17 Hornet vs 17 Fireball

1happyshooter

Why all the sudden interest in the hornet when the 17 fireball seemed to receive so little? Maybe my memory isn't the best but it seemed to me the fireball never generated interest when in my opinion it is built on the much superior case, better ballistics, etc.
Any thoughts?

Originally Posted By: 1happyshooterWhy all the sudden interest in the hornet when the 17 fireball seemed to receive so little? Maybe my memory isn't the best but it seemed to me the fireball never generated interest when in my opinion it is built on the much superior case, better ballistics, etc.
Any thoughts?

I don't know... but it seems like the steam went out of the 17 FireBall pretty fast. Within a year or so, Remington stopped chambering most of the rifles for it, and ammo disappeared off the dealers shelves.

I bought one of the 700 Special Editions, and was very disappointed in the cartridge, so I sold it.

Disappointed how? Accuracy, game performance?
Yes, the sizzle died pretty fast. A year or two back you could pick up a 17 fireball pretty cheap on clearance/good riddance.

In my opinion, the .17 Fireball was a brilliant solution to a non existent problem. In other words something to boost lagging sales due to lackluster .17 Remington purchases. For the handloader the .17 Rem makes better sense due to the fact that you can download it slightly resulting in longer brass life and still have a round with the same power that the .17 FB has. And should you want to you can load the .17 Rem up to its full potential and leave the .17 FB in the dust. Much the same as the .221 Fireball and the .223 Remington.

I have nothing bad to say about the smallest "furball" cartridge, but in my way of thinking it was a designed to fill a void that simply was not there.

I predict that the .17 Hornet will meet the same fate as the .17 FB. But I hope that I am wrong about it because I want one!

Originally Posted By: 1happyshooterDisappointed how? Accuracy, game performance?
Yes, the sizzle died pretty fast. A year or two back you could pick up a 17 fireball pretty cheap on clearance/good riddance.

It did not shoot like a $1,000 dollar rifle should - the chamber was sloppy, the neck was 8 thou oversize, and the throat was soooo long that I couldn't touch it with the 25gr V-Max..

The only way to fix it was a new barrel, and I didn't want to go there with it - a fellow that loooooves special editions snapped it up for $50 more than I paid for it.

I would get one of the 17 Hornady hornets if it was in a rifle that I liked - or I might find a Ruger #1 in Hornet and rebarrel for the 17 HH.

I have to agree that I don't see the Hornet taking off when the Fireball hasn't. I think the biggest problem with the Fireball is that Remington is way over-priced on their ammo and most other manufacturers like Hornady chose to come out with their own similar calibers rather than load for a Remington round. It's the same situation with the .260 Remington which is one heck of a good cartridge that other ammo manufacturers are reluctant to support. That said, I own and shoot two .17 Fireballs...Remington 700 and Encore. Both shoot better than I can shoot them. I also shoot .17 HMR, .222, .22 Hornet, and .223 in small caliber rounds. The Fireball is by far the most fun to hunt with for groundhogs, fox, and coyote. While the .17 Hornet peaks my interest, I have no real reason to think that it will do anyting that the Fireball won't do better.

I think the hornet would be better for colony varmints and a longer string of shots, not heating the barrel so quickly and using about 60-70% of powder compared to the 17 FB.

I'd say the interest right now is in the newness of it, and it's a cute litle thing just like the 17FB was/is. I think Hornady and Ruger are more on their marketing game than Remington has been lately, but time will tell. I see niche uses for all of them, and since the vast majority of shooters are not handloaders, niche uses for all of them. Now if you really wanna stir the pot, we can bring the new Win. 17WSM up again....LOL!!! I think the Hornet or the FB versions (maybe even the HMR or the WSM) may fit more average hunting scenarios better in the eastern US for sure than the Rem version, just based on population of humans (less noise), and generally shorter shooting ranges. Out West, more open longer ranges with less people as a rule. JMHO.

Looks like I'm the odd man out because I think the 17FB is the best all around walking varminter cartrige ever, but I agree with Cat in that you need to build one rather than buying one of Remmy's which are/were known for sloppy chambers.
I'd prefer my 17Rem if strictly targeting Coyotes, but I use my FB for everything from Coyotes,

noname040.jpg

to Cats,
008.jpg

to Chucks,
CZ452025.jpg

to Ground Squirrels.
Picture284-1.jpg

Now if thaqt ain't versatile, I don't know what is.
I'm glad you guy don't like em though. More components for me.

Ive shot the Fireball and liked it. Good round fast little to no recoil, accurate! And I'll tell you that thing was [beeep] on crows out to 300yds!

Originally Posted By: Mike BCharlie, in your opinion, what the max range on coyotes with the Fireball and a "good" bullet??

IMO,,, 200 max (energy wise), but 100-150's definatly better. As usuall, allot depends on how good of a shot you are in field conditions.
Truth is, I was calling Cats when I shot that Coyote but the rifle was new, the shot was only 60+/-, and she only had three legs so I did a little field testing.
smile.gif

Again, i wouldn't choose it for a steady diet of Coyotes, but it'll get the job done if your patient and use some good ol common sense..

JMO

Comparing the HH to the FB is kinda like comparing the Fireball to a 17 rem, 223 to the 22-250, 308 to '06 etc... How many more? I would also add that just because this is a predator hunting forum, it doesn't mean that every rifle they come out with should be judged on its ability to kill a freakin coyote. Wanna know how much consideration I put into the 17AH effectiveness on coyotes before I built it... Already having a 17FB in the safe? None, I didn't waste a second on it because neither of them are calling rifles anyways. when I see something cool, different or unique, that where the fun is. The only downloading I do is after my second cup of coffe in the morning.

The comment about colony shooting with the HH is spot on. You can shoot some long strings when your only burning 10 grains of powder per shot. I shoot the Fireball and the 17AH and there is a place for both. I like to run 20 gr bullets in my AH and 25's in the Fireball. I think the larger case of the FB is perfect for 25's.

When you put a conventional shoulder and neck on that outdated and obsolete hornet case it actually makes a pretty good piece of brass for these little 17's. Don't under estimate that little HH, they are impressive, have a mild report, no recoil and are real fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherGreat topic. I am interested in a 17 center fire and wanted to ask the same question. If it is okay, can we also talk about the 17 Rem on this post?

I'm game....
thumbup1.gif
ask away.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterComparing the HH to the FB is kinda like comparing the Fireball to a 17 rem, 223 to the 22-250, 308 to '06 etc... How many more? I would also add that just because this is a predator hunting forum, it doesn't mean that every rifle they come out with should be judged on its ability to kill a freakin coyote. Wanna know how much consideration I put into the 17AH effectiveness on coyotes before I built it... Already having a 17FB in the safe? None, I didn't waste a second on it because neither of them are calling rifles anyways. when I see something cool, different or unique, that where the fun is. The only downloading I do is after my second cup of coffe in the morning.

The comment about colony shooting with the HH is spot on. You can shoot some long strings when your only burning 10 grains of powder per shot. I shoot the Fireball and the 17AH and there is a place for both. I like to run 20 gr bullets in my AH and 25's in the Fireball. I think the larger case of the FB is perfect for 25's.

When you put a conventional shoulder and neck on that outdated and obsolete hornet case it actually makes a pretty good piece of brass for these little 17's. Don't under estimate that little HH, they are impressive, have a mild report, no recoil and are real fun to shoot.

Well said!

If you do the math, the difference in the powder charge will amount to about a dollar and a quarter for fifty shells. Hardly a deal breaker. I will have to try one, it seems it would be a fun little cartridge to play with.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherAre there any charts comparing the 17 Hornet, FB and Rem. I would like to sell the 17HMR and move towards a center fire 17 that I can reload for.

I don't have a chart for you but will break it down as easy as I can. You have fast, faster and fastest! How fast do you want to go?

Truthfully, they all shoot flat to 200 yards so it really depends on your use for the rifle and the bullets chosen for those targets.

Back