17hmr to 17 WSM conversion

Manny1972

Gidday
What do you think about converting a CZ in 17HMR into the new 17 winchester super magnum?

Possibility or too far out?

Well I dont know the specs of the new 17winchester round but interested to know what it takes to modify the CZ.
Guess there are plenty more like us

Without knowing the magazine specs on the CZ and the OAL on the 17 Win. this is more of just an observation, but it looks to me like the 17 Win. is a quite a bit longer than the 17HMR.

Originally Posted By: K22Without knowing the magazine specs on the CZ and the OAL on the 17 Win. this is more of just an observation, but it looks to me like the 17 Win. is a quite a bit longer than the 17HMR.

I think it's too long to fit in the magazines designed for the 17 HMR and the 22 mag.

Also the body has a larger diameter which means the case head is also larger. That means the firing pin strike won't be in the correct location for the larger case. It would strike more towards the center instead of the rim. The bolt face and extractors will be screwed up too.

All of that aside, does these existing 17HMR and 22 mag actions have the length to accommodate the longer case? It's more than just sticking a longer magazine under the rifle.

file-18.jpg

22 LR, 22 Mag, 17HMR and the two on the right are the new 17WSM.

To me at least all of this means the manufacturers are going to make completely new rifles or major adaptions to existing rifles to allow them to fire this round. If there isn't an industry wide acceptance of this cartridge with most manufactures producing a nice varity of rifles for it, it's future will be in doubt. Then you will have to order your ammo thru retailers who also stock 5mm rem mag.

ETA
Downeast beat me to it, I typed the post and forgot to hit enter before eating dinner ! LOL

Last edited:
I think the key to widespread acceptance will be the cost of rifles chambered for it. If its in the same price range of other mass produced rim fires it will be a hit. The success of the 17 WSM will depend on Marlin, Savage and CZ. If it takes Centerfire money to buy one it won't do as well.

If the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.

Personally, if things get too extreme in the rimfire world, I think rimfire only zones will rewrite their codes, negating the benefit.

For the rest of us that can use centerfires, why do I need a rimfire that can do what my centerfires do?

Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneI think the key to widespread acceptance will be the cost of rifles chambered for it. If its in the same price range of other mass produced rim fires it will be a hit. The success of the 17 WSM will depend on Marlin, Savage and CZ. If it takes Centerfire money to buy one it won't do as well.

I think your in part correct. I think the price of admission to the show is going to cost more than your average rimfire rifle though. The higher performing rifle is going to demand more money upfront. Especially if new rifles have to be built to accommodate the cartridge. Which wasn't the case when the HMR came out because it simply run off a 22 mag action.

Support for the cartridge needs to be two fold, budget rifles and some higher quality stuff like the CZ, Ruger, Winchester and maybe a Browning. I know several who won't buy if it up to Marlin and Salvage to carry the load.

Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneIf the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.
Considering the price of brass and in particular scrap brass its doubtful. Revolutionary would be some way to collect and recycle all the brass that otherwise gets left on the ground.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorPersonally, if things get too extreme in the rimfire world, I think rimfire only zones will rewrite their codes, negating the benefit.

For the rest of us that can use centerfires, why do I need a rimfire that can do what my centerfires do?
I don't know anything about rim fire only zones, we don't have them in Maine. The manufacture of new guns and new calibers stopped being about need a long time ago. I don't think any rim fire will be replacing center fires anytime soon, but it doesn't mean I don't want a better performing rimfire.I'm kinda excited about the prospects.

Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererOriginally Posted By: DowneastWayneIf the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.
Considering the price of brass and in particular scrap brass its doubtful. Revolutionary would be some way to collect and recycle all the brass that otherwise gets left on the ground.
Sorry, I don't understand how that affects the sale of new calibers. As far as recycling the brass, all one has to do is bend over and pick it up. I've been doing it for years.

Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorPersonally, if things get too extreme in the rimfire world, I think rimfire only zones will rewrite their codes, negating the benefit.

I don't know anything about rim fire only zones, we don't have them in Maine. The manufacture of new guns and new calibers stopped being about need a long time ago. I don't think any rim fire will be replacing center fires anytime soon, but it doesn't mean I don't want a better performing rimfire.I'm kinda excited about the prospects.

I like the idea of a .17 rimfire with more muscle than the HMR. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Was thinking on this a bit more last nite. Winchester, the ammo company, is not Winchester, the gun company anymore - hasn't been for along time. Not too sure where an ammo company is going with this if even THEY can't produce guns for it, AND it need a new special action length for non-break action guns. They have to have already partenered with someone to produce guns, ala Hornady with Ruger on the 17 Hornet, etc. - to not do so would be project suicide. JMHO.

Not to pick nits, but hornady partnered with savage on the 17 Hornet. Hornady and ruger were together on the 17 HMR and 204 though.....

From what little info I've been able to come up with, the test rifle going around to the gun writers is a pre production Savage prototype. I still think if its going to be successful it's going the vast majority of rifles are going to have to be priced less than a centerfire. Not to say there shouldn't be higher end guns, but the average Joe is going to need to be able to buy one for less than $400. If Savage is taking the lead on this, they'll have a winner.

If an entry level gun for this caliber costs $600 to $800 or more it will keep a lot of buyers out of the market. [beeep], I'd rather get one of the centerfire 17s for that kind of money. What do I know, I'm just a guy who works with his hands trying to support a family...

Back