AR-10 subsonic/suppressed cycling

Predator257Roy

I'm loading some subsonic loads for my Ar-10. I's a custom Armalite SASS and has the adjustable gas block. I was hoping the action would cycle when shooting suppressed subsonic rounds but it is not. I'm loading Winchester brass, Fed 210 match primers, and a hornady 178gr A-max. I've played with the powder and have settled I think on 10.2gr of Trailboss. I loaded from 9gr-11gr. 11gr had a bit of a snap sound to it and the 10.5 was just a little loader than I liked. 10.2gr was just a fart in the wind. Bullet drop was about a foot at 100yds. I've made shots with the dial set both ways, suppressed and not suppressed. Suppressed setting should be all the way open but stil no cycle. Any recomendations.

It's just not going to happen with the AR-10 platform. There just isnt enough gas there to get the job done. My subs were dropping about 8-10 inches at 100 yards. I use 180gr round nose in a 1-10 with 10.5gr of trailboss. Very quiet and the chuckle factor is huge. I think its more of a novelty than anything. Now the 220gr 300blk subs are just as fun, but it cycles perfectly.

I don't mind manually cycling, but my head tells me that the cycling "should" happen for it to perform perfesctly. jlindholm70, you are right about te chuckle factor, it's awesome. One big reason I'd like it to work, is I got my 9 year old daughter out in the yard when I was working up a load, and she shot the rifle - hit my piece of 12"x10" steel at 100 yards. She just doesn't have the strength to pull back the bolt. She said that she'll work on the bars at school to get stronger
lol.gif

I don't want to do anything to the rifle that would cause harm or batter the action when shooting regular supersonic suppressed loads, so maybe manually cycling is the only way? Just seems like it should be able to be done without much trouble? Would a heavier buller work, I'd really be lobbing it then?
I also just got a Double Star lower which I need to designate as an SBR and a complete Bravo Company upper .223 in 11.5" which I will suppress. It will need to function flawlessly with suppressed subs and supers. Where do I start there? I doubt that will happen without some work.

I hope you get something figured out. Do you have a chrono to test or are you going off of sound? I'd keep bumping up your charge until you get consistent reliable cycling then chrono it. I know lots of guys are using trailboss for subsonic, just not in an AR15

Back