With all this bad mouthing of Remington and their 700's...

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: woodguruI'm sorta thinking 99.9% of the 700's made will never fail, but there is that tiny little percentage that it's best to be aware of rather than having 100% faith in the safety and that period when you are lifting the bolt handle on a live round.

That can be said of every manufacturer out there. There is not one that has not had some sort of a failure or problem. Anyone that trusts a safety is a fool. I was always taught that a safety is a mechanical device that will fail.

Good post. But I hope you don't plan to be an internet rock star by making such common sense, mundane, down to earth, truthful comments.

It takes a good bit of name calling, some exaggerated accusations borrowed from other forums that got limited mileage there, and at the least a scary avatar to be truly successful at this stuff.

-BCB

thumbup.gif
Been called a troll, but I'm not a very good one.

I don't try hard enough.
grin.gif

I don't have a clue what to use as an avatar, a picture of myself wouldn't do it. (not scary enough)

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: woodguruI'm sorta thinking 99.9% of the 700's made will never fail, but there is that tiny little percentage that it's best to be aware of rather than having 100% faith in the safety and that period when you are lifting the bolt handle on a live round.

That can be said of every manufacturer out there. There is not one that has not had some sort of a failure or problem. Anyone that trusts a safety is a fool. I was always taught that a safety is a mechanical device that will fail.

Good post. But I hope you don't plan to be an internet rock star by making such common sense, mundane, down to earth, truthful comments.

It takes a good bit of name calling, some exaggerated accusations borrowed from other forums that got limited mileage there, and at the least a scary avatar to be truly successful at this stuff.

-BCB

thumbup.gif
Been called a troll, but I'm not a very good one.

I don't try hard enough.
grin.gif

I don't have a clue what to use as an avatar, a picture of myself wouldn't do it. (not scary enough)

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I was responding to reb8600.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: gonzagaNow I'm looking for a Remington SPS .223.

I would never knock the SPS. I have killed my share of game with one in several calibers. I'd buy one in a heart beat. But you should take a look at the VTR. My VTR is as accurate of a rifle that I have ever owned.

I get tired of all the bad talk about Remington. For years I have owned many of them with zero problems. If I ever have a problem, I'd be willing to bet, that their customer service is great.

When a rifle is not accurate, jams 1 out of 4 attempt s to chamber a round. Dribbles out brass on ejection and has a heavy funky trigger. I'm going to bad mouth them. My last model 700 . A VTR in 223 was all the mentioned things.
A real 1.5" rifle.

Originally Posted By: WareagleI'm a big fan of the 700 and have owned many, but I will say I will not buy a "New" one. Their qc has gotten to be basically non existent. My last nib 700 was a XCR Compact Tactical 223 1100.00 rifle and it wouldn't chamber a round out of the box.

Nice to know. My VTR was 625$ or so but the dealer gave me a bit of a break on it.
It Really infuriated me that a Remington 700 was such a dud. You'd think a 223 would be more accurate than a 375 H+H and a 338RUM . The RUM weighed about 3/4 lb more than the 223 . But was pushing a 275 gr KBC at 2875 and
was more accurate.

I like the 700 but a dud is a dud. And really. The only reason
I had a Remington was

Ruger didn't make a 375 or a 338 RUM. And the dealer didn't have the 223 VT instock.

And because too many guys on these forums had drank the 700 coolaid.

Quote:When a rifle is not accurate, jams 1 out of 4 attempt s to chamber a round. Dribbles out brass on ejection and has a heavy funky trigger. I'm going to bad mouth them. My last model 700 . A VTR in 223 was all the mentioned things.

My 223 VLS had the problem with the jam issue when chambering a round. Remington sent me a new magazine follower and spring, and the problem quit. They seemed to know about the problem, but didn't elaborate. It always extracts and ejects well though.

Back