Do crows talk a different "language" in different areas?

Stevolwevol

I remember when I lived in Florida, the crows sounded distinctly different from the crows in Michigan. They seem to be the same species by their appearance. Has anybody out there in varmint land heard of this?

You should hear them in Germany!

They speak German!

And in France, you guessed it! French!

All kidding aside the only place i have heard crows is in AZ, ND, Nebraska and Colorado!

They all sounded the same, Caw Caw Caw!

The crows in Florida had a definite southern drawl. Actually in Michigan it a caw caw caw, in Florida it was something I can't quite type out, but different.

Southern crows = caw y'all, caw y'all, caw y'all
lol.gif

There are 4 different species of crows in North America and they all sound different. The American crow is the most common but there is also a Fish Crow,Northwestern Crow and the Tamaulipas(Mexican) crow.

Originally Posted By: venaticThere are 4 different species of crows in North America and they all sound different. The American crow is the most common but there is also a Fish Crow,Northwestern Crow and the Tamaulipas(Mexican) crow.
Except for having a southern accent, this may be the most plausible reason for the differences in crow talk. They looked the same, flew the same, and answered to the same hand call.

They might be Ravens and not a crow. They look an awful lot alike except for some size difference,Ravens are a little larger,and their tails have. a different shape when spread out.Their call is a little different too.

Originally Posted By: BearThey might be Ravens and not a crow. They look an awful lot alike except for some size difference,Ravens are a little larger,and their tails have. a different shape when spread out.Their call is a little different too. Would a raven respond to a hand crow call? I thought I did a better job and they came within shotgun range, I just didn't have one at the time.

Last edited:
Yes We can shoot crows here in Co. but not Ravens. They do not seem to like company as much as crows so if you see them in groups of say 2 or 3 check their size. Ravens are larger than crows.

As Venatic pointed out, there are different species of crows and they do sound a bit different.

Crows in other countries sound similar to ours, yet distinctly different, as well as in appearance.

Here's a South African Crow Shoot I videoed in 2007 near Cape Town. The calls (Foxpro and mouth calls)
are the typical sounds, yet the pied crows responded just the same, even though they have a different voice somewhat.

Back