Move Over Bubba There's a New Dog in Town! Final

Ks, would this be the old Whitey in question?

DSC_0538.jpg

Yep, it's still going strong.

And the great saga continues.....

Dash has sure come a long way. Seems like the best of both the dogs working. It's awesome when your dog throws his head up and takes off, and comes back with a coyote.....

Gonzaga, yes he has. It's interesting how both dogs matured into coyote hunters in their own way. I can't say it was anything I did other than taking them hunting a lot. These curs are smart dogs and they figure out the game quickly.

Sean,

I found the VSSF II I was looking for at the Scheels store in Omaha. They sent it to the Scheels in Billings and I picked it up the day after Christmas. Another gift!
thumbup.gif

I'm getting a Leupold VX3 Long Range 6.5x20x40 with a CDS turret. They were 3 weeks backordered 10 days ago. Hopefully it will come in soon before I yank a scope off of another rifle. I have the same scope w/o the CDS on my .204.

I don't know what I did to the Ruger #1 but couldn't get it on paper at 100 yards today. It was 2 feet off to the left. Came back to the house, pulled the scope, blue locktighted the mounting screws and will try again sometime this week. I'm a knats hair away from pulling the scope on the .204 and going all in on the new Swift.

Day four found us staring down another coyote at 1000+ yards. I was fortunate enough to get these shots on the way to the next stand though:

DSC_6313_zps951ac1d4.jpg

DSC_6300_zps391c04a9.jpg

Around noon we finally call in a coyote to 200 yards. It’s quartering to me so I put the crosshairs right on the chest and squeeze. I hear a loud whack but the coyote didn’t fall and takes off running. Both dogs are in hot pursuit and over the hill they go. Almost an hour later they come dragging back and wounded coyote #2 of the hunt has gotten away. It’s at this time I decided the .204 would no longer be my go to gun! Late in the day we see 3 more coyotes but all were well over 800 yards and would not respond to calling. If you’ve been keeping track of the days, you’ll know it’s New Years Eve. I rang in the New Year sleeping in my old camper dreaming of hunts of past, present and future. :)

An Alberta Clipper was forecast for New Years Day. I took this video shortly before the winds got up to 30+mph and roads began drifting in.

By the time I got back to the camper the two track trail was drifted in and it took several passes with the truck to open up the snow enough to make my escape for home. The lack of coyotes and response of those I did see, it’s obvious I was hunting in a heavily hunted area. The hand calls are great but in these situations I was seriously considering breaking my vows and getting a new whiz bang electronic call! Ah, I think I just dated myself, electronic calls aren’t new anymore and everyone has one……….

Back