coyote question for all you pros out there

UTcaller

What Time of the year do consider the best for calling numbers of coyotes.The states that are being considered are Utah,Wyoming,Nevada,Arizona.The reason is that I have hunted in all these states and Know the areas well.Thanks

I'm not sure everyone will agree but my theory is this, it varies from year to year, and I don't know why, but whenever the pup dispersal is for that year, the calling can be unreal. The pups of the year seem to stay together for a while and after ma and pa kick them off on their own they are absolutely a blast. I've seen it from Sept. plumb into Jan.. Maybe Doc or Steve can explain why it varies so much from year to year, but I have killed as many as five all together, all at one stand, and I theorize, all of the same litter. And they are dumber than dirt. I hope the biologists have a better answer, or at least a reason why. I'm sure Wiley E would know about this also. I've seen the same thing around traps and M44's also. They will come in a bunch, say to a water hole, and if you have enough equipment out, you'll have several of them. Just my 2 cents worth, and that really is all it is worth.

Late August and September. Get'em before the dispersal or suffle, and you'll get the whole nine yards. Talk about multiples!

Greenside

I have done the best in Aug.,and Sept. with alot of multiple dog days to say the least.The reason I ask was not to long ago I read a post where Steve Craig said that Mar. and Apr. are one of the best times of year to kill coyotes.To be honest I have not hunted them much this time of year.I've done most of my callin from June through January.But I think I am going to get out here in the next couple of days.

right now!

for jan thru april is the best time for me. I don't have some scientific reason for this so I won't even attempt to fill you with a bunch of bs. But me personally jan feb mar apr are by far the best.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

I feel that it is regional to some extent. I like to go north early in the season, and the animals seem to run better in September and October. I think that further south, the hunting gets about as good as it gets in December and January.

Of course, this is a controversial subject on the 'net, but for we California hunters, the season ends in February to observe the denning season. In thirty-three years, I have never bothered coyotes from March through June. A personal decision, but I give them enough pressure during the prime time of the year, so I can afford cut them some slack during the breeding season.

Good hunting. LB

That's a tough question and it really depends on area, mange, weather, etc.

I would say for sheer numbers, Sept. and Oct. but the fur is not prime yet. For prime fur it would be about Nov. 1. For howling and helping out ranchers, March can be really great. Depends! Wiley E

Back