nice large male coyote, tough stalk

Tactical .20

I spotted this coyote laying up on a half mile fencline, he could see pretty much 360 degrees for a 1/2 mile or more. I parked on the ne corner of the section using a small graveyard to hopefully hide my truck. I had stopped to look at a grass clump and it was a big male looking right back at me. Sometime they run if you stop.
My only choice was to use a road ditch to help hide me I had to use it a 1/2 mile to the south, then hopefully I could use the fence he was laying up on as cover for my finall approach. I had to walk stooped over and crawl the 1/2 mile, then the first 130 yds up the fenceline I could walk upright, finally! Then I started to crawl, needing to get to 300yds. I got there, he had been getting up, I figured he was tired of the 12-15mph breeze, thinking of another spot out of the wind. He stood up again, still had no clue I was there, I crawled a couple feet to my right to clear the grass in the fence. I took my shot at 300yds, he fell right there, never got up again.
That was a tough stalk, it was hard to get that close with him awake. My first stalk of the winter. He was very big, stout, and had a lot of fat on him. He had more than an inch of fat on his chest. All males so far, and all adults too. Parvo or distemper took the others.
It was my first coyote I shot with the Nosler 32 gr, only a .20 cal hole in and out! Nice, nice fur and no damage!
1357354449.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I would see some coyotes bedded down out in the open to try and stalk one but I have only seen one coyote bedded down in my entire life. I snuck to within 30 yards of him while turkey hunting but its illegal to kill them during spring turkey season so it got a pass.

Nice job!!

That's a great stalk, the snow around us is crunchy as ever guys.

Give this guy credit.

Nice shot too!!

Were you able to hold it right on him with it being 300 yards and breezy??

Now don't be bringing those skills to far north!!

Ya I aimed a little too far left for the wind, I was almost facing the wind straight on. The t.20 is 1.5" high at 100 and 1" low or dead on at 300yds. So all I need to do is get within 330-350 yds and it should be good. The wind isn't to bad, I have a chart for my rifle on the gun stock, a wind meter would be great! It wasn't too noisy, I have had them hear me 200-400yds away before. The light snowshoes and if crawling it is a lot quieter approach. I drove 400 miles in 3 days, that was the only coyote I saw, there not many out there, some tracks, but not many.

Back