.22-250 vs .243 for Coyotes

My wife's uncle called me up tonight asking if his son could borrow one of my rifles for calling coyotes. They do most of their deer hunting in the ultra thick stuff where a long shot is 50 yards so they only have one scoped rifle, a .17 hmr. He'll be using my AR-15 5.56 carbine for the time being (it has a 3-9 Zeiss). He's doing quite a bit of hunting at night and a lot of his calling is done in more open country or clear cuts, hence the need for a scope.

Anyway, he also asked about purchasing a dedicated bolt action coyote rifle. I told him the .223 is a good caliber choice, but does lack the longer range knockdown he's looking for, plus the wind can start to wreak havoc past a couple hundred yards. I said either a .22-250 or .243 would be a good choice. Either way, I'd be reloading for him, so I recommended the .243. I said it gives him the option to run heavier bullets for better wind deflection. Plus, if he ever draws a wolf tag, he'll have enough gun.

What do you guys think? Did I steer him wrong?

Last edited:
I probably would have told him the same.

With Barnes bullets now days though, they are a game changer in 22 caliber, and six for that matter too.

If economics play any role, the 22 can be loaded for a bit cheaper overall, but really depends on the amount of shooting involved.

I like both but decided to go with a 243. I do a little deer hunting where a rifle is needed its taking care of both its needs.for me killing predators and deer.

If he is hunting at night he will not be shooting a long range, or at least shouldnt be. The 223 has works great at most ranges. The idea is to call them in close, not shoot them at over 500 yds. The wind is not going to affect it that much out to 300 yds unless it is blowing real hard. Then even the 243 is going to drift.

I went thru a lot of the same questions and after doing some of my own research and looking at the ft/lbs of energy at different yardages and wind drift/ballistics/etc. and checking out a lot of past discussions on a few forums I went with a .243 over a .223 or a 22-250.

I will have opportunities @ 400-500 yard shots in some of the areas I hunt and the .243 seemed like a perfect fit for me since I can also use it for deer here in Iowa and there's such a nice variety of ammo available for the .243 as well.

+1 on the 243, just a great all around cal for deer and other critters. Been yote hunting with one all year. Been a fun round to shoot and load for.

My .243 is my go to rifle. I do own a 22-250 and a .223 as well. They all have their place in the field but since I dont save the fur and like to anchor them where they stand, the .243 is the first one I grab for an all purpose calling rifle......

Last edited:
Out past 300 yards, I'd use a .243 but only if you are going to practice at those distances. If you are not going to spend the time and the dough to practice out that far, then you might as well use a wrist rocket.

I like the .243 because it is also a great round for deer, speed goats and hogs.

Man... You guys sure bring the heavy guns.

I'm gonna start callin you ".243 for coyote guys" the "Predator Masters Field Artillary Regiment"

PMFAR fer short! LOL
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: FurhunterMan... You guys sure bring the heavy guns.

I'm gonna start callin you ".243 for coyote guys" the "Predator Masters Field Artillary Regiment"

PMFAR fer short! LOL
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Good grief. I thought my 222 Rem was over kill at night.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: FurhunterMan... You guys sure bring the heavy guns.

PMFAR fer short! LOL
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Good grief. I thought my 222 Rem was over kill at night.

I prefer a shotgun when the sun goes down!

if its just for the yotes, 223 is where its at day and night but i went with a 243 a few years ago so i could deer hunt as well, even took a bear with it in WV after deer season was out, its a great caliber.

At longer ranges the 243 is nicer, especially on the fringe shots. But under 200 yards those 25-30lb coyotes really aren't that hard to kill.

The .243 turns Bobcats into salsa. Not good. A good cat's pelt is worth more than the clothes I'm wearing!

Any time your out calling there is a chance for a cat.

A .223 will kill any coyote alive. Might make you a better hunter in the process as well. That's just me though.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessThe .243 turns Bobcats into salsa. Not good. A good cat's pelt is worth more than the clothes I'm wearing!

Any time your out calling there is a chance for a cat.

A .223 will kill any coyote alive. Might make you a better hunter in the process as well. That's just me though.

+1

i have shot em with all 3 the 223, 22-250 and 243.

here are my notes:
223, had a couple run off and get away,had one runner then a pile up and a couple spinners none shot at more than 150 yards away.

22-250, a couple spinners and thats it. shot at 300 yards, no problem at all...like a darn lazer!

243, 0 runners, 0 spinners EVERY one i hit dumped up like he was hit in the head with a acme safe falling from the sky! BIG holes when you hit a sholder bone or spine..or hip. not advocating it but there are no "marginal shots" on a yoty when you hit him with a 243. they go down, thats it.

all said and done, im useing a 22-250 right now. id like to save the fur and i have total confadence in that 250 that im shooting. knock over bowling pins at 300+ yards 90% of the time, 150 yards or closer for calling style shots...just like hitting my mouth with a fork full of lasagna!! its a gimme!

Jered

You did well on recommending the 243.

When you throw bigger game in the mix or long range its better to have a little cushion on your end.

Back