How to force a patina

EasternPredHunter

I'm gonna force a patina on my Case large trapper. The blade is Chrome Vanadium. How should I go about giving it a nice patina that looks like it had been carried in a pocket for years

High carbon blades like 1095 will take a patina if you

1. degrease first..really degrease.
2. apply HOT APPLE VINEGAR W/ a cotton ball or swab, repeat

Not so sure a high chromium or stainless steel blade will take a patina but never tried.

Best.

I have a couple high carbon Japanese chef knives and it was recommended by the distributor that I use plain yellow mustard. Rub it on, let it sit for about 5 minutes and wash off. If you dab it on with a sponge you can actually leave a nice pattern.

Are there any types of steel that cant be forced? Im pretty interested in this as well and would like to know more.

EDIT: And can potatoes cause patina or staining of the blade? While helping my parents move they couldnt find the kitchen knives. Let my mom borrow my Rainshadow pack/skinner and she cut some potatoes with it to make fries, she didnt clean the knife and I found it a couple hours later but there a couple small stains on the blade that wont scrub off so im curious if its just potatoe stains or something similar to patina?

Last edited:
Yes, potatoes, onions, citrus will all cause "patena". How much depends on the steel though.

Here's a GEC with 1095 Carbon Steel that I did with plain ol white vinegar followed by a good rub down with Kroil and steel wool.

003-11.jpg

And some natural patena.
006-2.jpg

I like the natural better, but I get allot of compliments on that GEC.

Back