Over bored Cans?

Varminterror

Wanting to get a can, my first, but since I could really use 2 or 3 of them, I'm considering starting out with a larger caliber can, assuming it would be functional for smaller cals as well?

Say a guy uses a 30cal can on a 22cal, I'm guessing it won't be quite as effective as a 22cal can would be, but then again, it'll be larger volume/longer, so it may suppress slightly better?

Any experience here? Or maybe I'm just missing the boat.

I know a few people that use a 30 cal can on everything they own all the way down to 17AH. Is it louder because of the larger hole? honestly I don't know. I've heard a few say it didn't make a difference. I would probably go that route if I did it again. It would have been the only can I needed. Now I am waiting for the silencer shop to get them in so I can start my paperwork.

That's what I did. I have a Gemtech HVQD and have QD's on a 17 Remington, 20 Tac, 6X45mm, 25DTi and a .308. I have been shooting it now for a month or so and it seems to knock the sound down fine for all. The 17 Remington I shot yesterday and it sounds like a 22 rimfire and no recoil at all.
My only issue IF it is an issue as I am still playing with all mine is they seem to move POI from time to time but not every time. For example I sighted my 25 DTi in first and it has killed dozens of animals and has been on the money since the first week of November and yesterday it was shooting 3 inches high and 2 inches left at 100 yards. So I resighted and hopefully it will be on next time but who knows. All my guns seem to group well with the Suppressor but this changing of POI I cannot and will not put up with.

I went with a TBAC 30P-1 for my next can. Going to run it on 223, 220 swift and 243. Reason I went with it was after doing a little research, the Thunderbeast cans have little to no POI shift. They are big into accuracy not just suppression. It's unfortunate, but I don't have it yet to verify that this is the case.

I shoot a 308 QD can on several rifles. I chose it for versatility. The thing that you have to accept is that if you are shooting anything supersonic, it is just not that quiet. It does knock the muzzle blast down but still is not hearing safe (per OSHA). When you get into the 30 cal range, it becomes easier to find sub sonic loads, basically heavy bullets per bore diameter. Those make it fun.

As far as POI shifts, you are adding a weight to the end of your barrel, it will affect harmonics. I have a QD mount but I am told that a direct thread on will cause less POI shift.

Originally Posted By: Big SneakyI went with a TBAC 30P-1 for my next can. Going to run it on 223, 220 swift and 243. Reason I went with it was after doing a little research, the Thunderbeast cans have little to no POI shift. They are big into accuracy not just suppression. It's unfortunate, but I don't have it yet to verify that this is the case.

You will still have poi shift. I've had a 30P-1 for three years and I think it's one of the best but I still get poi shift if I take the can off. I use mine on several different calibers with great success.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter Is it louder because of the larger hole? honestly I don't know. I've heard a few say it didn't make a difference.
your not gonna get the same sound suppression as a caliber specific can period... just think about, if you were, then why not make one can to cover every caliber and call it good, sure there is more perspective from the marketing aspect of things, but there is a reason for smaller diameter baffle bores... IF you can, go caliber specific. You will get some sound suppression with over bore cans, but not like you do with your cal specified suppressors... trust me.

I don't know about that Skinney. My .17 Rem is without doubt quieter than my .204 with my S.A.S. Sentinal Ti 5.56 can. I don't have a .22 cal. in a bolt gun to compare to, but the smaller .17 is certainly quieter than the .20 cal. is. Matter of fact, I also have a .17 Fireball bolt action that is also much quieter than the .20 cal. bolt rifle.
From what you say, it seems the .20 cal. should be quieter because of the larger bullet, but it just aint' so with mine.

Originally Posted By: songdogI don't know about that Skinney. My .17 Rem is without doubt quieter than my .204 with my S.A.S. Sentinal Ti 5.56 can. I don't have a .22 cal. in a bolt gun to compare to
I know about it... I would like to see the numbers you've recorded with the B&K 2209 or Larson Davis 800L... Each person hears different "tones" while one suppressor sounds quieter to your ear it may not be true for the other guy, thus the reason for the meter... When u have the correct equipment set up to provide factual results then we have got an understanding.

since you've obviously done some testing with smaller bores through the cans, can you show us some real world numbers please?
Another thing, and maybe you can shed some light on this. the AR's aren't as quiet as the bolt rifles. I assume that's simply because of the action opening before the bullet has cleared the barrel on the AR's?

An AR is louder because there is action noise, a bolt gun is a contained system. If you look at some suppressor sites they have sound testing available. There is a volume vs bore issue which may help the sound suppression of 17 cal bullets and over a larger caliber. Meaning: the volume of the can with a smaller powder charge may make it quieter than a larger bullet and powder charge. Supersonic cartridges are noisy regardless of the bore of the can. There is no denying that.

Originally Posted By: songdogsince you've obviously done some testing with smaller bores through the cans, can you show us some real world numbers please?
Another thing, and maybe you can shed some light on this. the AR's aren't as quiet as the bolt rifles. I assume that's simply because of the action opening before the bullet has cleared the barrel on the AR's?
sure thing buddy, I've got lots of numbers but would like to let the video speak for itself... I've gotten some great video using the B&K 2209 metering 30 cal suppressors on .224 cal weapons, as well as 22LR's db reduction is significantly noticeable using the overbore... I'll get it up sooner or later, and be sure to post it up here.

While I hear a difference between a 308 and a 5.56 when using my 7.62sd. It's a different pitch, not much difference between the sound levels that I can tell, but it is a different sound. I don't know where the difference comes from, but it is noticeable. With hearing slightly damaged from years of working around fighter jets I could just be hearing the ringing in my ears. My TiRant 45 is quieter when shooting 9mm subs than when shooting 45's. It's my understanding that the over sized volume of the bigger can makes up for the lack of efficiency of the overbore cans. Also, the 308/45 cans are substantially larger and heavier which keeps some people from going the "one can fits all" route.

Dammit... Ok, that's what I had thought. I'm not quite as in love with my 6.8 as I should be if I'm REALLY going to CAN it, but I know I want 30cal and 22cal cans.

So it seems it's worth the money to get a sacrificial break type can, as I understand you can get the break for cheap, while the can sure aint? Is that really a legit way to go? I'm not the type to burn one out for the he11 of it, but if I get on some running dogs, I won't shy from barking fire.

What kind of BS junk advice am I going to hear that I need to ignore when I go shopping for a can?

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70 It's my understanding that the over sized volume of the bigger can makes up for the lack of efficiency of the overbore cans.
that is correct, and I've had a couple manufacturers tell me this exact thing... and for subs it works alright... but get into the hi-vel (223, 22-250 or swift) and run those on a 30 cal can, and the added internal volume doesn't do your platform the justice a cal specific can does... the higher pressure sasses through the overbore a tad faster than your caliber specific...

Originally Posted By: Varminterror
What kind of BS junk advice am I going to hear that I need to ignore when I go shopping for a can?

You're doing the right thing by asking questions first and doing your own research, I've had 2 or 3 phone calls this past year from guys around the country asking me how bad they [beeep]*** up buying this or that, or they paid up and their 200.00 check to the ATF still hasn't went through after a few months of wait time... etc. etc. heck I've had guys come in with their brain set on go for a specific model and manufacturer, and I'll flat out tell them my experience in the killing field with it, IF I've used it...
More than likely your going to get what you want, regardless, of what others say... if its a 6.8 your suppressing a 30 cal can will work just fine, I was considering getting a custom 6.5 can done from SRT this year for my 260 so I could meter it and compare the sound to my 30 cal 02 Shadow XL Ti... but heck, It sounded so good I said screw it, not saying the 6.5 custom can would be A LOT quieter, but IF I don't need hearing protection using what I've got, and I'm killin the piss outta dogs, I'll roll with it.

dogtired hit on my next question, would a .223 and a 220 swift, all else being equal other than case/powder capacity, be suppressed to the same level of db through a .22 cal. can?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: songdog

Sorry, I didn't see this right off... I just got done metering a couple AR platforms a few weeks ago, and had my UMAR 22-250 perform better than a .223 bolt, of course I was using the O2 Hurricane XL Ti from SRT arms, and the bolt gun wasn't.

So is there a noticeable difference in AR performance/function with/without the can? I'm thinking specifically will a can make enough pressure difference that the adjustable gas block will need tweaked back and forth every time you remove or replace the can?

If you're suppressing an AR and are going to shoot more than twice in a row I would suggest a PRI Gas Buster charging handle or you'll get a face full of gas.

The only thing I have noticed in function with the 223 AR using a 308 can is the action gets dirtier. I do not have an adjustable gas block in the 223, in the 300 BLK I have one installed but ended up with it wide open. Still dirties the action.

My supressed 30-30 Nef is fun.

All QD, all ready for the can.

Last edited:
Back