Wyoming Mule Deer Hunting (need advice and help)

theduke308

Hello, I am currently planning a hunt for next fall to hunt mule deer in Wyoming. We are planning to hunt Region D in the Centennial area on public land in Medicine Bow National Forest. We usually go out and hunt the Saratoga side of Medicine Bow but we noticed this year it is a limited license quota area so we decided to try the Centennial area that seems to still be in the general license for region D. We have not sent our money for licenses in so if anyone has any other recommendations as to where to go for good public land mule deer hunting in Wyoming please, all info would be greatly appreciated. We are from WV and hate to drive 1500 miles to have a lousy deer season. There are 4 of us going (all my family) and would also greatly consider paying a trespass fee to hunt elsewhere in Wyoming. We are not dead set on Saratoga but also do not want to pay for a guided hunt either. If anyone is from Wyoming and can help please come forward, I can provide my cell phone number via PM if you wish to talk on the phone instead of typing. Thanks for any and all help
Ryan

I hunted near Cody WY this year and killed a Buck. My friend killed a much bigger Buck. In 2009 we hunted just above Centennial. I killed a 4X3 and my friend was skunked. We saw more Bull Moose (5) than we saw legal Bucks (3) We saw a total of 8 Moose. Supposed to be one of the best Moose hunting areas in the State. We hunted 11 days and saw 3 legal Bucks one of which I killed.

here is a buck my son took this year above encampment
DSC000656.JPG

up by the halfway house
we saw many more deer there then we see in my favorite hunting spot outside casper.
i haven't shot a deer on Muddy since 02 because the lack of deer there. G&F should split area 66 and close muddy's 1st range and go limited quota on the 2nd range.

I hunted elk near Encampment this year. In all my hunting I only saw 4 deer only one of which was a buck. We did bring home seven elk however for 10 hunters. If you have to apply anyways you might consider putting in for an area 60 type 1 as a party application. it is national forest between Cheyenne and Laramie. Hard to draw but great quality bucks there and a pretty easy hunt in terms of getting around. Major drawback is the wind. I have hunted the Centennial area alot and there are deer there and it is picturesque mountain type hunting but it seems to get alot of pressure. Really study the topo and ownership maps and you will find some areas that start at the river and go west that you can hike in on while staying on public ground.

Originally Posted By: Shooter44I hunted elk near Encampment this year. In all my hunting I only saw 4 deer only one of which was a buck. We did bring home seven elk however for 10 hunters. If you have to apply anyways you might consider putting in for an area 60 type 1 as a party application. it is national forest between Cheyenne and Laramie. Hard to draw but great quality bucks there and a pretty easy hunt in terms of getting around. Major drawback is the wind. I have hunted the Centennial area alot and there are deer there and it is picturesque mountain type hunting but it seems to get alot of pressure. Really study the topo and ownership maps and you will find some areas that start at the river and go west that you can hike in on while staying on public ground.

He is a NR and that changes thing when looking at hard to draw tags..

The mule deer numbers in southern Wyoming (and northern Colorado for that matter) are really down due to a combination of bad winters the last several years, development, poor management by the G&F, range conditions, and of course predators. The G&F are trying to slow the decline by making the units in the Upper North Platte River valley draw only for the next couple of years. I am afraid the days for general mule deer units in Wyoming are numbered. If you still want to try to hunt general units in southern Wyoming, you will have to go in knowing the numbers are down and be willing to work harder for them. Otherwise, you might want to start researching the limited quota/draw areas and be happy with a tag once every several years. I can't speak for the rest of Wyoming, but that seems to be where things are headed in southern Wyoming.

Knapper

ROPER As far as we know they are. Bought ALL my licenses that were available for 2013 on Jan. 3rd. Got everything but my general deer; which was not yet available. Could be they screwing with the pricing right now.

Back