Calling in Feb. and March

Wiley E

This may be more of a Northern thing. Some of the most exciting and rewarding calling can be had at this time of year. If you want to switch from recreational fur calling to helping a rancher by taking out some territorial calf killers, now is the time. The calling can really be great at this time of year. Livestock are usually congregated and the coyotes are usually close by. This time of year the coyotes are breeding and are starting to show some territorial instincts. Howling can really have it's advantages at this time of year. It is fun to shoot coyotes and when a rancher appreciates your results, that is a nice way to top off a successful hunt. Some guys get access to hunt other game by removing coyotes during this time of year. This is my favorite time of year to call because the coyotes are usually more congregated and they are also more territorial. Give it a try if you haven't. Wiley E

wiley,

As a matter of fact I am scheduled to participate in a hunt this coming weekend to help out some ranchers with that very situation. I have about half a dozen ranchers that are calving cows right now. A number of cows and calves for that matter have died in some fashion or abother. All of the ranchers have strategically placed the carcasses so that they would attract the local coyote population. As it stands as of this morning there are about 10 locations with carcasses. As many as 12 coyotes at each location have been spotted at one time. Looks like I had better get my skinning knife shaprened up. What do you think?

------------------
Brian K. Bentley

Hunting is not just our right, It's our HERITAGE

Very good advise on this thread Wiley. From now until crops of corn and soybeans gets too tall to see the coyotes is the time I have my best luck here in Iowa. My sixty year old body likes the spring weather much better also.
smile.gif

Wiley--I also agree with the late winter responses by coyotes. February and March are incredibly good months to be out. If you are only going to use howlers at one time period all winter, now is the time.

Brian,

About that skinning knife, are the hides worth skinning this time of year, especially in Texas? I have already heard about coyotes in my area (central IL) having rub marks.

tcoop

Back