Calling them off a kill

yote hunter

Was in South Dakaota two weeks ago and tried to call a couple of coyotes off of a calf kill. Temps with wind chill were -30. The coyotes would look up the advance maybe 30 to 40 yards then go back to the kill. Was using a howler then a pup in distress. We gave up calling staked out the carcass and killed three as they came in to feed. Has anybody been successful calling them off a kill and what sounds did you use? Were you able to watch their reactions? Yote Hunter.

Yote hunter--It gets worse than that. I have had the same experience trying to call them off of taking a nap. Once they decide it is nap time you have to crawl up on them and just shoot them, because they simply are not going to move.

I have even had this happen when they were coming into the call. I have had both red fox and coyotes coming in (these were all single animals) and apparently they went by a spot that had "nap time" written all over it, because they both just collapsed and it was nap time. Amazing, but true.

Steve is right! Would you leave a prime rib for a rabbit that you had to butcher yourself? LOL! Sorry, that's the best I could do. Kinda like a hole with dead cats around it (inside joke).

Dave, It is hard to call them off a kill or away from a nap. People blame themselves for these situations that are out of their control. A sniper should have no problem blasting them before they get there. One of the most effective calling sounds known to coyotes is the sound of a dead carcass! LOL!

I would get as close to the carcass as you can and call them to it. Use it to your advantage. Make sounds that they would make if they were establishing their pecking order at the carcass. Wiley E

I have had some times when they refused to leave a dead cow to come to my calls. I have also had em leave the carcass and come to me at full bore. You just can't figure those coyotes.

Calling over a kill is a very hard thing to do,just this year we were calling in an area that had some sheep wintering.The owner of the sheep who was a good friend of mine,had been in the area 6 days and had already lost 5 ewes.So we thought we would give him a hand.Now I know I'm no Wiley E,but I thought we could get at least one to come to the call.LOL
wink.gif
But my brother and I made 19 stands between daylight and dark and came up with a giant goose egg.We howled and rabbit called til we were blue in the face.Wiley hit it on the head,if you had lamb chops why would you go after a damn jack rabbit.They are a lot less of a meal and alot harder to catch..

I've found that if you are working off a kill or are working an area that coyotes have been killing stock you might as well bypass the "meal" distress cries and reach for the howler or the electronics with similar sounds. You are far more likely to get a response that way than sounding like the 5th course to a already full dinner plate. No doubt as the other posts have mentioned, ambushing them at the kill is always a good bet.

Yotetrapper

I've found that if you are working off a kill or are working an area that coyotes have been killing stock you might as well bypass the "meal" distress cries and reach for the howler or the electronics with similar sounds. You are far more likely to get a response that way than sounding like the 5th course to a already full dinner plate. No doubt as the other posts have mentioned, ambushing them at the kill is always a good bet.

Yotetrapper

My opinion,Not gonna happen.We have alot of cattle on my dads place and lose a few each year.The coyotes are not gonna leave a sure meal for a call.

Later,
Justin

I don't disagree with the logic being expressed here, not withstanding the fact that I have done it several times. It's the same old story, curiosity. I know they aren't really hungry, but I have called them off a carcass on the run. Probably different circumstances out west, hard to say?

Generally, you roll right on by a dead cow, parking out of sight. Gotta be especially quiet, approach as close as you dare, and make rabbit sounds, yeah, rabbit sounds. A short squall is all it takes. They most always come close enough for a decent shot, although sometimes it is one that you didn't see in the first place.

Good hunting. LB

The coyotes are not gonna leave a sure meal for a call. - Jbrad

Sorry Jbrad! You swallowed the "absolute" poison pill! Imagine 50 lashes with a wet noodle. Ok, I am finished. No offense! LOL!

You see, I have to enforce the "always" and "every time" laws here because it reminds me how often I break them myself. If you are not following me, I am the worst at "absolutes" and it gets me in trouble so I am passing on the cure for my own disease here! A friendly reminder!

The point is that coyotes can be called off a carcass and that they do not respond to calls just out of hunger. Maybe you have never seen it happen but it happens!

Had you said, "coyotes USUALLY can't be called off a carcass, I would have smiled and gave you an imaginary "bucky beaver" badge for not swallowing the poison absolute pill. Go and sin no more! LOL! Wiley E

Back