"BEST" Bobcat caliber

yotehunter57

I been thinking about getting a "Bobcat" rifle.
My choices of calibers are 22mag, 22 Hornet, and maybe the 17 Hornet. I don't want anything I need to reload for as I don't reload, so 17 Rem, 17 Fireball, etc are out.

I want something that will take a cat at 100 yards or less, but with minimal fur damage, so let's eliminate the 17hmr, as I don't want to cut a cat in half.

I am really leaning toward the 22mag, as the price of a rifle would be more affordable to my budget.

What's your thoughts on the subject?

Shayne

Allot depends on where you live. Most of the Cats I kill are bigger than the majority of Coyotes in say,, TX or Az.
It's also my "opinion" (and I think I kill as many or more Cats as anyone) that folks tend to underestimate how hardy Cats are.
Of the rounds you listed, I'd choose the 22H, but still think the hydrostatic shock delivered by the 17Rem makes it about as close to the perfect Cat round as you can get.
This is only one example, and I'm not bashing the 22WMR cause I like it allot, but I shot this 22 pounder this year at 40 +/- yrds (double lung) and she ran about 50yrds into the thickest brier patch on the mountain before giving up the ghost.

005bil.jpg

Again, that's just one example, but I won't be using it again.
In my mind, a little sewing's better than loosing em, and trust me, without a dog you can loose a Cat in a hurry.

Thanks RePete, honest opinions are what I'm after.

I would love to have a 22 Hornet, as my wife could use it for deer hunting also.
Don't have screaming fits about a 22 hornet not being an ideal deer cartridge, it's the low recoil that she needs.

It may be hard for many to believe, but less than 20 years ago coyote abd bobcats were rimfire or shotgun only in Arkensaw, unless a gun deer season was open.
Today, still no buckshot, unless a modern gun deer season is open, T shot maximum.

What would be the most economical rifles that would hold around 1moa?

Shayne

You have the 17 Hornet listed as one of your picks but don't want the 17 FB because you don't want to reload for it. I reload for all my centerfires. I am a 17 cal fan for cats myself.

Although my 17 Mach IV actually shoots the factory 17 FB cartridges with the 25gr Hornady HP so well that I really don't need to reload for it, I still do, because I have all the equipment.

I have read that several people have accuracy problems with some 22 Hornets. I was lucky with my Kimber Cascade, it shot great, but I'm just not a big fan of the 22 Hornet. I like the 221 FB more, so I kept my Rem 700 Classic in 221FB and sold the Kimber.

Unfortunately, I only shoot a few cats a year at best, but, fortunately, I have been extremely lucky on all but two. One got away, never found it, and the other got a big ugly spot from my 22-250 AI.

"I have read that several people have accuracy problems with some 22 Hornets."

My CZ 527 Hornet will drive tacks, I have not heard of accuracy issues.

Yea, I hear that the CZ's shoot great, but I am a little biased with the CZ's. I own over 1/2 dozen of them presently.

A friend sold a Sako and a Browning micro both in 22 Hornet that shot very well too. I hope the poster is happy with whatever he chooses.

I use a .22 Mag with CCI HP+V. So far I haven't lost a cat, furthest was 83 yards, closest was 7. Had one with hole he side stepped and it was a glancing shot.

Originally Posted By: 7887mm08i THINK A 222 WOULD BE JUST PURRFECT

I like the way you think.
I almost recomended it when he added Deer to the equasion but it wasn't on his list.
Besides,,, Like Dan, I still think the 17's (Rem or FB) are tops for Cats so I guess my answer really is "none of the above but the Hornet'll get ya by".

22 hornet does an awsome job. If using on deer do yourself a favor and shot 45gr+. I have shot all kinds of critters with the hornet and have not had one run off and leave me yet.

You would probably need to reload for. 222 for cats. I know I had to. This new 17 Winchester rimfire looks interesting.........

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: 7887mm08i THINK A 222 WOULD BE JUST PURRFECT

I like the way you think.
I almost recomended it when he added Deer to the equasion but it wasn't on his list.

As for deer, it would be my wifes gun. And where she hunts, she has a solid rest with a 75 yard maximum shot, plus she neck shoots them all.

Shayne

Adding the ability to take a (120+ pound) Deer to the "Perfect (20+ pound) Bobcat Gun" doesn't make the least bit of sense to me, but everyone's got their own idea of things.

I agree with RePete on this. The 17FB or 17 Rem. have Cat wrote all over them, especially the 17FB. 22 Hornet is also good. As for Deer, I would get her a 222 or a 223 and use it for Deer, then get a 17 caliber for Cats.

Yeah, i may try to get her to use my 223 for deer, and I'll get a cheap 22mag for now.

I saw a Marlin at Wal Mart yesterday for $219, and my gun/pan shop guys had a Henry for $419.
The Henry is more than I can afford right now, but was one sweet feeling rifle. And way to nice looking to paint or scratch up in a thicket.

Now the synthetic stocked, matte finished Marlin, would be no problem to Krylon.

Besides Henry, does anybody else make a pump action 22mag? A pump would make for a quick second shot if needed.

Shayne

I think that the 17's [center fire] are the perfect called in cat caliber. Having said that, I use a 222 Rem for most night and close called in work, cats and dogs with fox.

But if you reload, The .223 Rem is the best of all of it. You can load down to very near 22 Hornet velocities if you want, and load up with heavier bullets for deer.

Cat dedicated round for me would be in a 17. I just haven't figured out which one as of yet.

Originally Posted By: Smokeless

But if you reload, The .223 Rem is the best of all of it.

It may well be the best of the big bores (.224's
smile.gif
) but it ain't got no soul...
Now the 222? It just oozes soul..

PS,,, you definatly need a 17.
I'd start with a 17Rem and work your way down to the AH.
Least that's what I did, and look how awsome I turned out.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePete
PS,,, you definatly need a 17.
I'd start with a 17Rem and work your way down to the AH.
Least that's what I did, and look how awsome I turned out.
laugh.gif

Yea, Charlie just reeks awesome. When he shot that big cat, that wasn't a tear in his eye, that was just a little of his awesome leaking out.

Back