Coyote Doubles

UtahTrapper

When you have a pair of coyotes coming in to your calling how do you handle the siuation? If the coyotes are spaced (One farther ahead than the other) do you shoot one and then try to stop the other for a shot when he starts running or do you shoot on the run? This is when you're not hunting with a partner. I have always shot the coyote that is farther back and tried a closer running shot on the other coyote, haven't had much success stopping a coyote after a shot.

Utah--I agree with Greenside; shoot the 1 in front first because the 2nd coyote will see the 1st one go down. I have done this a lot, and it works good. Make sure the 1st one goes down dead with only 1 shot. Then get another round in your rifle, and then get on the distress call to stop the 2nd coyote. About 3/4 of the time the 2nd coyote will stop and look, and then start back to find the other coyote. Once he starts back to look he will generally keep coming/looking, but probably not approach closer than he was the 1st time. Anyway, wait until you know you can kill him, and the next time he stops to look; make sure you're on him and shoot. If everything works right you should have a pair of coyotes on the ground with 2 shots. Kinda neat, huh.

I have tried shooting the lead coyote and then trying to get the second coyote to stop but I have only been able to get the second coyote to stop about 1/2 of the time. Usually by getting on a call and giving him ki-yi's they will only half the time stop, so by the time you can tell the coyote won't stop he's a pretty good distance away for a shot. It usually been a better bet to shoot the farther one and then take a shot on the first coyote as he is turning to leave. This is what has worked for me.

Utah--I operate under the principle that I'd rather have one sure dead coyote on the ground than none. If the lead coyote gives me a shot I am comfortable with, I will take that one first almost every time. Once you take one of the coyotes, listen to Steve's advice and get on that wounded coyote call and a big percentage of the time that running coyote will stop to look back or at least slow down with that "over-the-shoulder" look to see what's going on. You have to give it some time though and have patience and confidence that the coyote will stop. It may be a long shot, but it will usually be a standing shot. I'd rather take a standing shot at 200+ yards than a shot at a running coyote even if the runner is only 75 to 100 yards away.

Like I said, though, it takes patience to wait for the runner to stop. It doesn't work all the time, but then what does.

Now there are those on this board who are super good shots on running game who would probably do better to take the back coyote and then pull down on the close one as it runs away. I'm not that good a shot on a running coyote, so I try to stop the lead dog for a standing shot if I can and then take my chances on stopping the back one for some kind of a shot.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 04-03-2001).]

I don't do well on doubles since I had shoulder surgery. I just can't seem to hit that second running target.The couple I have gotten where when I took the farthest yote and then was lucky enough to hit the closer one going away. I have never gotten one to stop after the shot but then maybe I'm not patient enough. Several times I have gotten 2 yotes on the same stand but they came in as singles at least 10 min. apart so I doubt that they where aware of each other.

------------------
Chuck

There might not be any wrong answers above, but I canmost closly support Silverfox's reply.

My opinion is you should not be bound by any hard and fast rules,in this case. Take your best shot. If the closest animal is moving fast and won't stop, take which ever shot you are sure of, first. There are times where the best shot is the closest one, but not always. Takes some fast analysis of the situation, but the easy shot should be apparent, if you aren't locked into a routine just because it seems logical.

Good hunting. LB

Not taking in to considerations a lot of factors such as terrain time of day or night, wind in relation to the direction of travel and if i think i can get one to stop or return to a coyotes distress cry. If both shots are some what equal +or- 50 yards I"m going to take the less aggressive first, which will generally be the farthest one first. Leaving the more aggressive one to retreat back to his now dead buddy only to meet the same faith? especially if his buddy doesn't go quickly you wont have to call if he is doing a rendition of the hot lead hope ! Seen it happen a time or two. This is of course is when the first one hasn't winded me about the time of the shot.

------------------

Good Hunting,

The Boogieman

Looks like I messed up and used the "ALWAYS"
word. I'll change that to most of the time you should shoot the first coyote.
smile.gif

It all depends on how far away each coyote is when you are ready to take the first shot.For example if dog number 1 is 60 yards and dog number 2 is 100 yards, I take #2 first.Reason being dog #1 is probably the more aggressive of the two and you have a better chance of stopping him for that second shot.Or maybe even calling him back.From my experience you shoot at dog # 1 first and the other one is gone for good.Now if it were longer shots(over 150yards) I take the closest dog without question.

When I shoot one coyote out of a double, whether it is the closer or farther one I have only been able to get about 1/2 of the other coyotes to stop for a shot. When I shoot the farther coyote and then try for the closer running shot I have been able to get about 1/2 of the coyotes. Most of the time when I have been able to get the surviving half of a double to stop, the shots have been long and I don't always hit as many as I shoot at. So I end up getting more coyotes when I shoot the farther coyote first. I usually wait until the first coyote is right on top of me before I shoot the further coyote so my running shot will be close and I have been able to do better this way. This is what I have found works best for ME. I will give your guys' way a try again a bit more later this year after when I'm not using curs. Thanks for your input.

I'm going to have to go with Boogieman also.
My belief and experience is that better odds go with shooting the farthest one back first (the less aggresive one)
My reasoning for what it's worth, is that the lead dog being the most aggresive has shown better odds of being called back or stopped after the shot.
The one running caboose usually (for me anyway)isn't as fearless and seems harder to stop.
~River Runner~

The only real reliable method I've found to stop the second in a pair is to get a bullet in them right fast.

If the conditions are right, I'll take the back yote first and then shooting the closer (first one in line) as it begins to enter warp speed.

If the first yote blows right by me I'm usually SOL but if he quarters away like they often do...you can stick a folk in him cause he's a done deal...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 04-04-2001).]

Actually the best method for taking doubles is to wait until they line up and take both of them with one shot.(saves on ammo)This goes back to a topic on another forum.
wink.gif

Anyone have any luck with this method...

UTcaller,

You know, you can't do that if you shoot a .17. You know, no exits. ;-)

But, I tend to take the farthest coyote first too. I'm not too bad on running shots and do pretty well if they aren't out a long ways. I've not had much luck stopping them but I do have luck hitting them on the run if they are a hundred yards or so.

Randy

------------------
Hunting the Red fox
http:.//www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/5460

I'm gonna tell the real truth here fella's. It does not pay to worry about how you are gonna kill em both. Take the easy shot, and try not to think about coyote #2 until coyote #1 is down and dead. Now you can move on to coyote #2. In open country, coyote #2 can usually be stopped with coyote distress squalls. If he stops out there at 200 yards or so and looks back, he just might join his buddy in coyote heaven.
smile.gif

Rich hit this deal square on the head. I have had greed cost me getting either coytoe many times.
One coyote on the ground beats two in the bush!

For what its worth heres how I generally handle things.

First is I try to maintain a constant awareness while I am on stand of the wind. Has it switched? Has it increased?
These things are going to tell me a few things . If a coyote or two is coming in and I know that from their angle of direction that the lead dog is fixing to hit my scent stream I try and stop him before he does.
I worry about number two after number one is down.
If they are not headed into my stream I try and wait as long as I can before stopping the leader. I want to stop him with a squeek or a whoop BEFORE he sees me. There is a second of time if you stop them before they see you that they do a double take before they boogie. If he sees you first he is most likely to just change gears and directions and you have a tough shot .

I want the sure thing. I want to let him come into definate killing range and then stop, and then drop the leader.
I then worry about stopping hte second one of possible. But at least I am not walking back to the truck kicking myself because I got greedy.

I have not found any fool proof way to kill the second one. your stand is important, if you can't see but 75 yards you are not going to have much luck. However if you have a couple hundred yards of visibility and you get on your hurt coyote yelp you will often stop Mr #2 out somewhere on hte back side of 100 to 200 yards for his look back.

Handling coyotes, one of my favorite topics. This usually seperates experienced callers from begginers. There is no hard fast rules here but there is plenty to consider. Steve Allen's theory of shooting the close coyote so the farther one watches him drop is an interesting theory. Something I had not considered.

This is my theory for open country in the north:

My first rule is to try to get both coyotes within 100 yards. If that can be accomplished and the coyotes are steady in their approach, I usually take the least aggressive coyote because the aggressive coyote is usually easier to stop. Sometimes they are both aggressive. Sometimes they are both timid. If there is a noticeable difference I will take the aggressor in many cases within 100 yards.

You need to read body language to tell adults from yearlings. Jueveniles will either act completely stupid following a shot if they are not educated, or they will run like heck if they are educated. Distress calls usually don't stop jueveniles after the shot as juevs do not have a maternal or mating instinct like adults do.

If they are within 100 yards and running hard, I may take the close coyote for fear of having him get too close. I would rather handle them out there a ways then get run over.

In a case where both coyotes cannot be brought into within 100 yards, I usually take the closest coyote. The sure thing.

As I said earlier, there is no hard fast rules to doing this right because every situation requires a different approach.

It takes extreme concentration to kill a coyote past one that is closer if you can see him in your periphial (sp?) vision.

Sometimes you have to kill a certain coyote before he winds you as Craig pointed out. Sometimes you have to shoot a certain coyote before he gets into cover. Only experience will teach you what to do and you will make mistakes before you gain that experience. Wiley E

Randy,you know those are my thoughts exactly(about the .17 and no exit holes)Thats why I like the .22-250. When you make those HUGE exit holes you stand a good chance of hitting that other coyote..
rolleyes.gif
But seriously it's all a matter of preference on which dog to shoot first,that and experience.

Back