Busy time of the year

AzWill

Wiley. . .

If I'm guessing right, we're coming up on the busy time of year for you.

How is your time in ADC work divided up? (i.e. aerial hunting, calling, trapping, investigating complains, paper work, etc.)

When calling, do you use hand calls or electronic? What's your favorite call, what's your favorite sound?

What's your favorite cartridge for ADC work?

Enlighten us please....
wink.gif

------------------
http://www.predatormasters.com

If I'm guessing right, we're coming up on the busy time of year for you. - AzWill

Yeh, I am just starting to get some calf complaints. Only a couple kills so far but there is a lot of concern with having too many coyotes too close for comfort. - Wiley E

How is your time in ADC work divided up? (i.e. aerial hunting, calling, trapping, investigating complains, paper work, etc.)- AzWill

Depends on the time of year. This time of year I will be mostly calling and doing some aerial hunting. I also have to get lots of landowner releases signed. That takes a lot of time. We have lots of snow so traps, snares, and M44s will have to wait until it clears off a bit. I also do a lot of office work on the bad weather days. There is always meetings to attend and paperwork. - Wiley E

When calling, do you use hand calls or electronic? What's your favorite call, what's your favorite sound? - Azwill

I use a Bill Austin howler in a horn and voice howl for locating. I use a Sceery open reed predator call for calling. I haven't found a better open reed call and I have used most of them. You can do rabbits, cottontails, bird sounds, squeeks, and all kinds of other sounds with it. I have a JS electronic caller but don't use it much. That doesn't mean that I don't think that electronic calls are a good idea, I think they're great but I just don't use with the way that I call. - Wiley E

What's your favorite cartridge for ADC work? - Azwill

I have 3, .22/250s but I would like to build a .22/250 Ackley improved, a .22/6mm CJ, or a .22/243. I am leaning towards the .22/243 for ADC work but it may be too much gun for someone who is concerned with fur salvage. - Wiley E

wow!

I guess my pre-concived notions of you wiley were alittle off base. I pictured you to be an AR15 guy.

I have never heard of a .22/.243 before, could you explain to me and anyone else what exactly it is please.

by the way, GREAT SITE GUYS!!!!
biggrin.gif
It is my new homepage.

RK

------------------
Idle hands may be the devils work, but idle minds are so much worse

I guess I found out something, too. If Wiley is looking for a new gun, I will have to get him pointed toward one of my favorites, the 22-250 Ackley. It is my primary coyote rifle, and not too bad on fur, IF you select the proper bullet.

As far as the 22/243, it has been a hot ticket for a few years now. If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting, a barrel chambered in 22/243 won't last too long. The performance may not be any better than what I'm using, every gun is different.

Good hunting. LB

Hey Leonard. . .

How you do like the 22-250 Ackley?

I’ve been thinking bout making the switch on either the .22-250 or the .223. Is there any REAL improvement over the standard .22-250 cartridge?

For some reason, I had it burned in my brain that you pulled the trigger on an improved 25-06....
wink.gif

------------------
http://www.predatormasters.com

Originally posted by AzWill:
Hey Leonard. . .

How you do like the 22-250 Ackley?

I’ve been thinking bout making the switch on either the .22-250 or the .223. Is there any REAL improvement over the standard .22-250 cartridge?

For some reason, I had it burned in my brain that you pulled the trigger on an improved 25-06....
wink.gif

The 22-250 Ackley has ballistics similar to the 220 swift but it does not stretch the case necks like the swift. Yote Hunter.

Originally posted by ryank:
wow!

I guess my pre-concived notions of you wiley were alittle off base. I pictured you to be an AR15 guy.

I have never heard of a .22/.243 before, could you explain to me and anyone else what exactly it is please.

by the way, GREAT SITE GUYS!!!!
biggrin.gif
It is my new homepage.

RK

ryank,
Varmint Hunter magazine had a great article on the 22/243 several months back. Looks like a heck of a round, should knock the coyotes into next week. Yote Hunter.

I use both of them, Wil.
To give you an example, most standard 22-250s will exit a 55 grain bullet at 3600/3700 fps, agreed?

My hunting load for the Ackley Improved version is 44.0 grains of H414 and a 65 grain Berger, Fed 210 Match primer = 3925fps. Yes, I said 65 grain. Quite an improvement, in the field, it's a frozen rope.

Good hunting. LB

Leonard, Do you know off hand what the B.C. is for the 65gr. Berger? I'd like to run your load through my ballistic program.

I've been shooting a 22-6mm for ten years now. Shilen stainless barrel and still shoots 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups. But all I use it for is coyotes. Twenty quick rounds on a dog town and I spect the barrel would be fried!

There is life after 4000 fps boys!!

Back