243 wssm reloading issues

losthelegend

I have a dtech 243 wssm upper. When I reloaded some ammo they would not chamber correctly. I am using rcbs fl size dies and looks like the casing has a crown on the exterior of the brass an 1/8" above the bottom of the brass. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas what is causing it. Factory ammo chambers just fine. I also tried a set of redding dies and I am having the same issues. Thanks in advance for your input!

Couple of things:

RCBS Dies. IME that stands for: R Complete B.S.
ONLY with RCBS have I EVER had a FL sizing problem, Lee FL dies, or RCBS small base dies have solved issues before.
I don't know about Redding, but will assume that they are fine, so that part MAYBE checked.

The next issue is the brass for WSSM's. Again it has been my exp that the brass is of such Shyte quality, that after 1 firing it needs annealed, AND many times needs the neck turned.
I would suspect that you need some annealing done. The brass is to "Hard", so you size it, but when coming out of the die it, "springs" back to pre-sized dimentions.
THAT was a never ending battle for my 223 WSSM. So I finally said F-You to that round and brass.

Is the spot that you are talking about an actual bulge, or just a mark? My 243 WSSM brass has a mark in the same area but, it is not actually bulging out.

Are you bumping the shoulder back far enough? I was having similar chambering issues when I 1st started loading for my 243WSSM. I had a heck of a time getting the die adjusted properly...way more than for any other caliber. I bought a set of these Redding competition shell holder set and solved my problems within 10 minutes of the UPS dude showing up at my door.

I use RCBS dies exclusively and have done so for 55 years w/no issues, including loads for my Dtech 243 WSSM. The 243 WSSM case is much thicker than standard cases and w/AR bolts unlocking before all breech pressure is relieved, require a bit of cam-over on most presses to bring case back within spec.

Try snugging your sizing die and I'd bet yor problem goes away. IIRC, mike put out some literature with his rifle regarding this issue.

Regards,
hm

I also use RCBS dies for my 243 WSSM D-Tech reloading and have not had any problems.

My RCBS sizing die is set to cam-over and the resized brass works fine.

Originally Posted By: hm1996I use RCBS dies exclusively and have done so for 55 years w/no issues, including loads for my Dtech 243 WSSM. The 243 WSSM case is much thicker than standard cases and w/AR bolts unlocking before all breech pressure is relieved, require a bit of cam-over on most presses to bring case back within spec.

Try snugging your sizing die and I'd bet yor problem goes away. IIRC, mike put out some literature with his rifle regarding this issue.

Regards,
hm
^^x2. I had to same problem when I started. I also got a case mic from Mike at Dtech and bump the shoulders back to factory specs to about .002 below. No problems since..
thumbup1.gif

Just screw the sizing die down another turn or so until you feel the lever cam over on the shell holder, that should cure your problem. You need to push the shoulder back just a touch more. I loaded the 243WSSM cases for several years for my AR, the brass is thick and tough to deal with until you get it adjusted right, then it's just normal reloading procedures.

RCBS dies are one of the sets that I have used for the WSSM's without issue. There is another prominent die maker that has had plenty of problems with the WSSM case, but not the RCBS.

I send a letter along with every WSSM upper explaining how to set-up your sizing die to avoid these issues. If you follow the letter, you will not have any problems resizing the brass.

If it has wssm behind it, u will have problems. I built a 223 wssm had it rebarreled dumped about 1500 into that gun and it shot like no other but I started with 400 pieces of brass and when I sorted all them I ended up with about 35 that the gun liked. Bottom line is the brass is junk and if a guy wants to shoot one acuratly u need to really work over the brass.

Mine shoots just fine and I've always liked Winchester brass. I'm still working on my loads but it's already showing good signs mines a 243wssm

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachIf it has wssm behind it, u will have problems. I built a 223 wssm had it rebarreled dumped about 1500 into that gun and it shot like no other but I started with 400 pieces of brass and when I sorted all them I ended up with about 35 that the gun liked. Bottom line is the brass is junk and if a guy wants to shoot one acuratly u need to really work over the brass.

Originally Posted By: DarkkerThe next issue is the brass for WSSM's. Again it has been my exp that the brass is of such Shyte quality, that after 1 firing it needs annealed, AND many times needs the neck turned.
I would suspect that you need some annealing done. The brass is to "Hard", so you size it, but when coming out of the die it, "springs" back to pre-sized dimentions.
THAT was a never ending battle for my 223 WSSM. So I finally said F-You to that round and brass.

As stated in my previous post, I've never had trouble w/RCBS dies. I have also never had any problems w/either WW or Fed 243 WSSM brass. Based on the two posts quoted, it would appear that the common issue is w/223???

Regards,
hm

Anyone have a good accurate load for nosler 95 grain bt combined technology for my 243 wssm oly. ar-15 with 24 inch barrell.300- 600 yd. shots at coyotes .

Hi Mike , I have hornady dies , any problems with them ? How can I get my hands on this letter of yours ? I'm haveing trouble with cases not fitting in the chamber after 3 reloads . 243 wssm olympic ar-15 upper with stainless 24 inch barrel.I have a Browning bolt gun and they won't fit in it either .This is an excellant long range caliber for coyotes .

I'm going to try what FALfire,steve154 and hm said above . It makes perfict sense . Thanks , I need to get my new ar out to the coyote bait and give my bolt gun a rest .

Back