.17 Mach 2?

Varminterror

A buddy of mine called today about a .17 Mach2 on a shelf at one of our "regular dives". I've been intrigued by the little cartridge for a long time, so I'm pondering picking it up.

Anyone ever used one? What's the ammo availability like? What's the performance like compared to the .22LR on game?

I have one in a Marlin 917V. I had the barrel cut down to 17" (hey, it's a 17!!). Carved the stock all to heck. I site in for 65 yards, getting dime to nickel size groups. I have only shot some small birds with it, not really fair, pulverizes 'em.

I love the little 17HM2. I own 3 of them, all CZ's. I wish I had one as a child growing up. They are superbly accurate and devestating on small game. Many say the best squirrel round devised. Internet sales for ammo. Hovering around $6.00 to $7.00 a box for ammo currently. The improvements in ballistics are truly amazing. They are a .22LR (stinger) in parent case only.

ammo seems to be harder to find all the time,
Is it a passing fad only time will tell I think the 17hmr has a better long time chance.

I picked up a 17M2 CZ 452 It shoots amazingly flat for such a little cartridge,I have killed 21 groundhogs with it this year never lost one, the farthest was about 60 yrds. great little gun can't wait to take it squirrel hunting, another plus is mine shoots all brands of ammo very well.
I don't know if it is capable of anything bigger than a ground hog and I also should say they were all head shots, and all bled profusely unlike my 17FB there is very little blood it stops them instantly they just kinda go to sleep.
It is a fun little cartridge for close range vermin or squirrels I hope it stays around I will stock up on ammo though if it doesn't

Got three, but thinking about selling one, as it's reduntant. Ammo was abuot $4ish last year, but that has gone away. It's now about $6-7. It's still for the money a better round than the HMR. Like said above, the perfect squirrel round. 1" point blank out to 125 yards.

Ammo is cheaper online, but I have found ammo at every gun show I have been to, so I have to question the "getting harder to find"

No experiences on larger game like fox or bobcat, even coyotes? I know not many folk are versed at using .22LR on predators, but I know if guys HAVE something, they're often apt to TRY something.

fox or bobcat maybee. A friend of mine had a mach 2 but liked my .17 hmr much better. If you want to go for coyote I recommend the HMR as it will pack more punch and better range.

Between that little rifle on the shelf at the local shop, or a barrel for one of my 10/22's, I'm mostly just intrigued about the little round, and want an excuse to give one a go.

I definitely have plenty of other cartridges/rifles I can use for coyotes, but if the .17HM2 was enough for coyotes, or at least fox and bobcats, that'd be an extra selling point to give me an excuse to buy one.

For the ammo availability doubters. Why would companies quit making ammo for it? It is built on 22 brass. Unlike the 5 mm, it should always be cheap to make both types of necked down 22 rimfire ammo.

Last edited:
Killed coons beavers coyotes foxes badgers. Have issues with cci ammo. Have an hmr too. Need to scope the hm2 again so i can shoot it.

I put a Shilen .17 Mach 2 barrel on Ruger 77/22. It is a good shooter. I use it for small varmints around the yard/ buildings.

Last edited:
Back