vortex dead hold BDC

rcm243

Has anyone had any experience with this reticle? I gave my son a Nikon Monarch for his deer rifle that I didn`t like because the bdc was too bold for me,if these circles were about 3 times smaller in the Nikon then I would have kept it. They work very well on his gun with the load that he`s using, the gun hits exactly where it should on all of the circles,I`m considering the Vortex for his gun if the reticle is finer in size, the Vortex I`m talking about is the Viper HS with dead hold bdc RCM

i have the dead hold and love it. I hate Nikons BDC its way to bold like you said. I highly recommend the Dead Hold. Its very clear but doesnt clutter the scope

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243i have the dead hold and love it. I hate Nikons BDC its way to bold like you said. I highly recommend the Dead Hold. Its very clear but doesnt clutter the scope Is the dead hold bdc on your vortex about the size of the mildot in diameter or slightly larger? RCM

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243i find it slightly smaller and they are small hash marks. Let me see if i can get a picture taken I get it,there not circles like on the Nikon,they`re similar to the reticle in the Vortex PST, are they spaced at moa? RCM

The finer portion of the Vortex BDC reticle is .2 MOA, and the Nikons are .24 MOA as advertised at the optics highest power.

The subtensions of the Vortex dots are 1.5, 4.5, 7.5, and 11.0 MOA at optics highest power. The reticle is technically not a MOA reticle since the dot subtensions don't repeat, like say the Nightforce NP-R reticles. The subtensions are designed to match some arbitrary trajectory [as all BDC reticles are designed to do], which may or may not fit another trajectory in even hundred yd. intervals. All BDC reticles will fit some trajectory depending on conditions, but none will fit all trajectories.

When a BDC reticle doesn't fit a particular trajectory it has to then be applied for such just like one would apply a mil-dot or MOA reticle, easy enough to calculate and test the same as any other multi-stadia reticle.

Personally i like the windage points of either reticle very well, or at least as well as any BDC reticle that's not a tree reticle system--my preferred BDC reticle for field apps.

Back