CZ 455 American 22WMR Test Fire Pic's

Smokeless

I finally received my 22WMR barrel from Midway. [back ordered]

I swapped out the barrels which was a snap! I took pictures along the way but they sucked for detail so I won't post them.

It was very similar to changing out a Ruger 10/22 barrel. Two set screws and a magazine spacer was all. Really a slick set up and the ability to go from LR to magnum in the same rifle is nice. I don't think the 22LR barrel will see much action any more. If the Magnum barrel shoots as good as it's little brother did I will be happy.

Over all the CZ 455 is a decent little rifle. It does have a plastic mag well and plastic magazine but the rest is pretty good. Oh and it has a Rifle Basix trigger replacement too!

Last edited:
Dunno.? Does A&B make the barrels for CZ?

The barrel had no maker stamp but is stamped the same as the factory barrel that came off it. I assume that it came from CZ but I don't know if they make their own barrels.

Far as I know CZ makes all their own barrels.
I just asked if it was an A&B since that's Midway's main aftermarket mfg.
If it's a CZ barrel and history's any kind of barometer, it should be a shooter.
Let us know.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI wonder if CZ will add this new 17 Super Magnum rimfire to their 455 switch barrel lineup.

Probably not.
Since the new Super Mag's longer, the magazine/well could very well be an issue.

I got out today for a fast test run of the new barrel.

I tested 4 different types of ammo. Hornady 30gr V-max, Hornady Critical Defense 45gr FTX, CCI 30gr V-Max, and Federal Game Shok 50gr HP. All were 5 shots at 50yds.

Looks like Hornady 30gr V-Max and Federal 50gr Game Shok were the best.

Top left Hornady 30gr V-Max, bottom left CCI 30gr V-Max, top right Hornady Critical Defense 45gr FTX, bottom right Federal Game Shok 50gr HP.

Targettest22WMR003_zps891784e6.jpg

Targettest22WMR001_zpsbf3bf476.jpg

The ground is completely covered in snow and the sun was brutal [bright]. I can tighten these a little after I dig out my bench and range from the snow. Good start though. I'm happy so far.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessAny ammo suggestions for pure accuracy?

The boring ol' Winchester 40gr.hp's. You might want to try the Rem. 34gr. (33gr.?) green tip or the Winchester Supreme 34gr.hp.

NICE!

Even though it's plastic
tongue.gif
I like the way they've redesigned the magazine so it doesn't hang down so far.

No help on ammo as I locked in on the old Winnie 40gr JHP's years ago and haven't bothered to even try any of the new plastic tipped stuff.
Those Fed 50's sure look promising though, and the guys that use them for hunting sure sing their praises so at least you've got that going for ya. Heck, with groups like that, I don't see why they wouldn't work for "Rat Smackage" too.

Well done, and thanks for the write up.

Thanks guys!

I need to work with it some more. Maybe tomorrow a little more.

The glass is a Burris 4x and should work well for close work on rats and all things feral.

I will try some Winchester 40,s at some point, but for now those Federal 50,s have my attention. One group is not indicative of to much so more testing will be done. May even chrono some for fun.

I'll let you all know a better average on groups.

The Hornady V-Max,s I think will shoot better than the group I had simply because I had the first three shots in a nice cluster and then the last two went to pot. That was probably me more than the V-max's but we'll see.

The most accurate .22 mag ammo I have ever shot is the Remington 33 gr. Accutip V and V-Max, same weight. Might be worth a try.

Back