Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2402022 - 01/18/13 12:05 AM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
Ok guys, I'll not call anyone out, and sorry no jokes from me. Lets talk about dogs, if its so easy to "train a decoy dog", why pay a guy to do it???? If any dog from the pound can do it, why pay good money for a parvo infested pup???
As for me not getting trashed??? There is a good reason for that....I have never sold a dog I won't hunt myself,as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in the buss that gives a 30 day money back gaurantee??? If there is any other, please let me know. I never have left a client at a cafe, and I have never sold a sick dog. I hope this clears up a few things. I like how I got brought into this post, but since I was I figured I would speak up.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#2402576 - 01/18/13 03:29 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Duane@ssu]
altabonita Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Duane@ssu
Ok guys, I'll not call anyone out
but.....

#2402577 - 01/18/13 03:31 PM Re: Joke? [Re: altabonita]
Tim7581 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: altabonita
Ok guys, I'll not call anyone out
but.....

But....What?

www.kandtjagds.webstarts.com

#2402617 - 01/18/13 04:10 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Duane@ssu]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: western ohio
Ok guys, I'll not call anyone out, and sorry no jokes from me. Lets talk about dogs, if its so easy to "train a decoy dog", why pay a guy to do it???? If any dog from the pound can do it, why pay good money for a parvo infested pup???
As for me not getting trashed??? There is a good reason for that....I have never sold a dog I won't hunt myself,as a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in the buss that gives a 30 day money back gaurantee??? If there is any other, please let me know. I never have left a client at a cafe, and I have never sold a sick dog. I hope this clears up a few things. I like how I got brought into this post, but since I was I figured I would speak up.

I have 2 answers to 2 questions you have.

First the dog that I have has no parvo or been sick at all and it was what I could spend at the time.
Second as for the training you western states have way more coyotes to start the dog on than we have to do proper training.

Not getting cocky that is just my reasons for doing what I am doing.
I have no problem taking advice from someone that has,breeds or a started dog but if you have never owned one or trained one why try to give advice or bash a person on nothing you know about. Or jump on the bashwagon and run a style that one is using. No I am not defending anyone just my take on it.

I have talked to some super nice guys on here that has helped me out alot and THANKS for that.

#2402661 - 01/18/13 04:44 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: BAOklahoma
Here's my opinion.......... If you don't have enough coyotes to train a dog you can't justify having one. It's not fair to the dog.

#2402672 - 01/18/13 05:00 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Guess maybe I should of said when the pup is ready for training. The crops will be to high and a do not want to send a unexperienced dog into a bad spot that I can not get to there in time.

This is the size of most coyotes around here.

This is the biggest male I have got 51 lbs

40 lbs female and killed 2 more about the same size 2 weeks ago.

Edited by roode301 (01/18/13 05:18 PM)

#2402681 - 01/18/13 05:09 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: BAOklahoma
I know that it happens, but my dog getting into a spot she can't handle is not even on my top 10 of things I'm worried about while hunting. My dog is coming along very well and is at the age where I feel she gets better every stand. On avg. she is hunted 3 plus days a week, year round. If I sold her to someone that hunted half as much as I do, they would say she was no good and it would be because they didn't put coyotes in front of her to make her better. Again, my opinion. She's 15 months old and has had appx. 150 coyotes put in front of her and I'd guesstimate had 70 killed in front of her. She's doing things on the last 3 that she's never done and 1 things for sure, I don't know crap about training dogs of any kind. It takes coyotes, coyotes, coyotes and more coyotes. Duane puts a lot of pride in his breeding program and his dogs are involved in some type of activity every single day, that makes for a great foundation to start a dog.

#2402693 - 01/18/13 05:30 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
roode301 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Also I should say I don't have much time to train a dog right now with a full time and part time job right now.
That will change in a few months.

#2402702 - 01/18/13 05:42 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
Tim7581 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
I dont own a decoy dog. So my opinion on that does not matter at all. As you can see I never do chime in when it comes to decoy dogs. I dont claim I know anything about them. Me personally, I dont own one because I am not able to sit long enough to make a stand lol. I always have to be moving. I am a real hyper guy, and sitting in a tree stand for deer, or on the ground for coyote dont work well for me.

The reason I am chiming in now is because I wanted to make it clear, there is no such thing as keeping a hunting dog safe. You try your best to, but things happen sometimes. If that was the case, I would still have the dogs I have lost the past couple of years. Dogs will do what they want when out of sight and there is not much you can do about it. You have to expect and prepare for what may happen.

I may have never bred, trained, or hunted a decoy dog. But I have done my fair share of training. From hounds, beagles, terriers, and my own personal dogs for protection. I am real sure if I could train myself to sit long enough I could make a decoy dog.

Tim

www.kandtjagds.webstarts.com

#2403040 - 01/18/13 10:17 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Duane@ssu]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southeast Oklahoma

Duane, I see some of this pointing at me. you know the answer to these questions, but i will explain it to you again. I sent my dog to be trained because i didnt have the time due to deer season. once season starts, i am out of pocket for 2 full months and my dog was at the age where he needed to be in the field and hunting.

now, when i say training a decoy dog isnt that hard, heres my take, if you get a dog that has some good hunting traits and you train that dog some simple commands(sick, how to tone back, and a few others that take about a day to teach) and you are able to put a bunch of coyotes in front of the dog, then yes you can make a good dog out of them. the hardest part of it would be calling in a bunch of coyotes. he either makes or he doesnt. most decoying from what i have seen isnt taught, it is instinct of the dog.

could i have done it myself?? He!! yes i could have. but i did not want my dog sitting in my garage not doing nothing while i was running our deer hunting program.

now i know you have dogs that work differently than mine. your dogs are alot more versitile than mine as well. but for me, all i need from my dog is to go to the coyote eveytime he sees one and bring it back. it isnt long division. i could teach alot of dogs from the pound to do that.

#2403048 - 01/18/13 10:21 PM Re: Joke? [Re: SHampton]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: SHampton
Here's my opinion.......... If you don't have enough coyotes to train a dog you can't justify having one. It's not fair to the dog.

i am on the same page Scott!! if you arent able to put alot of coyotes in front of a dog, then dont be mad at the dog if he regresses in his job.

#2404035 - 01/19/13 10:12 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
Jglynn, not busting on you, you made the comments you made, I responded, no hard feelings.For a guy that has done it a certain way, had some of us go to war for ya, you have got really smart in the last three months.I'm glad things are working out for ya, but as for how easy it is???? How the [beeep] do you know????? Someone else has done all the work, all you have done is hunted the dog alittle, before you thump your chest, realize, you owe some credit to other guys.You start talking about how smart you are cause you killed a few coyotes over a dog thats sitting by ya, and wanna bust the balls of other guys that have done it for 10,15,or 20 + years, you may get a free pass from some ,but not from all.I didn't wander into this post, I beleive the reason I responded was because a member said " If I got a dog from Duane it would not be an issue" Maybe my quote is off, but you get the point.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#2404083 - 01/19/13 10:45 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Craig Colorado
Duane you are Pi$$ing in the wind on this one my friend, Pi$$ing in the wind. You can't pound a round peg into a Square hole.
You need to go back to what you know ( killing Coyotes with dogs ) and leave this decoy stuff to the experts wink
Besides he might Kick your skinny little cowboy butt like he told me. lol lol lol

#2404142 - 01/19/13 11:30 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
yfzduner450 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Jordan, Utah
After reading 5 pages of posts. Now I know why this thread is called Joke? Because that's what this forum is turning into it. I haven't posted much in the past few months because I found out I don't know [beeep] about decoy dogs! With all the new experts, I need to just sit back and listen. When guys that have been doing it less then a year are getting smart to guys that have done it 10+. I guess I need to get my P.H.D and then I can post about how to do things too.

#2404174 - 01/19/13 11:57 PM Re: Joke? [Re: Jesse lackey]
jglynn Offline
Die Hard Member II

Nope Devin, that is only reserved for you.ha.

Duane, I am not saying that i know more than you or kill more than you, ect. But I have put more coyotes in front of him than anyone that has had him in the past. I said in the earlier post that what I wanted out of my dog is simple compared to what some of you guys want out of your dogs. I am not wanting my dog to work coyotes, hogs, coon, badger, cows, cats, and other things. I want one simple thing. Go to a coyote when he sees it and come back to me. You tell me how that is hard??

Now will my dog get me more coyotes than yours, nope. Am I fine with that, yep! Does my dog sit by me while calling, sometimes he does sometimes he doesnt, it dont matter to me either way as long as he does what I want when it is time.

I guess alot of us guys will never be as wise as guys like you and Devin. I am fine with that. But for what i want out of my dog, it doesnt take a wise man.

You have a whole place full of dogs that i am sure are really great dogs, you will never hear talk down about your dogs. i have seen videos of them in action and they are cool. i know you have alot of time and training into them.

but tell me, really, how long would it take you to teach a dog that has some natural ability to do what mine does??? not long i would suppose. then it would just be doing what i am doing and putting alot of coyotes in front of him and let him turn into his own style of dog.

i know how i am hunting them is not considered by some of you guys as "decoying". but this is how i want to do it. idont want the show happening 1/4 mile off where i cant see it. i am in it for the show and i want it to happen in sight.

is it really going to take me going and picking up a mutt and getting him to do what i want out of him to make yal happy?? because if it would settle the dust and make me a "true houndsman" i will do it.

what are the standards i will need to be able to speak to you without being talked to like i am stupid?? I am only 32 years old and havent owned near as many dogs as you have. but i have had several hounds that treed a many coons for me and have had a few beagles that i killed alot of rabbits with and i have a set of hog dogs that will catch me a hog everytime i go out. we have a set of dogs we work cattle with that i would put against any of them out there. so what does it take??

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.