Dog Training Question?

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I thought him running around would screw up my hunting. We have coyotes in our back pasture at night and he goes crazy barking and chasing after them in the dark. 6 months ago my daughters Italian greyhound was killed and carried off my back patio when my wife let him out to pee. I will save up and get the collar. I Am concerned that without it my AS will not come back when I call him, especially at night. I really don't want him to get into trouble by himself

I was walking my pup yesterday in the neighbors pasture just letting her mouse and run, didn’t have my e-collar on her, she was 50 yards ahead of me, I stopped behind a large bush to take care of business when I heard her bark, and other barks & growls in return, stepped out to see a pack/bunch of dogs 6+ with collars on (never seen them before) charging up to her as she charged towards them about 25 yards apart I yelled her to come back, she stopped hackles all up raising he11, the dogs saw me and took off, she gave chase for about 10 yards then returned all pizzed off, I was glad she returned and had challenged them, but wish I’d have had the collar on in case she didn’t. don’t want to light up someone’s dog but she is still a little small much less several dogs at once.

I had a AS I used for coyote years ago but didn’t have the money for a collar at the time and no way I could call him off a chase so I use to just stake him out with puppy in distress as a live decoy. I shot 5 coyotes off him one night on one stand about 1 minute apart with my NEF 223 ran out of ammo and got up yelling afraid I was about to lose him to # 6 LOL didn’t do that anymore
my sister took him just to make sure when she found out what I was doing! buy the way he would eat light firecrackers that upset my sister on her first 4th of july with him thinking I taught him that

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhoCaresOk. Thanks for the suggestions. I thought him running around would screw up my hunting. We have coyotes in our back pasture at night and he goes crazy barking and chasing after them in the dark. 6 months ago my daughters Italian greyhound was killed and carried off my back patio when my wife let him out to pee. I will save up and get the collar. I Am concerned that without it my AS will not come back when I call him, especially at night. I really don't want him to get into trouble by himself

Aint nothing wrong with a dog sitting beside ya. Unless you cant call coyotes.

Most of the time when a dog is "ranging" that translates to doing their own thing. Nothing more aggravating to "call" a coyote in and your dog is out "ranging" around doing its own thing. Just my opinion.

my dog has been milling around 20-80 in front of me ususally he is within 50 yards of the call. to me that is fine, i dont like him being out of sight because i figure hes probably just out jacking around.haha. i dont mind him sitting beside me either as long as he is looking for a coyote.

Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: WhoCaresOk. Thanks for the suggestions. I thought him running around would screw up my hunting. We have coyotes in our back pasture at night and he goes crazy barking and chasing after them in the dark. 6 months ago my daughters Italian greyhound was killed and carried off my back patio when my wife let him out to pee. I will save up and get the collar. I Am concerned that without it my AS will not come back when I call him, especially at night. I really don't want him to get into trouble by himself

Aint nothing wrong with a dog sitting beside ya. Unless you cant call coyotes.

Most of the time when a dog is "ranging" that translates to doing their own thing. Nothing more aggravating to "call" a coyote in and your dog is out "ranging" around doing its own thing. Just my opinion. LOL

your right jeff, theres nothing wrong with a dog sitting beside you, but theres nothing wrong with one that gets out and decoys either, most of the time i'm just happy if mine will get out of the box and chase something around, that way i dont have to figure out how to turn the call on, lol

I hear ya Ryan. I just dont see why all the fuss over a dog ranging. I enjoy calling em in. If I want to kill I leave the dog at home. If I take the dog I wanna see em work a coyote. I guess its all in what a guy wants.

no fuss here, its just different strokes for different folks, but till i get to where i can train one i will have to stick to the "doing their own thing" type dog, the funny thing is "their own thing" happens to be just what i want them to do most of the time, and on the days i figure out how to call i can get them to sit right next to me alot easier then i can get them to go "do their own thing" on the days i forget how to call

If all my dog did is sit beside me and I had to hiss them up at the sight of a coyote then I would leave them home too. lol

Last edited:
Devin, Im pretty sure Btech has the decoy thing figured out.lol. I just watched his dvd that is 80 minutes long that had decoying like nothing ive ever seen. it is crazy how good his dog is!

Devin, do you run hounds on coyotes or do you decoy?? or both?? i dont guess i have ever noticed any video or pics you have posted. then again i overlook alot of stuff.lol

Originally Posted By: Devin69If all my dog did is sit beside me and I had to hiss them up at the sight of a coyote then I would leave them home too. lol
I think you got alot to learn when it comes to coyotes and dogs and the Decoying of coyotes.

Would you please share some of this know how on this decoy thing. I'm all ears.

its no secret me and devin dont always see eye to eye, but i can say he knows alittle something about dogs and decoying, and glynn you are right, jeff gets alot of film, and to get it by his self while hunting is doing something, but to say that if a dog is ranging then most of the time that means doing his own thing is just showing you havent hunted behind to many different type dogs, or at least to many that knew their job

im not arguing about it i just think there are different ways it can be done and i dont think any of them are wrong, if it is what works for you.

i was not questioning Devin's experience, i just didnt know if he ran hounds or decoyed or both?? i seen something in his signature about hound is why i asked.

I never said a ranging dog was all bad. I think in certain parts of the country it would be effective. I normally cant see more than 200 yards. Why would I want my dog out at 500? I hunt different than Ryan and Devin. I aint saying their way is wrong but it dont work for me. I have different land and different motives. My coyotes might pop out at 50 yards or closer. I dont want my dog over the hill somewhere. I want the dog to work every single coyote that I call in. To do that they need to be close. I sit in a chair when I call. I am a good 2 feet higher than the dog. I see most coyotes before the dog does. If you hear me hiss its just to get the dogs attention. I do the same thing when Im hunting with a buddy.

Lol Good stuff guys. You must have all went to the University. lol
You guys are the pros I just sit back and try to learn something from you.

Last edited:
Ok, I gota put this out on the table....

Jeff rarely talks on here. When he does it is mostly positive. Why would you come on here and bust his balls and talk $hit about the way he works his dog??

Is the houndsman forum just a dick measuring contest??

i dont get it sometimes.

Back