Leupold vs Leupold

Ricky Bobby

Thinking of maybe trying a fixed power scope for the very 1st time. It will be used for a lightweight carry coyote rig ... in 204 Ruger.

Anyway, I noticed Leupold makes a FX-II that is 6x36 and a FX-3 that is 6x42. Is there much difference between them? Which would you go with? Also, standard duplex or the LRD?

... would I be making a big mistake going with a fixed power?

I like the fixed 6's. Either one.....And the lrd is great. Just figure the dots to your cartridge...... It's no 'big'mistake, it's a wise choice.

It really dont take much to turn the power ring up or down, try turning that fixed power, theres a reason the 3x9 was the most used scope ever devised.

I leave my Leupy and all my scopes for that matter at the lowest power 99% of the time, but Im glad to have the ability to dial it in when I need too.

I have a Leupold M8 6X42 that i've had for 30 years. It's a great Deer hunting scope, but i've found that even 6X can be too much if they come charging in close. My calling rifle has a 4X14. For me, this is the best combination. Like others have said, I leave mine set on 4X. If a Yote charges in close, no problem. If I see him coming from far away, I have time to dial up to 8 or 10X if necessary. Actually, when shots are 300 and under,I would think a 3X9 would be the best. Just my experience...

I have a 6x SS from SWFA on my 17 rem and it works fantastic.. The build is sturdy well made turrets and the glass is really unbelievable considering the price.. Full disclosure there have been some members on this site that had issues with customer service .. I bought mine last year with no CS problems whatsoever .. That's not the scopes fault.. I don't think you can find a better 6x scope with the options you need for the price. PM me your cell and I'll text you some pics of the set up... Good Luck!!!

RB- fixed power leupys are all Ive been using lately. I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage at all.

My cz452 .22 is running a M8 4x
My 700 30-06 is getting a leupy 6x42 come tax time
My little Savage .223 even wears a M8 4x and I have no problem hitting 1 liter size bottles off of sticks with it.
I have a few other rifles with fixed 4x but they are weavers

I like the simplicity of the fixed powers. Less chance of scope failure, and you get better glass for less $ with the fixed powers. Plus the rifles just look cleaner w/o the power ring.

I think if you try the fixed power you will be happy. And I highly doubt you will feel handicapped

Back