Deadly traps

Rock Knocker

I have got some great areas to run coyote and coon traps. I just found the largest coyote trail I have ever seen this morning and in the area coons are beating the heck out of corn fields.

My only problem is I am not willing to use snares or leg holds. I want something that is going to kill these animals fast.

I just read a little about cyanide devices and that seems like it could work well in a couple spots. Are they still legal? Can you find them? Can you find cyanide?

If you know anything about these cyanide devices or traps that kill, let me know. Thanks.

Im hoping that this post is a joke but since its probably not

NO cyanide is not legal anywhere in the US for recreational trapping

If you are anywhere near a waterbody you may be able to use foothold traps attached to a slider on a drowning wire. Not sure if deadfalls are legal there, and it would take a heck of a deadfall to take a coyote, but maybe another option.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm no trapper" but if you set traps that catch wildlife you are a trapper. Anything negative caused by that reflects on all trappers. Be careful. Good luck.

Last edited:
Use leg hold traps and check them often. That way you can release unwanted animals. Snares kill quickly but other people with pets may use the area.

man i hope you dont take offense to this, but you really need to educate yourself before you start using bodygrips. there is already enough issues with them so if you dont know how to properly use them, please do not.

Originally Posted By: michael_obrienman i hope you dont take offense to this, but you really need to educate yourself before you start using bodygrips. there is already enough issues with them so if you dont know how to properly use them, please do not.

Thats why I am asking what I should be looking into. Not asking why I am haveing so many problems.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyWhy do you only want to use kill traps?

I dont want to just get a hold on something to make it struggle for hours and hours. I dont have the heart to walk up to a traped animal and see that kind of fear. In my opinion it is a pathetic way to die and I dont want to give anything that kind of death.

The more I think about it the less I want to trap. Just because they are outsmarting me and my calls.

I am jealous about it. Im sure setting and checking traps is great fun and excitment.

I have some experience with small conibear traps for rabits at an old job. I will probably pick some up for racoons and give it a try next season. The coons where I bowhunt are thick. They really tromple a lot of corn. I just talked to the farmer and he was all for me trapping them.

I am really undecided about trapping coyotes. I have a great spot. Yesturday I walked a frozen creek that has tall steep walls on the sides. For 200 yards of the creek the only tracks I could see were coyote even the deer didnt step in there. At one section there is a tree that fell into the creek and you could tell the coyotes would squeeze through one spot, looked like a great spot for a snare.

Thanks for all the help though!

m-44s are out of the question only an idiot would prefer them over the foothold trap (no pun) or snares there a useful tool in certain scenarios but to dangerous around domestics and people not familiar with them thats why you cant buy cyanide capsules and m-44s at bass pro shops you screw up on an m-44 and your a dead man and bye the way the foothold trap is still by far th most effective tool available in the hands of somon who knows how to use it

so there are people that dont want to see an animal in a trap because they think the animals look broke down BUT if that same person can poison the same animal and the animal runs off to die a horrible miserable agonizing poisoning death that may take hours because u cant determine that part know matter who u r thats still alright with the same person as long as they dont have to view it....WHAT A JOKE.....anyone trapping and representing this method of trapping for this mind set and reasoning is WEAK IMO.....this is the same guy thats gonna set the Cyanide tablet off in his face and have a note back at the crib for his family to sue the trap maker should his VAST INEXPERIENCE get the better of him....how r u gonna even know anyway if u r getting the target animal more often than not because i can assure you the animals wont be laying next to the set off M44's in most if not all cases nor will they leave a will or note so a person knows what transpired.....hahahahahahaha.....WHAT A JOKE........PERIOD!
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: REID2168so there are people that dont want to see an animal in a trap because they think the animals look broke down BUT if that same person can poison the same animal and the animal runs off to die a horrible miserable agonizing poisoning death that may take hours because u cant determine that part know matter who u r thats still alright with the same person as long as they dont have to view it....WHAT A JOKE.....anyone trapping and representing this method of trapping for this mind set and reasoning is WEAK IMO.....this is the same guy thats gonna set the Cyanide tablet off in his face and have a note back at the crib for his family to sue the trap maker should his VAST INEXPERIENCE get the better of him....how r u gonna even know anyway if u r getting the target animal more often than not because i can assure you the animals wont be laying next to the set off M44's in most if not all cases nor will they leave a will or note so a person knows what transpired.....hahahahahahaha.....WHAT A JOKE........PERIOD!
thumbdown.gif

Well thanks for your opinion but it contradicts everything I read about the M44. This is from Wikipedia, I dont know this for a fact its just a quote from Wikipedia. "The M44 was invented in the 1960s to replace a different device known as a 'coyote-getter' which made use of powdered cyanide ejected by a primer. The M44 reduces the risk to humans from the earlier device.[1] They are considered relatively safe because of the high level of selectivity they're supposed to afford." Also "In 2003, Mr. Dennis Slaugh of Vernal, Utah, was on public lands and mistook an M-44 for a survey marker. When he pulled on it, the device shot sodium cyanide powder on his face and chest causing him to become violently ill."

From another source "The device is tripped when the pest animal sticks his nose inside the tube, grabs the bait and pulls. Hard. The spring tension is set to exclude smaller, weaker animals whose muzzles are small enough to enter the trap."

I cant find the same website as yesturday but it said something along the line of "When the cynide powder is injected into the mouth of a predator, it reacts with the moisture in the mouth and creates cynide gas which renders the animal uncontious is several seconds and will kill the animal within minutes."

Thanks for your input though. Next time check your facts before blabering like a liberal.

Well thanks for your opinion but it contradicts 1)everything I read about the M44. This is from Wikipedia, I dont know this for a fact its just a quote from Wikipedia. "2)The M44 was invented in the 1960s to replace a different device known as a 'coyote-getter'which made use of powdered cyanide ejected by a primer. The M44 reduces the risk to humans from the earlier device.[1] They are considered relatively safe because of the high level of selectivity they're supposed to afford." Also "In 2003, Mr. Dennis Slaugh of Vernal, Utah, was on public lands and mistook an M-44 for a survey marker. When he pulled on it, the device shot sodium cyanide powder on his face and chest causing him to become violently ill."

From another source "3)The device is tripped when the pest animal sticks his nose inside the tube, grabs the bait and pulls. Hard. The spring tension is set to exclude smaller, weaker animals whose muzzles are small enough to enter the trap." I cant find the same website as yesturday but it said something along the line of "When the cynide powder is injected into the mouth of a predator, it reacts with the moisture in the mouth and creates cynide gas and which renders the animal uncontious is several seconds will kill the animal within minutes."Thanks for your input though. Next time check your facts before blabering like a liberal.

[/quote]

1) well if u read it on the net and believe its the gospel and u use Wikipedia to get through life there in lies the root of the problem
2) as well if they came out in the 60's it must still be the BOMB in the 21st century too
3) also to clarify im no M44 expert but if they say only a coyote can set it off i guess dogs nor anything else can get hurt because they said it on the net and WIKIPEDIA
4) if they said it kills in minutes it must work that way every time...i mean how could it work any differently it says it on WIKIPEDIA

i dont need to reasearch WIKIPEDIA to find out something i already know may be foulable for targeting a SPECIFIC animal and far less reliable to even know what animal u r killing should the trap get set off as i can use common sense to clarify that myself......OH YEAH try spell ck as its spelled blabbering MR know it all....u should have reffered to WIKIPEDIA for the proper spelling before replying to my nonsense.......like u just did for all the information in your last know it all post.......hahahahahaha....like i said before JOKE STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX......BET!!!!!!
lol.gif

p.s. u can have the rest of this thread as i see you already know it all and dont need any real help........good luck and dont get any of that cyanide in your face as i hear from WIKIPEDIA users it only takes seconds to work properly........im sure u already read what not to do on WIKIPEDIA though so your good to go........hahahahahahahaha.......WAFDW!!!!!!!!!
lol.gif

Haha, someone forgot their Xanax.

Ok ok, your right. I regret ever reading about it, and it being used as recently as 2006.

You seem to not pay much attetion, or come up to some unique conclusions.

I dont remember saying how great cynide was. It was the first thing that sowed up when I looked for deadly traps.

I came on here to get some input on any deadly traps available. You seem to have had a very bad experience with cynide. I am sorry if I misled you into believeing I was preaching about how great the M44 is.

Heck man I have at least looked up the topic all you have done is talk $h!t about it.

false they the animal do not stick anything in a tube the ejector is set in the tube it is spring loaded when a bite pull response from a canine happens on the top screwerd on the ejecor it pulls the trigger which is locked in place on the tube the spring opos and sends cyanide powder colored orage in the capsule into the saliva glands inside its mouth killing him dead mostly in under ten seconds.........i use them in the sheep and goats and in areas i cant get to everyday and like i said only a fool would atualy consider useing them especialy finding his information on wikipedia.....
there are better more effective and safer methads you just need to do your research on something that isnt going to kill you or non targets which can be released from the foothold trap......this post is retarded i hope you have the sense to explore other options

Once again. I was just trying to get information on deadly traps. I didnt know it would be so touchy.

I know trapers and have gone along checking beaver, muskrat and coyote traps.

I never clamed to know anything on the subject thats why I brought up exactly what I have read.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerHaha, someone forgot their Xanax.

Ok ok, your right. I regret ever reading about it, and it being used as recently as 2006.

You seem to not pay much attetion, or come up to some unique conclusions.

I dont remember saying how great cynide was. It was the first thing that sowed up when I looked for deadly traps.

I came on here to get some input on any deadly traps available. You seem to have had a very bad experience with cynide. I am sorry if I misled you into believeing I was preaching about how great the M44 is.

Heck man I have at least looked up the topic all you have done is talk $h!t about it.

no i only talked about how inadequately u represent yourself by not wanting to see a trapped animal suffering but have no remorse about them suffering over poisoning as long as u dont see it happen....no more no less.....i think u got lost in the FACTS i was presenting after u lost it and ranted yourself......good luck!
lol.gif

It depends on your view of things. I don't have a problem causing an animal alot of pain and discomfort if said animal makes it a practice of causing agony to a degree we almost can't fathom. What do you think a doe feels like when a bunch of song dogs start eating the fawn she is in the process of delivering and her along with it.

Killing predators is what a predator hunter and trapper does. Go ahead and pinch their toes. Just check your sets regularly so they don't die of thirst or gangrene.
I use a scoped 22 to dispatch trapped predators.

Last edited:
Back