Do You stop the coyote for teh shot or shoot em on the run

howler

I like to stop the coyote for a standing shot, just bark at them like a dog and they will stop you will have plenty of time for a good shot, this comes out the Randy Anderson Video

Originally posted by howler:
I like to stop the coyote for a standing shot, just bark at them like a dog and they will stop you will have plenty of time for a good shot, this comes out the Randy Anderson Video

Stop them for the shot, hit percentages are much higher. I'll bark or use a mouse squeaker. Yote Hunter.

Sometimes they will stop and some times they won't, so learning to hit em on the run will help you whack more coyotes. I would rather they would stop every time like they say in the books and video's because I ain't the worlds best rifle shot.

25 years ago, a friend of mine from Sante Fe NM by the name of Sceery, taught me to WHOOOOOP!!! at the coyote as he came into where I wanted to stop him. It works EVERY time. Squeaks and Barks will not always stop them, but the Whooop will.
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Steve.....
could you do that again?
biggrin.gif

In the past, I've stopped them with whoops, shrill whistles, "hey coyote", hand waving and squeeks. I've learned the closer you let them come, the harder they are to stop! The whoop or bark has been the most effective for me.

Greenside

While calling with hand calls or the new electronic callers with the remote feature so that you can turn off the distress crys before you whistle, bark or whoop, then it works fairly well to stop a coyote for the shot. Now let's say that you have taped a minute or so of silence on your calling tape, you set the machine 50 yards cross-wind and let er rip. You have no remote control now remember? Ok, in this situation there are many times in which a coyote will run in, circle the speaker and leave again. In that situation, well nothing stops them EVERY time except a bullet.

It works EVERY time. Squeaks and Barks will not always stop them, but the Whooop will. - Steve Craig

Steve, WOW! You just swallowed the poison "ALWAYS" pill! Man, be careful! You know where that got me. LOL!

Don't be offended here but I am going to have to spank you a little for that one my friend! LOL! Nothing will stop them EVERY time for MOST callers in MOST situations. Stop them "MOST" times? Sure! "MANY" times? You bet! "EVERY" time? NO WAY! Maybe for you, but not for me or many others in many situations.

Maybe it's something in the area and the way you call that allows you to stop them "EVERY" time. The word "EVERY" is usually interpretted as all coyotes, in all situations, for ALL coyote callers.

I have barked, waved, whooped, you name it short of tackling them, SOME coyotes won't stop just as Rich Cronk stated. I have been down that road many, many times. If you can show me a way to "ALWAYS" stop every coyote in every situation, I will be forever indebted to you.

This, incidentally, is one of my favorite topics and I will give you an example of just how stupid I was.

When you are white camoflauged on snow cover you will SELDOM get them to stop no matter what you do! Do you know why? Because they can't see anything that's why! Why would they stop? They "USUALLY" have to see something coming from the sound of the call or something that is out of place in order for them to stop. They have a line on the site but they will usually question the distance if they can't see anything. That is the same reason why coyotes will hold up when you are calling from a bare hillside.

One day I was wondering why I couldn't get them to stop on snowcover with white camo on when it finally slapped me along side the head on the way home. They couldn't see anything. That is precisely why I do not wear a face net in the open areas that I call. When I bark or whoop, they see my face and they will usually stop. Not always though! On snow cover I wear a dark glove to wave at them when I bark or whoop. In heavy cover I think face camoflauge is a must and I will wear face paint when I really get serious about it.

Howler, to answer your question, Unless I am feeling surly, I usually try to stop them. Preferably broadside! If I cannot get them to stop before or between 25 to 75 yards, I will shoot them on the run before they get too close. The closer they get, the harder it is to swing and stay with them. An experienced coyote caller knows that a 10 yard running shot is one of the most difficult shots to make even though that missed shot will make your friends laugh the loudest. That is just their lack of experience showing.

That is my rule of thumb and it has treated me very well for many years with many coyotes.

Handling coyotes is a lot like team roping. It all has to come together at just the right time. Certain teams are always better at it than others. To quote Bill Austin who quoted Kenny Rogers, "you have to know when to hold them and know when to fold them". LOL! I have some more tips on handling coyotes properly that I am saving for a later date. To quote Carly Simon, "ANTICIPATION"! LOL! Wiley E

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 03-07-2001).]

Wiley E.,
I can sure tell that you have been there and done that. I used to complain to my good friend Monte Dodson about the coyotes not stopping for a shot. "Don't wait for em to stop, SHOOT EM" says old Monte. Well I just couldn't stand Monte picking on me like that so I started shooting the runners. Sure I try to stop them, but when they won't stop--Whoo man it is fun watching them somersault through the scope while they are running full bore!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I gotta jump in here, even if it is to agree with what is being said.

First, if there is any way possible, wait for your animal to stop. You have to go with the percentages. Nobody is so good that they should take a running shot, if they don't have to do it.

If you have learned to read body language, and you decide he isn't going to stop on his own, give him an inducement.

Usually, a lip squeak is the first thing that you try, followed by a bark.

Hell, I have even tried a burgler alarm, a whistle, honk the horn, and surprisingly effective; just talk to him. But really, there are times when he won't cooperate....so, learn to shoot him while he is moving.

Here again, you need to learn WHEN to shoot a moving animal. Wiley mentioned that they get more difficult up close, and I myself, prefer to handle them at about fifty yards, if possible.

If he is just coasting along, it is sometimes to your advantage to let him see you move. Sort of herd him toward or away from something.

Whatever it takes. That's why I carry a shotgun and a rifle, when they come in pairs or get inside on you.

Can't get them all, but there are those animals that you need to kill, when you get the chance. No excuses. If you are dumping over half of what you see, you are doing fine.

Good hunting. LB

River runner.... WHOOOOOPPP!!!

Wiley E,
Man you fell for it hook,line, and sinker! LOL!!! Do I know my coyote callers or what?!!!LOL!!! Works EVERY time!!! LOL!!! I just couldn't resist! I love to play the devils advocate! I swear, you are easier to call in than an ole coyote anyday! LOL!!! I knew you were lurking out there in the brush...oops, flats of SD somewhere. Just had to use the right "call" to pull you in! LOL Spanking! I'm bigger than you and along ways away!!! He He!

Now on a serious note, There are just times when they will not stop no matter what you or I use. that's when I love to have my 2 shot automatic(Ruger Red Label for those in Rio Linda) for those close in critters doing 35 mph!
Steve

------------------
www.azpredatorhunts.com

Does the time of year affect whether they will stop or not? I notice that early in the season you can get most coyotes to stop but later on it becomes more difficult. Is it preparation for denning that makes them more wary? Education?

Later, Curt

I have used the Whoop for several years and it is the best thing to stop em dead in there tracks
smile.gif
O.K maybe not 100% of the time but at least 90%...
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by UTcaller (edited 03-08-2001).]

Some of the problems I have had in the past with getting run over by kamikaze coyotes or red fox were due to my selection of stand sites. I had the tendency to get on the very last knoll so I could see everything completely unhindered. The problem is that a good share of the time coyotes/red fox approach the caller in the low ground to reach a high spot to stop for observation. It dawned on me 1 day that the approaching animal had also selected the same knoll for observation, and his mind was completely made up about it.

I solved a lot of these kamikaze problems then by adjusting my stand location somewhat to leave them a few knolls around my stand (also on a knoll but off to the side or back a short distance) to use for their observation purposes. The key is to be able to see well enough beyond these observation knolls you have left for them to use to see them approach. When you see which 1 they are heading for, you can gradually adjust your rifle so that when they arrive and stop to observe--bang, another 53gr.match HP right in the white spot!

Because I do not have much experience in predator hunting yet, I will relate to you my experiences in deer hunting. The deer will almost always stop if they have not spotteed you first. If you've been spotted it will just cause them to turn on the afterburners. If you have two or more deer running by you, don't make a noise to stop them. Shoot one of the deer and often the others will stop to see where the noise came from. I imagine that coyotes might respond similarly.

I just change up my sound.A long sharp blast on ny mouth call held in my teeth while im looking thru my scope usually works.(not always)mind you but usually.

Later,
Justin

Gave the "WHOOOOOP" a try this morning.Had a day off so I headed out early,Got one in about 9:00am.He was comming down a ridge I was laying on,directly to my right.I got my gun on him and let him in about 30 yards away and thought about this post,so just for grins I gave him a big ol' WHOOOOOP.The guy I was huntin with laughed like crazy after I shot.But hey It worked.Thanks Steve.

Later,
Justin

Back