Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2509333 - 06/19/13 09:55 AM Re: Airdales [Re: Jesse lackey]
PLOTTHOUND Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: WY
I've had a few and have one now. They do tend to destroy things when they are young. I have used them hunting bears to ducks.

#2510286 - 06/21/13 10:55 PM Re: Airdales [Re: Jesse lackey]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
As stated above, I think they were a different breed "back in the day".
Famous NM Game Warden, Elliot Barker who did did predator control and eventually ran Vermejo Park back in the thirties caught allot of Lions with his two Airedales.
I guess they live a good long time too as he has a pic in his book of them at 19 and 21 years old.

#2510402 - 06/22/13 11:41 AM Re: Airdales [Re: Coyote Cruiser]
Diogee Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: State of confusion
CC, I'd take the pup, then wear him out. He'll love it and it might save you some wear and tear on whatever the little terrorist decides to tear up. smile

They are a different breed.

#2514166 - 07/03/13 07:34 PM Re: Airdales [Re: Jesse lackey]
losthelegend Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Big Wonderful Western Wyoming
I have a 14 month old female Airedale and she is awesome! Although she ate my TV Cable, sprinkler system wire, outdoor electrical outlet cover and the trailer brakes on my camper! If I exercise the heck out of her, she does great. If its been a few days since I exercised her, she lets me know it is time to go for a run! I would not trade her for the world. Great stamina, awesome disposition and is very very loyal! I have harvested a few coyotes with her last winter but work interfered with hunting! Have fun you wont regret having an Airedale!

#2514835 - 07/05/13 07:08 PM Re: Airdales [Re: Jesse lackey]
Coyote Cruiser Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Gilbert AZ
Thanks for the replys.

#2938478 - 02/28/16 01:18 AM Re: Airdales [Re: Jesse lackey]
Lodgepole Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: montana
Well I'll throw in too. Had a Airedale -Lab cross pup from the pound & now a purebred female that i had spayed as she is parrot mouthed (did not catch that when i bought her ) I am not impressed by her so far ,not very keen nosed or keen in general. The cross with lab was fabulous ,Nose was superb ,could find lost trap sets in 2 foot of snow,would hit the water to retrieve,pulled a deer home on my trapper sled on wet grass on and on ! Now i have a 2 yr old AD cross with I guess maybe plot or cur (somewhat brindle )very much like the lab cross ,this dog is so willing to please and so wants a job ,sight and nose first class . The only downside so far is that he is slick haired and really does not like water but he will go in if there is a good reason. He is an outside dog all winter but is not as dressed for the cold as if he had more hair. I did not trap much this winter so he has not been used as much,though he and the female pulled a deer home on my sled ,she is a good dog on sled when i go ice fishing. I conclude that the first cross out with horses, dogs and cows is often a good one that brings hybrid vigor ! I have limited experience just my opinion.

#2951118 - 03/31/16 01:20 PM Re: Airdales [Re: Jesse lackey]
woodguru Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: California
We had the opportunity to watch a litter at about 9 weeks old that was from an 85 lb female and a 105 lb male. After almost two hours and watching them eat and play we were able to settle on one that we liked his personality a lot. He had an independence we liked, he didn't rush the food with the others, he watched and waited until they were done and went over and got what he wanted. The females sort of ruled the roost but he stood his ground with them and didn't let them push him around like the others did.

Getting a good one it helps to understand that there are two types, hunting and show breed. The show breed can't be over something like 55 pounds or they are disqualified. The other line is huge compared, I know a guy that has a 135 and a 125 pound male. The larger type are called Oorangs, breeders will say whether they are breeding show or Oorangs. Their personalities can run true to the parents so look for a breeder that has a history, they try to make pairings that have the best characteristics in temperament. Breeders that aren't paying attention to what they are doing can be selling puppies that are a mess both physically and temperament wise. We found this out looking for rescue Airedales, some of them are basket cases. There's a breeder in Oregon that has a record for consistently selling problem dogs.

I saw where people have been using Airedales to run coyotes down and kill them, the context was an article saying it was illegal in some states.

It would be fun to breed an Airedale to a Cur or another good decoy type dog, might come up with a great line of dogs.

I just wanted to add something in reference to breeders, the price fluctuates between $800 to $1200 or so, there are people who call themselves breeders that are selling basket cases for $800 and more, so it's not how much you are paying, it's about making sure the breeder has the right integrity and you like the pairing he is using. Good breeders are going to have females spoken for in advance, so deposits are often in order.

Edited by woodguru (03/31/16 01:36 PM)

Ignorance is not okay

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.