Are the federal Flight control buckshot loads the real deal for coyotes ?

I wouldn't use buckshot, the tungsten Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote Load would be my choice. Use a non-wad stripping choke and hit the pattern range and tell us how it performed for you. That is the only way to know how it'll shoot from your barrel and chokes. I sure wouldn't doubt its performance on game, tungsten BB's tear 'em up and that Federal load is the densest of all the factory loads as far as I know.

I use them for deer haven't tried them on yotes but they should work. Every gun I and several friends tried the flight control loved them, 1 guy couldn't get his 870 to shoot anything under 36" @ 40yrds put the flight controls thru it 20" pattern with all 12 pellets on the 00's. I wish they loaded the #4 buck with the flight control wad.

I got a call from a good friend who is a SD Game Warden. The SDGFP just switched shotguns and ammo to a different version of the Rem870 and Federal low recoil with flight control wads. According to him, the difference is night and day. The new shotguns have a fixed IC choke whereas the old guns used a Mod choke and Remington 00Buck. Hits on target more than doubled.

Admittedly, I have not used this ammo personally. I do consider the source very reliable however.

In reference to the actual Federal 00 Buck with Flite Control, I tested 8 or 10 different 00 Buck loads for my Benelli Tactical and that load shot best by a good bit. It also shot best from an Improved Modified choke. It is a good load for some purposes, however there are better loads for coyotes than 00 Buck anything.

Some people been posting that with the flight control wad you should shoot a CYL choke for the best pattern because the idea is to keep the shot in the wad. If there is any choke at all the wad is seperated from the shot. I have not tried it myself but it does make sense.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Some people been posting that with the flight control wad you should shoot a CYL choke for the best pattern because the idea is to keep the shot in the wad. If there is any choke at all the wad is seperated from the shot. I have not tried it myself but it does make sense.

Misinformation... or BS. You should use a non-wad stripping choke – period. That is the only concern with the Flite Control wad because the peculiarity of this wad can cause the wad and shot column to bridge in the choke if the choke has some mechanism to retard the wads passage. That would result in the same condition and damage as shooting a slug through a turkey choke. The constriction is still to be worked out on the pattern board. Pure Gold, Kick’s, Indian Creek and several other choke companies now make non-wad stripping extended chokes for use with the Flite Control wad with about the same constrictions as their more normal products and they work great.

Mine patterned best with the full choke 2nd was the light full the worst was improved cylinder tube. I spoke to a Federal rep he stated the flight control was designed to be used with chokes but nothing tighter than a full. On a side note tried them in the home defense gun 18" barrel straight bore no choke and they shot about 24-30" at 25-30 yards.

Ruddy,
Interesting results from your cylinder bore. For comparison my Benelli Tactical with the 18 ½” barrel and the Improved Modified ( .025” constriction) shoots a complete pattern into 8” - 10” consistently at 25 measured yards on the range. I tried everything from skeet to extra full through my gun with all those different buckshot loads. A little constriction is definitely an improvement for tighter patterns and the Flite Control wad responds well to a non-wad stripping choke with some constriction.

Back