Lubricating Brass

Delta yote

What is the best way to lube large amounts of brass besides rolling several pieces of brass on lube pad? I have about 1K to load.

Thanks

I'm cheap and hate paying anyone 500% profit on something. So I make my own spray lube and have done it for several years.

The spray-on case lubes are probably the best thing to happen to reloading in years. You can make your own spray case sizing lube in bulk by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. (While you can (kind of) use 91% isopropyl alcohol, its higher water content causes the lanolin to settle out and it must be shaken frequently during use.

NOTE: The more common 70% isopropyl "rubbing alcohol" will not work at all as its water content is much to high, nor will denatured alcohol. work. You need to use pure liquid lanolin as the fatty solids in anhydrous lanolin will settle out in the alcohol

Liquid lanolin, which is a refined lanolin oil with the solid fats removed (the reason why solid anhydrous lanolin doesn't work well in this application) is available from health food stores and sources specializing in ingredients for cosmetics. You want to get pure liquid lanolin without additives. Online sources include VitaGlo (http://www.vitaglo.com/7730.html) or try "Amazon.com" for other suppliers.

I just recently discovered that my local Safeway store carries 99 percent isopropyl in their drug/cosmetic isle for about $2.50 for a 16 ounce bottle. Ninety-nine percent isopropyl alcohol is also available from many large paint stores (used for some finishes), some electronics stores (it's used for cleaning electronics) or local industrial chemical suppliers.

A solution of 1 part liquid lanolin and 4 to 5 parts parts 99 percent isopropyl alcohol (4 oz of liquid lanolin to16 - 20 oz of isopropyl) works well. When mixing you may find that the lanolin mixes better if you warm both the alcohol and lanolin in a bath of warm water to about 105 - 110 degrees F before mixing. DO NOT WARM EITHER OF THEM OVER AN OPEN FLAME! Once the solutions are warm, pour together, mix thoroughly, allow the mix to cool (mix occasionally as it cools) and store in an air tight container to prevent water from being absorbed by the isopropyl.

For a spray bottle you can use an old commercial spray lube bottle or an old pump hair spray bottle that has been thoroughly cleaned. To apply the lube, spread the cases in a single layer on a clean surface like an oven tray (those disposable aluminum oven liner trays are great and prevent the wrath of your chef when it is discovered that the cookie trays were used) and lightly and evenly spray the cases. Allow the cases to sit for a couple of minutes, roll the cases around and lightly spray again. Wait until the alcohol has evaporated (about 5 minutes) and start sizing. Properly lubed cases will have a slightly greasy feel to them without feeling slimy.

This lube appears to be very similar to what Dillon sells.

claimbuster looks to have a good `homebrew`, but if it were me, I`d break out the Horady One Shot. I have used the One Shot with good results. Yes, you need to clean your resizing die out real good first (remove traces of other lubes), then give the insides a spray of the One Shot before you begin. I stood up the brass in a large box (flat I think it might be called...what my beef comes in from the meat locker...has a wax like coating), anyways stand them all up and give them a good spray, all sides and let it dry a couple minutes befor you start sizing them.
I have only stuck one piece of brass, and that was using one shot, but I had failed to clean the dies first.
I don`t always use the spray, but to do several at a time this method works for me.

Every time I have EVER stuck a case in a die....it has been with Hornady One Shot. I call it One Shot Stuck.
smile.gif

Yes...I have followed directions. Yes...I have tried multiple times and multiple methods.

The lanolin and alcohol works the best. Claimbuster knows his stuff...and it is a LOT cheaper.

Get Lee collet dies a d don't worry about lube. Or, just use the Imperial sizing wax. A tiny tin of it it will last a really long time.

Ok claimbuster, as a fellow tightwad, I will be using this recipe once I empty this can of Lyman spray lube. Thanks a lot for sharing! I have loved the spray lube for sure, much better than the ol' sticky lube pads!

I'm with acloco...my only stuck cases and dented brass have been with Hornady One Shot. Since then I have been told that it was because the can needs to be shaken more prior to use. I chose to not deal with it at all and went with the Redding wax. Goes on quick and have never had a stuck case or dented shoulder.

+1 on the homebrew lube. I couldnt find lanolin anywhere, then i finally looked at a hardcore health nut grocery store. I used Heet gas antifreeze in the red bottle for the alcohol without any problems. A sprayer container will last a long time. Cases size like butta.

One shot works pretty good but when doing 1k cases using 3-4 cans it sure dont last long and gets salty

Last edited:
This thread has been done many times on this board (and others) and guys either love or hate "One shot" Personally I stay away from it. I use Dillons case lube. Claimbusters recipe does mimic the Dillon case lube if you want to take the time to mix it.

Claimbuster and I could be related, I make my own spray lube too. I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin, based it on Hornady One Shot which I like, which is costly, making me like it less. I dispense it from a Cabela's spray lube bottle which gives a good fine mist. I spray the full loading block and then turn it 180 and spray it again. The alcohol evaporates and leaves behind the lanolin. The lanolin comes off easily in the tumbler under fine corn cob media. I will give the recipe to anyone that wants it via PM, but it looks to be the same as Claimbuster's.

I bought the 99% iso online, a case was cheap. The liquid lanolin came from eBay, also cheap. I figure I have a couple lifetimes supply.

DISCLAIMER --

This info is only valid until CatShooter tells me I don't know anything...

Last edited:
I have been using mink oil for several years and it works great. I didn't like the other stuff I had and I had some mink boot oil laying around. I get my hands covered in it then grab handfuls of brass and roll it around in my hands. I've never had a stuck case but I do a lot of neck sizing and less full length sizing. It cleans off well after tumbling.

Originally Posted By: Irish_80I have been using mink oil for several years and it works great.

Well I'll be danged. I thought I was the only one that used mink oil. I have been using the same 3 1/4 oz can of Kiwi mink oil for years and there is still years more in there. I have never stuck a case of any kind with it.

I used to use Imperial case lube until I discovered mink oil. This is the best stuff ever in my book.

Back