Savage axis or 11 hunter Xp

whitey21

Looking for a light carry gun to replace my heavy barrel savage. There is about a hundred bucks difference between the two. I have no experience with these two, and I was looking for some advice from owners. I'm not looking for a long range, .25 moa rifle. Just a good hunting rifle.

How about a light weight hunting rifle that will shoot 1/4" groups and cost around 300$ new. My Savage Edge in 223 does and the Axis is just a different name, same rifle.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458How about a light weight hunting rifle that will shoot 1/4" groups and cost around 300$ new. My Savage Edge in 223 does and the Axis is just a different name, same rifle.

That'll do. I know my savage shoots good and it was $500. I wasn't for sure how good the cheaper ones were. As long as they are sub moa.

I've been having troubles with my p bucket accnt. If I can get into it I'll post a pic of a target or 2 . .
The Edge stock is kinda weird. But it has seemed to grow on me. I would like to put a laminate target stock on my rifle. But. No one makes one and a gunsmith would want 500$ to stock it.

I've been having troubles with my p bucket accnt. If I can get into it I'll post a pic of a target or 2 . .
The Edge stock is kinda weird. But it has seemed to grow on me. I would like to put a laminate target stock on my rifle. But. No one makes one and a gunsmith would want 500$ to stock it.

I am one for the Axis (Edge). I have two one in 22-250 for varmints and one in 308 for hunting and shooting at the range.

HPIM0690.jpg

Prairie dog shooter

RSG

Just bought dad a 22-250 Axis for Christmas out of the box shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. And that is with the cheap 3-9x40 Bushnell that comes with combo package.

You have to dig into what you're getting for the $100 and if that matters to you.

I have a Savage Axis in .223. An excellent rifle and one of the best performance for $ cost shooters out there.

And before someone else jumps in with it, as everyone now knows, the main compromise on this rifle is the trigger. It's a very heavy pull and has some creep.

You can either upgrade to the Savage models that have the accutrigger, buy the excellent $89 RifleBasix aftermarket triggers, or you can do the trigger mod that is well documented on the internet and modify the pull weight yourself.

Personally, I did the trigger job myself and took the pull weight from over 7.5 average to 3.5 average. I also did some polishing. Obviously you must be qualified to do this kind of modification safely and you must understand and follow all proceedures to make sure the gun will not be made unsafe.

Grouse

I agree Grouse. $100 for Accutrigger it’s a good buy.
Gumboot not to highjack this thread, in short it’s a custom.

RSG

Never had a Savage Axis, but I have had a Savage Mod. 11 for several years. It had the pathetic synthetic stock, it is pillar bedded, and has given numerous coyotes terminal lead poisoning at various yardages. It shoots very well with the accutrigger. Monday, Fed Ex delivered a new laminated Boyds stock and Tuesday it got a three week trip to the gunsmith for bedding, and re crowning. The barrel channel was already open enough for the factory bbl to float. The stock looks really good and it is pretty light. I ordered the black and grey laminate. I think I got a real good stock for the price.

The Axis is a great rifle for the money. As said before the trigger is very heavy, I put a Timney trigger for the Edge/Axis guns. I got it from midway and I think it's around $100, so there's the difference of price between the 2 models your looking at.

I own 2 Savage Axis rifles and both are 1in. group shooters at 100 yrds with good factory ammo . I did the trigger spring mods myself and cut the pull in half and have a nice crisp break ,good enough for a hunting trigger for me . I have had no problems with mine and they have seen some use in the field . Hard to beat for the price .

I have the model 10 xp and absolutely love it. Very accurate out of the box. Love the accu-trigger ,but took some geting use too. It has a home. Can't go wrong with the axis or model 10/11. Looked at the Remmy's and the TC but went with Savage. Glad I did.

Just a Bushnell 3-9x40, mine the rings were junk and were stripped out, I replaced the scope with a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 with Burris ring

Looking at those two rifles, while both are great for the $ I would find a stevens model 200. It is the same rifle as the mod 11 xp. except it is marked Stevens instead of savage, and the stock is grey instead of black. I recently purchased a stevens 200 brand new for around $330.00. It is the same action as the Savage short action rifles, so you can upgrade stock, trigger, barrel, etc. as you can afford it if you decide to in the future. The Axis is a fine rifle, just not many upgradable parts available yet. Just my $.02. Good luck-Brent

Back