Airdales

Jesse, we do alot of mule riding int he summer. The thing I have found with the curs is after ten miles in to a area they are pretty much toast. The Airedale will keep going when the curs are shaded up. Nothing hardier than a terrier. But on the flip side I dont think that Airedales make the best decoy dogs either

It's top secret
wink.gif

Our curs gather cattle from daylight til dark everyday for a month every time we gather. they have never quit on us. weve had horses give out and get sore after a week and need a break, but the dogs have to work everyday.

we usually gather 4 times a year. then they get used about everyday in the between times doing something. the only way they will quit is if they are killed by a coy.

Originally Posted By: grt56Tim, a Airdale wold be a great teammate for yor Jag's.

Thats what I was kind of thinking.

Tim

Last edited:
My neighbor had a jagd/airedale cross. I had hopes of breeding the male jagd I had to my female Airedale.

My neighbors dog seems to be doing good but he doesn't hunt her enough to find out. But for what little time she has seen in the field she seems like a decent dog. Its a cross I would be interested in for sure.

I am running a bluetick/jagd cross male right now that just turned 7 mo. old and saw his 6th or 7th trapped coyotes last night and can see the switch turning on in him. He was a different dog last night.

Airedales are like any other breed. Good ones and bad ones. Most folks don't or won't cull the ones they should.

Last edited:
Jesse, i dont know how many miles a day, but we will gather a few pastures that are around 1,000 acres a day with cows scattered. all over it. after getting them all gathered and keep them bayed while driving them to the lot we go back and look for stragglers. its alot more miles than we ride on horses and we can wear a horse out pretty quick. if i were guessing on the miles in a day that the dogs run and gather, i would have to guess around 20 miles?? i have no clue.lol

most are BMC. have some that are mixed with catahoula.

Originally Posted By: Brent Parker My neighbor had a jagd/airedale cross. I had hopes of breeding the male jagd I had to my female Airedale.

My neighbors dog seems to be doing good but he doesn't hunt her enough to find out. But for what little time she has seen in the field she seems like a decent dog. Its a cross I would be interested in for sure.

I am running a bluetick/jagd cross male right now that just turned 7 mo. old and saw his 6th or 7th trapped coyotes last night and can see the switch turning on in him. He was a different dog last night.

Airedales are like any other breed. Good ones and bad ones. Most folks don't or won't cull the ones they should.

Brent we have 3 of them and love them

Originally Posted By: Brent Parker

Well my airhead terrorist is basically a useless family pet, but she just doesn't get worked. I had her spayed. So I guess that counts as a cull.

She does sound the alarm as is a good watchdog for the house.

Originally Posted By: Devin69
UphillDoc but if the average jagd or patterdale was the same size said:
Devin-No, but seems like the natural way to go to me. I think for the folks that need/want a bigger dog than that the AD x Drauthaur might make some folks happy. I have tried AD x Terriers, AD x Bulldogs, AD x Hounds, AD x Curs, AD x Cowdogs, AD x Stags, some pure AD and different crosses of those listed...The AD x Bulldogs were my favorites.

Take care.

I have an airedale coming I am going to pick her on Monday i will let you know what i think then. Heard good and bad anout them only time will tell I guess.

Never been around terriers of any kind, till Devin talked me into a cross of his Jagd,Airdale. Been pretty happy with it thus far, but it is still a baby. This little dog is nuts, but he will go a 20 mile day will me beside a horse, fight cattle, and make it back to the rig everytime day after day.As for curs getting wore out gathering a "few 1000 acre pastures", cut them back on there feed, and use them more often.I know for a fact that I use mine daylight to dark, and never had them were out.Maybe the pitbull that Tony breeds into them takes out some of the dogs wind. Not being a dick, just saying that bred right a cur will wear out a horse, and 12 to 15 miles a day is common for us. not four times a year, I'm talking about 45 days in a row.I trade out horses but use the same dogs day after day, if a dog gets hurt, they get a break, I take a diff one,to fill the spot.Fed right, and shaped up, most dogs can keep up with horses on the gather.Just my thoughts.

Here is a funny picture..it is of my Dad's Airdale he got one after a very severe heart attack..maybe it effected his brain as well???? I grew up with old stories about his stepdad's airdale's and crosses..My old man's stepdad kept the wolf away during the 20-30's running coyotes and wolves in the alberta prairies( so the story goes anyway) he has told the story a thousand times.....crossed the airdales on greyhounds.

anyway this is dad's fat airdale under a cougar tree...she usually was to lazy to come along but was feeling energetic that day...

IMG_2649.jpg

Last edited:
Back