Tikka T3 Light or Weatherby S2

wvengineer

Well I'm in the market for a 22-250. I'm looking at a Tikka T3 Lite, a standard Weatherby Vanguard S2, or the Weatherby Vanguard S2 Varmint Special. I was just wanting some thoughts and experiences with any of these rifles. Which one would you get? Thanks.

I own a standard Series 2 Vanguard and really have been impressed with the rifle. I do not own a Tikka or the S2 Varmint but I have handled and fired each. I think all three are quality made and should be accurate and reliable for many years.

Find the one that fits you best and I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.

I have a Tikka T3 in 30-06 and it shot great right out of the box. I shoot cheap factory ammo and I can shoot under 1/2" with this gun. the trigger is awesome, no creep, and breaks like glass and adjustable. It has a long action but is very smooth. It has a cheap bolt shroud and an effed up lug but as a hunter, I don't give a crap as long as it shoots the way it does....Never owned a Weatherby.

Another important thing to remember is the obvious difference in factory triggers; The Weatherby's are two stage while the Tikka is a single stage.

Your preference in triggers may make the decision for you.

Originally Posted By: wvengineerI might have trouble getting my hands on one without ordering it.

Sadly, that may well be true of many guns these days. Figuring out what you want and then actually getting it are two totally different things these days.

I own a Tikka and for performance givent the price, these rifles are outstanding. Easily shooting under MOA, smooth bolt, flawless function, fantasitc trigger.

IMO there is simply no way to go wrong with a Tikka.

Grouse

This is a tough one. I own a Tikka T3 Hunter and it's a great rifle. Terrific trigger and shoots very accurate with factory loads. I've never shot but I handled a Weatherby S2 and it was sweet. Nice trigger, a good feel to the rifle, seemed extremely well made. If I was shooting a larger caliber I would definitely go with the Weatherby because it is a more stout gun in terms of the recoil lug, bolt and action. However if you are getting a smaller caliber, I would probably get the Tikka
because the trigger is so nice. The Tikka has a beautiful single stage trigger that adjusts from 2-4 lbs. The Weatherby is a military like 2 stage trigger which adjusts from 2.5 to 5 pounds. They are both great rifles so you really can't go wrong. Good luck !!

no experience with weatherby but i LOVE my tikkas!! gonna buy another one or move up to a A7 for my next one
light wieght accurate at heck out of the box and smooth

My varmint partner got a Tikka T-3 light in 300WSM and Vanguard in 300mag think in might be older model.

If I was looking for walk around varmint rifle T-3 light be nice to have and if I was looking to maybe do volume varmint shooting I'd get the heavier barrel.

good luck

Thanks for the input everyone. Still not sure what I'll go with, but I'll try and handle all of them. That'll hopefully make my mind up for me.

I have two vanguards one is a S2 in a 243 with 2 stage trigger, and the other is the original Sub Moa in a 257 both are awsome rifles out of the box, my 257 will shoot .2-.3. I had to bed the 243 stock but it would still shoot half moa out of the box. The tikka's shoot good I just cant stand there stocks and I dont like the magazines.

Well right now I'm leaning towards the vanguard varmint. For a few reasons. One is I don't have a rifle with a 2 stage trigger, and I'm interested in trying it. Another is that it appears the varmint has a better stock. The weight of the rifle isn't too big of a concern for me. I would also like to have a rifle with a heavier barrel. I have 15 rifles with a sporter barrel. The last and one of the biggest is I can get the varmint for the price I can get the T3 lite. I went to a small gun shop today, but they didn't have any of these models. I'll be going to Gander Mountain in a week or two so hopefully I can check them out.

Originally Posted By: wvengineerWell right now I'm leaning towards the vanguard varmint. For a few reasons. One is I don't have a rifle with a 2 stage trigger, and I'm interested in trying it. Another is that it appears the varmint has a better stock. The weight of the rifle isn't too big of a concern for me. I would also like to have a rifle with a heavier barrel. I have 15 rifles with a sporter barrel. The last and one of the biggest is I can get the varmint for the price I can get the T3 lite. I went to a small gun shop today, but they didn't have any of these models. I'll be going to Gander Mountain in a week or two so hopefully I can check them out.

You cant go wrong with that, they already have a B&C stock that is bedded. Plus they shoot good

The only other thought I'm having is barrel length. The varmint has a 22" barrel. The Tikka is 22-7/16ths if I remember correctly. The standard vanguard has a 24" barrel. For a 22-250 is the 24" barrel a big plus?

Well I did get to put my hands on each one. I thought both were rather nice. I really didn't think the stocks were as bad as I've read. Maybe my tastes aren't as discerning as they should be. I felt the stock on the Weatherby was better, but the lighter weight of the Tikka was nice.

Back