Anyone eat Squirrel's?

Originally Posted By: BearWhere are the musk glands located?

They are called the tarsel glands, and when they are in rut,,, oh wait a minute......

Main ones are under the front legs - kind of a tan mass about the size of your thumbnail. My Dad taught me to take them out 50+ years ago and I always have - so I can't even comment if it makes a difference.
wink.gif

HideHunter is right. In the armpit area. There are supposed to be two more behind the knees on the back legs, but I had trouble finding them consistently. I didn't know they existed until reading about them several weeks ago. I can say they are not near as strong as what I remember eating, maybe it was the pressure cooking, maybe the glands, not sure, but not much trouble to get them out.

I like to make jerky with them. The lean meat makes a good jerky that you don't have to dry to just before brittle to remove the fatty grease. Comes off the squirrel in bite size chunks as well.

Squirrel heart tongue and brain have been ate by myself and relatives for as long as I can remember, personally squirrel gravy should be sold in restaurants:p

Originally Posted By: Unique03 personally squirrel gravy should be sold in restaurants:p

My dad and I have been havng this argument for 50 years. First and third week of the month I take squirrel gravy and he takes turtle. 2nd and 4th we switch.
wink.gif

Id bet the farm Unique03 has had em like this..We put several in a pot of water and let em simmer on the woodstove overnight..

Next morning the "camp cook" makes "pan bread" (basically biscuit dough thinned enough that it will pour into a bread pan)

While he is doing that two of us sit down and pick ALL the meat off the bones..Then the cook makes gravy using the broth and mix the meat in it..MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ballistictipmad squirrel disease! yep its get brought up now and then, but you know what i'm in my mid 50's and have eat them all my life, my dad and grandpa always ate them and they made it to 80's. if we only knew what was in the hotdogs and other processed foods we eat I don't think squirrel would be at the top of the death list. now zombie squirrels is another thing:)

Is there even such a thing as mad squirrel disease, or is it just some extrapolated idea from mad cow?

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYWe cleaned some up the other weekend and cut them in halves to fit into my pressure cooker. We added enough water to cover them, with 4 chicken bouillon cubes and pressure cooked them for 45 minutes. We put 4 cans of golden mushroom soup with 4 cans of water and 1 can of milk and simmered it until thick in another pot. We added the meat to it and let it simmer. Some of the best squirrel I've eaten. I also removed the musk glands on the squirrels for the first time and they really were mild before we put them in the soup. I'll do that from now on as I think it really does make a difference.

I was taught to be really careful that you don't even let the knife touch the glands so you don't taint the meat.

Guess it works, I've never had a strong tasting squirrel and I've eaten them from several different types of areas.

I did hear someone on another site saying he thought those eating certain pine cones here in California were strong.

Last edited:
I used to hunt in the huge swamp to the east side of Shreveport, biggest squirrels I ever saw there. I was in the military so I didn't have a kitchen, I gave the squirrels and armadillos I shot to an old black guy that had about eight kids that lived at the edge of the swamp. He had me and my hunting partner over for armadillo and I'd have to say it was outstanding. He had alligator too which was also good and some rabbit.

That was one of the high points of my time in the military in Shreveport.

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: ballistictipmad squirrel disease! yep its get brought up now and then, but you know what i'm in my mid 50's and have eat them all my life, my dad and grandpa always ate them and they made it to 80's. if we only knew what was in the hotdogs and other processed foods we eat I don't think squirrel would be at the top of the death list. now zombie squirrels is another thing:)

Is there even such a thing as mad squirrel disease, or is it just some extrapolated idea from mad cow?

Extra-what? Mad Squirrel Disease.. The first symptom is using big words.
wink.gif

"Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease" Doctors in Kentucky have done a lot of research on it. Google it when you have some time. It's an interesting read.

how many of yall just keep the legs. the little gray squirrel dont have alot of meat anywhere but on the legs. my grandpa stop keeping the whole squirrel in the 90s and i guess thats where i get it from am i missing some good meat that is worth the time to get or just stick to the legs.

I keep the saddle (there's a few bites) and normally don't fool with the ribs. Now, I have two older folks that give me to understand when I bring squirrels to them - the ribs are to be there!
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif
I had one guy who used to give me heck for shooting them in the head (the only place I shoot them). He always said the brains were the best part. He died. No connection to the brain-eating.. I don't think.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterI have this wierd idea of eting a Squirrel. Not sure as to why but just curious if there are ones you should stay away from? How to cook them? Just a bit of info really.

We eat the grey and fox squirrels.....haven't eaten any ground squirrels! What kind of squirrels you talking about eating?

Not only do I eat them, they are probably my favorite food. Bread lightly in house Autry seafood breader and fry the legs up. Use crisco to grease the pan. Seems to work better.

Good morning. This is my first post, on this forum. BUT, since hunting/eating squirrels is one of my favorite things to do, thought I'd post here first!
grin.gif

I found this recipe in Field and Stream, last year. I've made it 4-5 times. It's my all time favorite!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

I have embelished it some. I've added 2 cans of whole corn, and instead of the half and half, I've added a can of condensed milk[makes it sweeter]. If you have a bunch of older squirrels in the freezer, it's a great way of getting rid of them!

Maddog

Back