Lubricating Brass

Do you use the mink oil the same way as you would the Imperial case lube? I assume the only difference is the oil versus the wax.

Originally Posted By: UncleDocDo you use the mink oil the same way as you would the Imperial case lube? I assume the only difference is the oil versus the wax.

I use it the same way, yes. I just get my fingers a (tiny) bit slimy with it and smear it on about 10 rounds of brass at a time making sure that I wipe a bit on the inside of the necks so the expander ball will pass through easily. After all 50 are sized I wipe the brass off after I squirt a bit of dollar store rubbing alcohol on a old cotton rag. I like to take a pipe cleaner folded in half to clean out the inside of the necks.

I assure you, this works great. Try it and see and let us all know what you found out.

I know the smell of my Hornady Unique Case Lube was familiar!! It even says on the tub it can be used to waterproof leather. I know what I'll be buying from now on if I ever manage to use all of what I have now.

Oh yeah you can't even tell you are using it up. Rusty I kind of figured I was the only guy that was either too lazy or too cheap to go buy the good stuff.
lol.gif
I'm betting you guys end up liking the mink oil if you give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: Irish_80Oh yeah you can't even tell you are using it up. Rusty I kind of figured I was the only guy that was either too lazy or too cheap to go buy the good stuff.
lol.gif
I'm betting you guys end up liking the mink oil if you give it a shot.

Oh, I'm cheap all right. I never ever used to buy new beer. But lazy? Heck no I'm not lazy! Why, I have been working my azz off the last few weeks trying to find my wife a second job so that I can spend more time hunting, shooting and motorcycle riding. Lazy indeed!
tt2.gif

Rusty, I will be trying the mink oil this week and I will post you an update. Thanks so much for the tip. I knew there was a reason I read all these posts.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223+1 on the homebrew lube. I couldnt find lanolin anywhere, then i finally looked at a hardcore health nut grocery store. I used Heet gas antifreeze in the red bottle for the alcohol without any problems. A sprayer container will last a long time. Cases size like butta.

One shot works pretty good but when doing 1k cases using 3-4 cans it sure dont last long and gets salty

Do you use the heet in red or yellow bottle, I guess it wouldnt matter

How long does the home brew last? Not how many rounds will it do, but like a shelf life? Can I mix up like 1 gal at a time or better to do it in small amounts?

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachOriginally Posted By: Widow maker 223+1 on the homebrew lube. I couldnt find lanolin anywhere, then i finally looked at a hardcore health nut grocery store. I used Heet gas antifreeze in the red bottle for the alcohol without any problems. A sprayer container will last a long time. Cases size like butta.

One shot works pretty good but when doing 1k cases using 3-4 cans it sure dont last long and gets salty

Do you use the heet in red or yellow bottle, I guess it wouldnt matter

He said red. I don't think it would matter either.

I think the red has more alcohol in it if i remember right. It doesnt take much and lasts a long time. I mixed up a squirt bottle full using i bottle of heat lastyear and just shake it every use. Definetly good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223I think the red has more alcohol in it if i remember right. It doesnt take much and lasts a long time. I mixed up a squirt bottle full using i bottle of heat lastyear and just shake it every use. Definetly good stuff.

How much of the oil do you mix with a bottle of heat.

I have not used the spray but it sounds good for lots of loads at once. I have been using imperial sizing wax for the last several years and it works great, probably not as fast as the spray though. Never had a stuck case and I have plenty of time so will probably continue to use it.

I've been using the lanolin homebrew for about 12 years now. It works great for normal resizing and light case forming. I've never used the mink oil, but it sounds interesting. I always tumble the brass before and after all the case prep.

Like Claimbuster, I use a homebrew. Use the 90% ISO and that toothpaste tube lube that Lee sells. Mix it about 8 to 1 ISO to lube.

Toss a few handsful of brass in a ziplock freezer bag, using a cheap wally world 1 cup atomizer holding the lube mixture, shake well, squirt maybe 6 shots in the bag. Roll it around on my fingertips to make sure all the cases touch the lube, dump them out on a screen, toss in a few more, etc.

The ISO evaporates leaving a mottled coating of lube on the cases, and leaves enough in the case necks that the neck expander ball doesn't drag.

Load 'em up and toss em in a tumbler for about 10 minutes with played out media to remove the lube and off to the range.

The Hornady One Shot has been responsible for all of my stuck cases. Won't use it anymore. Besides, this stuff is cheaper, much cheaper.

Last edited:
All I can say is if you try Hornady One Shot Read the directions and follow them to the TEE.

I tried it on .223 Rem. and it worked like a champ, tried it on some .243 Win brass and I followed the directions to a TEE just like I did for the 223 brass, It didn't work worth a dang on the .243 brass.

I got a couple new cans of one shot if someone wants it at a fair price.

Back