Who do you hunt with

Ok you two, I see now how you have rigged this post.LOL

TJ, Let me tell you something about your Dad. You are very fortunate, some of us haven't been that blessed. Don't take him for granted and take advantage of any opportunity you may have to spent time with him. From what I have seen, you guys make one hell of a team.

I personally like to hunt anytime I can and with who ever wants to go.

Normally I hunt alone, I like being with friends and all but hunting gives me some time alone to work out problems(why that stupid turkey is going away form me etc.). I hunt with friends a lot as well, and my dad likes to go when he can.

Ran, it's not how it looks :rolleyes: honest.
I started hunting at 12 yrs. to protect my animals. I had no mentor. I had two uncles who were deer hunters (once a year hunters) but they wouldn't take me under their wing (good thing). I didn't get a regular hunting buddy until I was 19. And I had to teach him. Like you, we went every chance we could. It only lasted 8 years. He went to 'Nam and didn't come back.

Now a days, I like to hunt with experienced friends. And my boy. He's a quick study and remembers what he's been taught. I like having confidence in my hunting partner, whoever it may be. It's a major distraction having to worry about that other gun. I've been shot at by fools, and winged by a "friend". Too hard to concentrate on the task if you can't trust who you hunt with.

I hunt with the amazing ND Coyote Killer. He is great to hunt with just as long as you have enough time in the day to allow him to drop the kids off at the pool.

I used to hunt with my grandfather. He was the one who took me along with him when I was a tiny kid, and he was there when I killed my first deer. Unfortunately his arthritis is so bad that he can't hunt anymore, so now I do solo trips (much to my mother's dismay). I do take tons of pictures when I go, and I write out the events of the hunt and then mail all of that to him, and I think that he gets as much of a kick out of seeing me succeed as he ever did hunting.
BWB

Good for you BWB. You're a good grandson. I hope my kids remember me when I'm too old to hunt anymore.

Mr. NASA-
I can guarantee that your kids will remember you for taking them hunting. You would be surprised how such small things (letting us take the first shot, teaching us how to tell the difference between animal tracks, etc) make such big impressions on us. I applaud you for taking your kids hunting. Society tells us that letting kids be around guns is one of the causes of teen violence, I say BS. I was 6 years old when I got my first rifle, a singleshot .22, and the first thing that I learned is that whenever I have a gun, I am RESPONSIBLE and ACCOUNTABLE (uh-oh, not supposed to use those words) for my actions. I was taught to think and look before pulling that trigger, because once that firing pin goes, there is nothing in the world that I can do. That awareness and responsibility has carried over into my daily life. Now at age 17, I practice my turkey calling while other kids are out getting drunk. I spend my weekends in the woods while my class mates spend it sleeping with random girls. Mr. NASA, I owe the way that I live my life to my grandfather, and someday soon your kids will realize how much you really taught them. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now :rolleyes:
BWB

very occasionally i go hunting with my dad but usually my only hunting partner is my little dog.
i agree with backswoodboy or whoever said that about being brought up with guns. before i first picked up a gun i knew the safety rules and always follow them but i know people who only started shooting as adults and they are complete d/h's with guns.

I mostly hunt a guy i met here on PM you all know him as KEEKEEYELP. I hunt with my dad now and then and i take my little brother when i get the chance but me and dad dont get along at all, were always at each others throats. and we have differnt veiws on hunting. he deer hunts for meat i hunt for horns. Turkey and deer is about all he does, me if it has a season im after that and thinks im wasting time and money with all this predator calling, but oh well he is just stubborn in his own ways.

Friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ? What are those? My dad dont hunt. My cousins dont hunt, Nobody hunts where I live and if they do they are once a year people. I have to learn to hunt all alone. Im just barely 17 and learned everything all by my lonesome. Going good though, shot my first buck in 03, with a recurve. going after elk and deer with the longbow I made. again alone, but what do ya do.

Below is an article that I started the other day. I haven't had any luck coming up with a title (maybe y'all can help me out).

By Jim Toney
For as long as I can remember, I have had a love for the outdoors. My earliest memories are those of hunting and fishing in northern California with my dad. Even though my folks divorced before I could pack a BB gun, my dad saw to it that I was raised in the field.
Although our time together was mostly limited to weekends, my dad mad good use of that time when teaching me the ways of the outdoors. I looked forward to every outing as if it were Christmas morning.
I can remember the brisk mornings of steelhead fishing in the Sacramento River or the evenings spent guarding pond levies against the seemingly endless air assault of the mourning doves. I treasure the memories of the all night catfishing trips at Black Butte Lake. I can still remember the smell of the Mullen on the hot summer nights as we drove the back roads in search of rattlesnakes.
Something that I didn’t realize back then was that with each outing there was a new lesson to be learned, a memory to be made. Lessons and memories that I would one day look back on and appreciate.
My dad was my hunter’s safety instructor. Not the one that could pass or fail me on a test, but the one really mattered. If I didn’t meet with his approval, I lost my gun privileges. If he caught me being unsafe, I got “thumped”. And I did too, on more occasions than I care to admit.
Not only did he teach me to be safe, he taught me how to shoot. At an old shooting range just off Jelly Ferry road, we shot countless rounds of twenty two ammo into targets nailed to a big old oak tree. You can’t shoot there anymore and that oak finally fell over but that turn out still has a special spot in my memory.
Did I mention how I learned to drive? My driving lessons took place on just about every back road in Tehama County. The first time I was ordered into the driver’s seat, I could barely reach the pedals. With just the right amount of padding under and behind me, I could reach the pedals and see over the dash. By the time I was ten I could take us just about anywhere that we wanted to go.
I got my first shotgun the year that I turned ten, a single shot 410. I’ll never forget the first hunt with that gun.
We went up to the black oak thicket just below East Low Gap for gray squirrel and mountain quail. It was late fall and pretty cool up there in the high country. My dad was shooting his old tube fed semi-auto .22 and I was tot’n my newly acquired scatter gun. I walked right beside my dad as we stalked through the black oaks in search of squirrels. I shot my first gray squirrel that day and it only took me a half a box of shells.

Nowadays my dad doesn't do much but sit in a bar. It breaks my heart to see a man sitting in a bar when all his kid wants to do is go hunting with his dad.

I'd give an arm if I could go out and jump ponds for ducks with my dad just one more time.

I don't take my kids out on every hunt but I do take them out often. AW

Back