Anyone had any Kimber 84M Varmint expirence??

I have a pro-varmint, it's my favorite rifle by far! Accurate, well balanced, accurate, great quality, accurate, cleans easy, accurate, oh, and its accurate.

I owned a Kimber classic and a Kimber Pro Varmint. Both in 22-250. Two of the best looking guns i've owned. The Classic was well balanced and pointed great. The Pro varmint was front heavy. I hand loaded for both and never achieved better than a 2" group out of the classic and a 1 1/4" group out of the PV. I sent the classic back to Kimber with my problems and a year worth of tuning info. They played with the barrel and sent it back with a target and three shot group from 25 yrds that measured 1"???. I sold both of them and had a few rifles built on Remington actions and they shoot ten times beter and I did it for about the same price and was able to use AI chambers. If you are interested in accuracy....I dont think they are any better than a off the shelf Remington and in my experence they aren't nearly as good as the Savage Predators. Two of my friends have them and they out shot the Kimbers by a big margin. Brent

Originally Posted By: gcfd360how well do you like the Montana's??

Love them. One of the finest Coyote rifles I've ever had.

Again my experience is a stellar one. Both me and a buddy bought pro varmints in .204 and they are .5 moa or better rifles. Out shot every Remington I've ever had.

Hello,

I have a Kimber .223 pro varmint (about 1 yr. old gun)....it shoots better than I. I get .5 to .75 (approx.) groups at 100 yards with make shift bag for a rest. Mine seems to like 55 gr.+ ammo better than the lighter weight stuff. I have only shot over the counter ammo, no handloads. Good luck!

For the money I think a guy can do alot better accuracy wise. My buddy had the 84 in a 223 and no matter what you did to that thing it shot around an inch, I think they should shoot better for the money, just my 2 cents

I own one Kimber Varmint and five other lightweight Kimber rifles. Three Montana's, a Classic Stainless Select, and a Classic Select Grade.

The Varmint is a 22-250 and all the rest are hunting rifles chambered from 243 Win up to 280AI and 308 Win. All shoot extremely well.

One thing that causes many people to complain abut Kimber accuracy is the fact that the light weight rifles require more shooter attention than just laying the rifle over a bag and shooting it like you might with a heavier sporter weight rifle. The light weight Kimbers, even in a caliber like a .223, 243 Win, or a 7MM-08 will have a lot of muzzle flip at firing which affects accuracy. As a result, the shooter has to anchor the rifle more securely in the front bag with his hand on the stock to minimize muzzle flip to achieve the best accuracy from the rifle from a bench.

I would not hesitate to buy another Kimber. IMO, they have a lot going for them.

I would like to add to what I said before about the Kimber PV that I own....I like the controlled round feed of the Kimbers...I am a fan of the mauser action and it's variants...I am a machinist also, so I like to look at the fit and finish of guns from that point of view also...the Kimbers I own are all above average....I have not tried a bunch of ammo combinations with this particular rifle yet....but the accuracy that I am getting is really quite good for real world hunting in Missouri......After having a Remington 700 firing when taking off safety a few times....I got rid of it, and vowed to never own one again! I didn't feel safe with it in the field or at the range!...The Kimbers I have work great,look great ,and have decent enough accuracy for the hunting I do here in MO...I did consider the Savage rifles, but was turned off by their lack fit and finish, but that doesn't mean I would not buy one if the price was right for a bang around truck gun! Good Luck!

Last edited:
I had a Varmint in 204, of the 5 Kimber centerfire rifles I've owned it was the least accurate. I'm sure it was just a bad apple because all my others have been stellar in accuracy. I personally would love to have a Montana in 223 1-8 twist will handle any bullets from 45-80grs and a nice lightweight pkg. Would be a perfect calling rifle.
Ratzapper who jacked up the trigger on your 700? I've never seen one malfunction that hadn't been "tuned". In the CNBC debauchery you should also notice not once did they say any of the rifles in question were in factory condition. I'd bet every single one had been adjusted.

Last edited:
I sold a nice semi-custom 308 that was deadly accurate and bought a Kimber Varmint in 22-250. Pretty to look at but accuracy was disappointing, so I sold it. Probably better buys for the money. IMO

I have a Kimber Pro Varmint in .22-250. It's a very nice gun, and I like the feel and looks of it alot. But so far I have only found 1 powder/bullet combination that this gun will shoot. IMHO any heavy barreled "varmint" gun should be capable of 1/2" groups at 100yds. This Kimber will only get close to that with one load, everything else is 3/4" and larger. If the gun had cost me $$ I would have sold it already and bought a nice Remmy with the funds. But it was free so I keep playing with it.

Originally Posted By: WareagleI had a Varmint in 204, of the 5 Kimber centerfire rifles I've owned it was the least accurate. I'm sure it was just a bad apple because all my others have been stellar in accuracy. I personally would love to have a Montana in 223 1-8 twist will handle any bullets from 45-80grs and a nice lightweight pkg. Would be a perfect calling rifle.
Ratzapper who jacked up the trigger on your 700? I've never seen one malfunction that hadn't been "tuned". In the CNBC debauchery you should also notice not once did they say any of the rifles in question were in factory condition. I'd bet every single one had been adjusted.

I don't know what was wrong with the trigger or the safety?...I was young man when I got the rifle and didn't have much confidence in fixing the matter!....I ended up selling the rifle to a friend who wanted the barrel and action for a project and was fully aware of the situation!(he was there once when it happened)....Just haven't felt right about owning another after that!....

Back