Had it with the .204, the new Swift is coming out to play!

mikegranger

Just got back from a 5 day hunt. Story to come later but the big news is the .204 just doesn't kill coyotes like I would have hoped. Had two solid hits that got up and ran away. That's saying something when I have dogs that will chase them a long ways. Both escaped onto private property that I did not have permission to hunt. Bottom line is that 3 coyotes have ran away after being hit the past two hunts. Yes, it's fur friendly but I've come to the conclusion that I would rather kill a coyote decisively and sew a hole than watch the coyote run away.

Before those naysayers come out saying I just need to give it a chance, I've had the gun for five seasons now and killed over 150 coyotes with it, and have used both 35 and 40 grain Bergers. It doesn't buck the wind, not much better than a 300 yard caliber and almost every coyote I've shot in the boiler plate will run a ways before dying.

The Swift on the other hand is the Hammer of Thor. Long live the Hammer!

I came to the same conclusion on .22-250 versus .243, nothing was walking, spinning, jumping, or otherwise doing anything but dropping right where I shot them.

It only takes a few dozen hits to tell the difference between on caliber and another, it is what it is.

For me the .22-250 was 100% on anything under 200 yards, it was the 400yd+ shots that separated the two for me.

I'd probably feel the same way for the under 200yd stuff, but too many 400 plus yard shots pop up in breezy conditions for me to want to mess with a .204, it would cost me good hits.

Originally Posted By: mikegrangerJust got back from a 5 day hunt. Story to come later but the big news is the .204 just doesn't kill coyotes like I would have hoped. Had two solid hits that got up and ran away. That's saying something when I have dogs that will chase them a long ways. Both escaped onto private property that I did not have permission to hunt. Bottom line is that 3 coyotes have ran away after being hit the past two hunts. Yes, it's fur friendly but I've come to the conclusion that I would rather kill a coyote decisively and sew a hole than watch the coyote run away.

Before those naysayers come out saying I just need to give it a chance, I've had the gun for five seasons now and killed over 150 coyotes with it, and have used both 35 and 40 grain Bergers. It doesn't buck the wind, not much better than a 300 yard caliber and almost every coyote I've shot in the boiler plate will run a ways before dying.

The Swift on the other hand is the Hammer of Thor. Long live the Hammer!

Amen.

Well said.

I agree and have said as much on many occasions.

The Swift is King. The 22-250 kills coyotes well also. It's all about the bullet.

I wonder how many professional coyote hunters hunt with a 204?

I had a 204 for a short period of time. Great caliber. Shot like a laser, extremely accurate, and fairly easy to reload for. That being said, I believe it needs to stay in the gun safe when it the hunter is done popping Pdogs and Ghogs and starts going after coyotes. I have never shot a 204 at a coyote. Becuase I have seen too many of them get up after marginal hits with a 270, 25-06, and a 243. In my heart of hearts, I just new it wasn't goign to be all that great on a big midwest song dog with those little 32gr Vmax or even the 35gr berger bullets. General distance yote shots (except short range where a 12ga, 22mag head shots, or a 22 hornet shines) begins with a 223 remington in my calling fields.

Why did I get rid of my 204 ruger? Because I was able to do the same thing with ground hogs (and Pdogs) with my 223 Remington. One was taking away from the other.

That goes back to my belief that too many Coyote hunters push the .204 past it's intended envelope...The .204 was originally developed as a long distance "Varmint" (small animal) shooter...

A lot of Coyote hunters have adopted it's use for longer distance shots on larger animals and then put it down when it doesn't perform as they expected...Don't get me wrong, I take mine out, but I have yet to shoot a Coyote over 150 yards with it, and I don't know if I'd seriously make an attempt and expect a DRT with a good shot...It's just not a 'do all' caliber...

I thought about getting the old swift, but opted for a 22-250 AI instead. Though the 6XC hammers them a bit harder. Needle and thread is sometimes required.

Swift for me too. Had one 7-8 yrs ago and it was a yote killin machine. Sold it because it was a single shot. Wanted it back ever since. So, I went and bought one last week, should have it this week. I too don't think the 204 is intended for yotes.

I like my 222, and 223, both being very good coyote calibers, and stoppers. If I had to choose between the swift and the 22 250, I would choose the 22 250. Much better case geometry for case life when reloading, and power being practically equal.

Got a couple 204's that always seem to find their way out of the safe and into the field every year,..but I'd be lying if I didn't say I have at least one disappointment every year with them...and I'm blaming the driver, not the car,.gotta believe the extra horsepower will only help on those "oops" shots... I'm giving a big thumbs up for "Swift the Hammer" in the near future...just waiting on the brown truck with my box from Shilen to arrive to finish up my hammer!

I was going to build a swift or a 22-250ai, and voted on the 250 why I am not sure, I almost bought a 204 had it in my hand and everything and then decided not to.

Originally Posted By: Stevolwevolthe 22 250 has the edge on accuracy, and as I mentioned, better case life. Virtually equal in power.

No edge on accuracy - which is totally determined by the quality of the rifle and ammunition..

Originally Posted By: Stevolwevolthe 22 250 has the edge on accuracy, and as I mentioned, better case life. Virtually equal in power.

Please enlighten us on how one caliber can more accurate than another. I thought it was the gun and load. I must have missed something.
confused.gif
huh.gif

Accuracy ? My old m77 tang varmiter consistently shoots in the 3's and 4's and its rough as heck ! Sure gets some looks at the range when we pull targets and it looks like on shot from a 30 cal bullet. And it shoots like a laser 1/2" high at 100 and 1/2 low at 200 pretty much hold on the eyes at night

Now you went and done it! But no, in most cases a Swift will outshoot a 22/250. Not by much but usually the Swift will win.

When Bill Ruger decided to start chambering the M77 for the Swift (as told by Outdoor Life writer Jim Carmichael) he said that he could take one of his 22/250 rifles that shot 3/4" groups and rechamber the barrel to .220 Swift and shrink the groups to 3/8". That's a lot in my book.

I will agree that nowadays it makes more sense to buy a rifle in 22/250 that it does .220 Swift but not if you are looking for top notch accuracy. The differences will be small most likely, but they will be there.

Don't load the Swift to max pressure and the robust cases will last you a good long time too. And yes, I am a Swift owner and will be until I am worm food.

The .204 will kill dogs just fine. You know why they run when you hit them at ranges over 250 yards? Because you are not hitting them in the vitals. I have seen dogs get up and run when hit poorly with a 7mm mag. Most guys are not pushing the limits of the rifle, they are over stepping their own personal shooting limits. If guys that shoot 150 coyotes a year with a .17 rem and have no problems with it I can't see why a file shooting a heavier bullet at the same speeds would not work?

In the last 3 years I think I have had 1 or maybe 2 dogs run more then 20 yards after being hit in the vitals. Everything else drops on the spot without a flinch.

Before you retire the .204 to the safe maybe spend some time on the range and get to know your personal limits

Last edited:
Back