Anyone use a Remington 788 in 22-250

mwells72774

New to this site, recommended by btech29 that I join.

My question, anyone using a remington 788 in 22-250? What kind of performance are you getting?

I have one that shoots great...have killed more with it than anything else. They aint all that pretty and they rattle a bit but mine will shoot right up there with alot customs. I think the accuracy comes from several things

Barrel tenon is very long (makes for a rigid barrel/action interface).

Time period they were made Remington made good barrels

Multiple locking lugs

I have been told they have a very fast lock time.

Mine will be the last gun I part with

First real varminter I ever owned was a 788 in 22/250.
Bought it (with a 4X Tasco) for 50.00 from a drunk Iron Worker that had spent his whole pay-check but wasn't drunk enough yet. LOL
Traded it in about 20 years later on a Browning 1895 Low Wall in 250 that was allot prettier but didn't shoot any better.

I keep debating if I want to trade it for a newer rifle, but I hear so much positive about it. It a tack driver for sure, kinda heavy, and is down right ugly, but its a shooter and I load for 22-250 now.

Mine was a tack driver until the barrel gave out!!

Five shots into .420" all day long!

It would get dirty and open to .520, clean it and go right back to .420!

Mine has the Canjar single set trigger and when you couple that with the fast lock time ...... it's DRT!!

Three 44s

That was my first real rifle. Still have it but it just stays in the safe now a days. Killed a lot of coyotes with it and a few deer barrel is shot out in mine.

i have one in 22-250 and 243 had one that was 308.
never used the 308
243 has killed many many coyotes fox bobcat and deer.
its my all time favorite rifle.
the 22-250 is just as accurate but I've only had it a couple years its going to take 20 years to catch up with ol Bessy.
i would put the 243's accuracy up against any high dollar target rig she just needs to be in just as capable hands as the target rifle.
if I'd work up a load for the 22-250 like i did with Bessy she could hold her own as well.
I'm still shooting my 1st box of ammo thru the 22-250 and she has 3 coyotes under her belt.
the triggers could use work but I've shot them so long i don't even notice the long stroke.
1st shot fired in anger out of the 22-250
01-07-11_1025.jpg

the way to many to count coyote shot with of the 243
P1030358.JPG
see where I've carried her around in the finish
Bessy's new face lift
IMAG00601.JPG

my son shoots one in 22-250 also.
P.S. the 22-250 with a 50gr ballistic tip might be a little much on coyotes at 5 paces. lol
blew the rabbit it had for breakfast right out of it onto the ground beside it. looked like prairie dogs with the 300 mag. i have a pic on my phone buts probably a little to graphic

Last edited:
cmiddleton, where did you find that stock? someone used mine for a hammer and carving practice. had to cut 1.5" off and reshape a replacement butt plate. on the carving, initials I assume, they filled them with maroon fingernail polish. its rough but a work in progress.

I really want a howa or savage in 204, 22-250, or 243 though

Last edited:
I had a 788 in this caliber back in the mid 80's. Like my present 788/223 is shot very tight groups. I wish I didn't part with it. I would call the 22/250 the best commercial long range centerfire 22's.

has anyone had to replace the bolt stop? I lent it to my nephew and he brought it back with the bolt out. asked him what happened and he said he took several shots and on the last one, he went to throw the bolt back and it came all the way out. what causes this??

Originally Posted By: mwells72774has anyone had to replace the bolt stop? I lent it to my nephew and he brought it back with the bolt out. asked him what happened and he said he took several shots and on the last one, he went to throw the bolt back and it came all the way out. what causes this??

Hey! I had my gunsmith replace my bolt stop in my 788. My rifle was used as a prison guard rifle. It got handled a lot, but it didn't get fired. My gunsmith said he believed who ever was using this worked the bolt way too often, probably by a guard that wasn't gun savvy. Maybe this wasn't necessarily the case.

My rifle was probably manhandled, but there are worse case scenarios. I was happy the bore was pristine on mine. Back in the 90's I payed $175 cause it "needed work", but I still have less than $200 in the gun.

Back