Ok guys what it the best breed of dog.

roode301

What makes it the best. Does not matter what breed ,cross or mutt. What is the dog used for. Size or even color. What do you guys think. Don't say any dog you all have a favorite. So share.

Mine is so far out of all the dogs I have had is a german short hair. The smartest,kindest easy to train and loves my kids.

So lets hear it.

I have a 2 year old McNab right now that has changed my entire perspective on what a working dog can do.

Never gets tired
Very fast and athletic
Great on a bay
Very fast learner (found his first cripple at 3 1/2 months old)
Not agressive with other dogs
Great with my kid

Only downside is he couldn't cold track like other dogs can, but for what I need his nose have never let me down. I don't see myself ever getting another type of dog.

When it comes to hounds its all about walkers for me.

For a companion/pet/kindof do it all dog dog its a tie for me between the a pit and a heeler. The heeler is definitely more versatile though.

Ford ,Chevy, Dodge. It really depend on what you are going to do with the dog and what is expected. Because what you like in a dog I might hate and what you I like you might hate.
When someone tells you they have the perfect dog....Run and run fast, no the other way.

Originally Posted By: Devin69Ford ,Chevy, Dodge. It really depend on what you are going to do with the dog and what is expected. Because what you like in a dog I might hate and what you I like you might hate.
When someone tells you they have the perfect dog....Run and run fast, no the other way.

Maybe I should of said your favorite breed of dog. As a independent what do you like.

Originally Posted By: Devin69Ford ,Chevy, Dodge. It really depend on what you are going to do with the dog and what is expected. Because what you like in a dog I might hate and what you I like you might hate.

I took the question as best dog for you, not best dog for everyone. There is no such thing as a best all around dog, that I agree.

Guys that hunt, and by that I mean really hunt, will typically breed what characteristics they prefer into a litter. Now this being said, some types of dogs work great for some, and not so good for others. I know that Duanne has had some good success with his dogs for his style of hunting....and will have a test litter to see if the new pups turn out to see if they're good or not.
Devin has bred similarity to his preferred liking as well.
Trapper2 has done the same thing as well.

Now these are just the tip of the Iceberg. I hope I am not stepping on any toes here. I have never had the pleasure of hunting with any of these guys from here. I have seen videos of Duanne's dogs at work, Ryan's dogs at work as well. Hopefully one day, I will get to do more hunting than typing...lol.

There is no best breed out there. I have had a Mt Cur( loved him), and now I have a Kemmerer cur( love him too). Both are great with kids and mild temperaments. I wish I could have used my GSP to decoy coyotes, he was a machine in the field, never got tired. I'd like to get a GSP/ cross someday to see how they'd work. The guy I sold my GSP to has a wirehaired dog that I think would be an awesome litter, but I doubt he'd think so....lol

Gonzaga, the guys who run hogs in Texas use a lot of bird dog and bird dog crosses, mostly GSPs x with BMC.

I have had a couple GSPs and several Plotts that would qualify for a favorite, but my old lead dog right now, Plott hound Bullseye, would be my all time favorite. He is a great hound and so laid back around the yard. He is all out on track and at the tree, but isn't obnoxious in the box or on the chain. Well mannered and easy to train.

im gunna say a good stock dog...they will work stock..tree critters..sight chase...blood trail...decoy..fetch birds. they do it all

what i got right now is a short hair border/pit/catahoula/hangin tree cross goin with my buddy that are good SOBs. do all of the above and u can have kids do anythin to them. no aggression what so ever

Best dog ive seen is that btech29 guys dog spot. She is rank. There may be and probably is better a better dog out there i just havent seen it. She decoys flawlessly

I've got two dogs, both mutts. One is 1/2 pit bull 1/2 mtn cur. He's good with the kids, smart, obedient and loves to hunt but can't hold still to save his life unless he's sitting on stand or sleeping. We let him in the house sometimes and he just doesn't know what to do with himself. He also needs a shorter tail ;-).

The other is 1/2 German Short Hair Pointer 1/2 ? (the owner said he thought it was Border Collie) She's 5-1/2 months now and I had her hunting quail this year. She retrieve's and 1/2 points birds. I've been nothing but happy with her and how fast she's picked it up. She's great with the kids and just loves the attention and being around people. I'd definitely get another GSP for a bird dog/family pet.

My favorite dog is my new Pup that is only a few months old..
It's a Tony Tebbe Gunner Puppy.. She, Bailey, is scary smart even for a puppy, she love to go for walks and loves to play and my wife loves that she curls up and cuddles on the couch.
I have had springers, GSP, goldens, even ridgebacks. They are all smart good dogs, But I just really laugh at this dog daily..
She just loves Coyotes and can't get enough of them.. (it's a good Match)

b3month4.jpg
The older she gets the more her highlights are coming through and I think by next year she may be half Gunner colored, half the dark brown, with the white patches..
That coloring should work really well out here in AZ in the open Grass land..

Last edited:
She's turning out to be a good looking pup. I agree with Devin (you will rarely hear me say that.)
smile.gif
...it depends on what you expect out of a dog and the job you have for them. I've had some amazing dogs in the past. From an old bluetick coonhound that could pick up the coldest track to the best head dog stag a guy could ask for. For an all purpose dog, Gunner has the drive, brains, desire, as well as the family personality that makes him perfect for what I need. The lurchers are showing great promise too. I've always been a fan of dogs that have a little greyhound in them.

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeShe's turning out to be a good looking pup. I agree with Devin (you will rarely hear me say that.)
smile.gif
...it depends on what you expect out of a dog and the job you have for them. I've had some amazing dogs in the past. From an old bluetick coonhound that could pick up the coldest track to the best head dog stag a guy could ask for. For an all purpose dog, Gunner has the drive, brains, desire, as well as the family personality that makes him perfect for what I need. The lurchers are showing great promise too. I've always been a fan of dogs that have a little greyhound in them.

Tony Now that is funny Tony, you sure agreed with me alot when you were first getting started in this game with dogs a couple of years ago and asking my advise all the time. lol Boy how things change

Maybe I should of said your favorite breed of dog. As a independent what do you like.

roode, breed is not important to me but i like a small dog, 25 to 30 pounds, blackmouth, cathoula, whatever, and lately i have been put some type of terrier in the mix, keeps then small and adds some things i like, plus some i dont, ha

Perfect example: I went down to OK to hunt with Ryan. He wanted to see my Jagds on Beaver. We put them on some beaver, now remember they are culls and have never seen a beaver, they got their butts kicked. They thenent and found a skunk under a row boat. Ryan didn't like them, now I could have got all butt hurt about that, but he knows what he wants, he kept a open mind and still wanted to see the jagds work a beaver but didn't like em. Did I get mad at Ryan for that? NO. He likes what he likes and it works better for him than what I have so no one should be butt hurt over what everyone else is running. Go hunt with some other dogs like Ryan did and find what you like and feed that.

Back