Dog Training Question?

WhoCares

Hi. I have a 2 yr old Australian Sheppard that I would like to try and train for coyote hunting..(my daughters dog but will have to do for the time being)
He will load in the truck good and come when I call him, and follow basic verbal commands. However I decided to take him calling with me on Saturday and all he did was run around and make noise, I couldn't get him to sit next to me, if he found a scent on the ground he would completely ignore my verbal commands, and he just generally drove me Crazy.. At the end of the day I decided to fire my AR just to see how he would react, and he was not happy.. Scared the crap out of him..

Ive read about these collars with remotes. Seems like getting him used to that would be a good start. What brand or type should I get to start out with? Should I take him to the range with me on a leash and let him get used to gunfire?

Thanks

I wouldn't shoot a loud gun around him until you get him comfortable around gun shots. You may get him scared enough where he doesn't come out of it. Take him in the field with a .22 and let him play while you shoot. Don't look at him or act like he should even care that you are shooting. If he sees you being calm with the shots, so will he. The worst thing you can do is continue to scare him.

Funny, I read the unedit and wanted to say something like, "Well that's not quite the way I would have said it, but Devin is exactly right."

Your edit indicates you might agree. (-:

running around while you call isnt always a bad thing. sounds like you need to do alot of research before you take your dog and possibly ruin him.

Originally Posted By: Devin69It's my A.D.D. that gets the better of me.

That's what they tell me. Funny to see the way that one went. LOL

Originally Posted By: Devin69Well if the truth be known, My wife smacked me up the side of the head and told me to be nice.

LMAO

She must be an angel! You got boots and she's got wings, huh?

I think that what Devin was trying to say in not so many words was that there is nothing wrong with a dog wandering around on stand. That is the point of a decoy dog. And that ecollars are not a fix all / cure all, and you have a better chance of ruining your dog than making him with one at this point.

See Devin, thats how you edit a post. Not just delete it! Hahaha.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyBetween me and doubleck we will learn ya some tings!

w00t.gif
lol.gif
w00t.gif

Thats why I deleted my reply. I will let you guys that went to PREDATOR UNIVERSITYY tell us all about it. Learn us please. lol

+1 on tri tronics collars. I got one for my weimarianer to polish her up at the beginning of each year, it doesnt take much to take an ok dog and turn them into a great dog.

"Whocares", do some looking around, and see how diff guys use a "decoy dog". Some of us would rather have a dog running around for no reason, way better than sitting beside. If ya do decide you need a collar, Tritronics,is the way to go.

most people that have a dog that sits beside them wish they would go run around!! im talking from expierence.

when i first got mine he sit by me, after a month with him he will range sometimes and sometimes not. i would like him out actually being a "decoy". hince the name of a decoy dog.lol

now that it has rained and snowed a few times and the ground is wet i have noticed that he ranges more. could it be that since it isnt so dang dry that there is more "smell" in the air and ground??

either way i am alot happier now that he is milling around looking for one.

Back