Coyotes howling at your calling.

VCinRI

I have heard mixed opinions on this subject.

I would like to know what the majority of you think when coyotes start howling at your calling.

VCinri,
For several years I have been convinced that whenever a coyote hangs up on me and starts to howl or bark, that he is suspcious of the situation. He wants to come in, but senses that something is wrong. My solution in the past has been to just give up on that coyote and move on. If you have a calling pardner with you, one hunter can sometimes circle around the howler and shoot the bugger while the other hunter keeps on calling to keep the howlers attention.

[This message has been edited by Rich Cronk (edited 03-07-2001).]

Originally posted by VCinRI:
I have heard mixed opinions on this subject.

I would like to know what the majority of you think when coyotes start howling at your calling.

VCinRI,
You may also try stop calling and just sit there. His curisoity may get the better of him. Yote Hunter.

It depends on whether you are talking about warning barking or howling. If they are howling, just call like you normally would and consider yourself fortunate to know what direction they will probably approach you from. If they are warning barking, which is usually a lot of barking instead of howling, then they usually sense that something is not right. You can leave one guy to entertain them and have the other guy sneak them as Rich has suggested.

As a general rule of thumb, if a coyote is close they will usually come in without answering. If they are mid range they will generally howl awhile then come in. If they are quite a distance, they will usually howl for quite a while and not come in. You have to move on them. Right Albert? LOL!

I hope that helps! Wiley E

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 03-07-2001).]

If its a simple lone howl then your still "golden"

BUT :

If it sounds like a group noise or there's lots of yippin and yappin involved, my experience shows youre pretty much busted...

(got some of that this weekend while bowhunting coyote....)

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

Yeah it seems to be a bad sign when you have a coyote start howling. I have not had one come in once they start this routine. Plus they tell ever coyote within an earshot that something is up. Then other coyotes are last apt to come in, because the red flag has been raised. Not good at all. All though I have called some coyotes in and have had them bark really excitedly while coming in. I noticed this was with younger animals too.

Another sign that I dont like to see is when a coyote sits down. Usually they wont come any more.

Chad

I agree with Wiley,it all depends on the howls they are making.If it is a warning bark howl pack it up and move 4 or 5 miles away because they have wised up every coyote in the area that somethings not natural.But if it is a challenge howl or lone howl you stand a very good chance in calling one in.

It seems like the only time I have that happen is when it's close to running time;or early in the morning when everyone sounds off anyway. I've had pretty good luck with answering back with a deeper bark; a challenge! It's tough to know where a group of dogs call home, but frequently there's a line they won't cross. If your the intruder,who crossed their line with your nasty bark, they'll come to kick your butt.

i find that if they howl once or twice and then you don't hear anymore keep howling and calling with whatever distress call your using they are most likely on their way in they take awhile but they will come. If they howl for more than about 5 minutes pack up and leave they know something is wrong.

Last evening i had a coyote bark at my call at about 300 yards then came in to 100 yards and still barked. I never seen it. It did bark like a coyote and i was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them. This happend about 12 minutes into the calling and and lasted for about 8 more minutes. It probably barked about 6 times . It was so thick where it was barking from i could not see it.

I agree with Robb from Scottsdale, and also with Wiley, and I have been busted many times to.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

I will third what wiley said. I was down hunting with Wiley a couple of weekends ago. I will give you an illustration of what Wiley means. First stand first day we were approaching a ridge to call from when the coyotes started howling over on the other side With another group howling off in the distance. We continued to our destination and Wiley E started calling. right away they answered with a warning barking and howling Wiley E with his sharp eyes managed to pick out four coyotes in the distance. He persisted in his calling and managed to draw one out of the group which he shot. we then walked approx. 3/4 mile towards the second group. once we got there Wiley E howled again and received an answer we then used distress cries nothing showed. we then Moved about 1/3 of a mile closer and howled again we inexactly received a challenge howl in return. Wiley E waited a short period and challenged back the coyote answered again you could tell it was on it's way. We waited and the coyote arrived Wiley E coaxed it a little closer with the kiss of death and then he shot it. We continued on the stand and nothing else showed up.

This situation brings up a couple of questions. is it a complete waste of time to continue calling after a warning bark howl?

Two is it nessacarry to move 4-5 miles after warning barking?

I fully believe that the only reason we collected the second coyote was because we moved closer to where the coyote was. I was able to see a similar situations execept for the warning barking/howling again that weekend. We were able to get coyotes to approach us by moving closer to them.

If I have interpreted this wrong Wiley E please correct me.

[This message has been edited by albert (edited 03-12-2001).]

That's pretty accurate Albert. We had tough conditions to work with as far as crunchy snow and warmer weather. The first stand I think the coyotes heard our vehicle and / or heard our approach and saw us crest the ridge. I am sure that one or more of those coyotes had us pegged and the warning barking prevented their approach. I would guess that the coyote that did approach was more intrigued with the sounds than he was cautious about the warning barks of one of the other coyotes.

Getting back to the original question, you have to be able to distinguish the difference between a warning bark and a howl before you know how to handle this situation. Ed Sceery has a video on howling that does a real good job of illistrating these various sounds. Wiley E

Back