22-250 with 1x10 twist?

Pros would be capable to shoot bullet weights in the 60s and maybe 70s.
Cons would be the very lightweight bullets coming apart.
If you plan to shoot 55s or greater then if should be fine.

A faster twist rate will stabilize longer bullets, of course. In the past this simply meant heavier bullets, but now that includes mono-metal bullets and also the "green" bullets that at a comparable bullet weight have a greater length. Using traditional cup and core, copper and lead bullets of 55 grains or less, I don't believe the twist rate will be a determining factor in accuracy.

Last edited:
The Ruger is a bit unique...there's not a lot of factory 22-250 rifles with that fast twist. Anyone bought one and shot it? I'm intested in it's performance, accuracy, etc.

I'd like to see more with a 7 twist and guys pushing the 90's or 80's.

I've got some of the hsm 80gr smk loads for my 223, excited to see how they perform.

About time a better twist rate is being offered.
I would prefer 1/8-1/9 twist but I could live with a 10 twist for what I would want to shoot out of it.

Originally Posted By: KaleIf you want to shoot the heavier bullets why not just go to a .243?

The B.C. is much higher on a 75 gr .224 bullet than it is on a 75 gr .243 bullet.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: KaleIf you want to shoot the heavier bullets why not just go to a .243?

The B.C. is much higher on a 75 gr .224 bullet than it is on a 75 gr .243 bullet.

Then shoot a 87-95gr 6mm bullet out of a .243 which will have an even higher BC and still be going the same speed. Does that not make sense?

Last edited:
My .22-250 started out as a 14" twist, shot 60's fine. Changed to a 10" twist, shoots 55's - 70's fine. The 55's only blew up when they hit something soft and squishy.

Originally Posted By: KaleIf you want to shoot the heavier bullets why not just go to a .243?

You are right, but common sense doesn't mean anything to some people. They just want to be different.

Just remember that over twisting a bullet does no harm if correct bullet construction is chosen but under twisting will produce very poor accuracy and even to the point of being unusable.
A bit of over twist gives one more choice of bullet weight and length.

I have one with a 9 twist and love it-people who use a fast twist in a .223 with a smaller capasity should us a 22-250. shoots sierea 65 and 69 great

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: KaleIf you want to shoot the heavier bullets why not just go to a .243?

You are right, but common sense doesn't mean anything to some people. They just want to be different.

OUCH...
so me running a custom 22-250 with an 8 twist make me less susceptible to common sense??? let me say this before we go any further. I've seen the destruction a 6mm round has on fur @ hi velocities, I'm all about keeping the hide in contact, I like to "keep what I kill"... to the ops initial question, whats the benefit of a quicker twist? his question has been answered, by allowing that platform to stabilize a heavier round... my experience tells me you can effectively run a 50 grain round over 3200fps with a 8twst barrel and have superb accuracy as well a precision, ALL THE WHILE, allowing me to run heavier rounds (69+gr) for different conditions or applications if need be... NOW, try and reverse this effect by slowing down a .243 in the lightest bullet you can, WITHOUT having more catastrophic results on fur than a 22-250 load has, tuff to do...

I run 69gr. SMK's in my 1/9. Never had a blow up or accuracy problem with it running 52gr. Speers, 55gr. SBK's or soft points, V-max's, or Silver BT's. As long as your bore isn't mucked up with machining snafu's, it should be fine.

I have one of the americans. cabelas has or had them for 299 so i picked up one. I really like the rifle great calling rifle and easy to carry. The mag set up is different. She feeds great if ya dont try to baby it in. cycle it like a man and no issues at all. As for accuracy excellent under MOA im at 3/4 with no load work up and using the load i have for my kimber with a 50gr combined tech bullet behind benchmark. I have shot several critters out past 200 with it and yet to miss. Shes a keeper. being a 300 gun i dont mind throwing it in the back seat and walking threw the brush to hunt and call with the rifle. It has a accutrigger style trigger in it thats super nice. Breaks like glass and is just a solid trigger. Just my 2 cents i seen a deal on the tv that ruger shoots everyone for accuracy right now. but once they start flying out the door they believe that will go away. So get one now while they are good ones. Kind of like everything else there excellent at first then they either hike up the price a great deal or quality goes to chit. As of right now i dont think there is a cheaper more solid rifle out there for hunting hard. If any one has any questions i will sure answer them the best i can. And im not in with ruger in anyway. Just want to pass on a good deal for someone thinking about getting one and has a hold up on a question. I will tell it like it is good bad or in between.

Last edited:
Back