How...Why....Who...And When?

Bob/SoCal

Let's take a little poll shall we? It would be interesting to know how you younger guys got started in Predator Hunting. Was it something your dad or a relative got you started in? Did you read about it in a magazine and that peaked your interest? Maybe you found us on here and that got the juices flowing? Have you had a chance to put some use to what you've learned here? Let's hear it!

And don't forget, tell your buddies about the forum!

------------------
Bob
fdfa3b5b.gif

I got into on my own.... my dad use to hunt yotes all the time but he never tried to get me into it. Just thought it would be somthing fun for me to do.

------------------
" DON'T ruin a good deer by running your mouth "

My dad predator calls alot and I had gone with him a few time. I have hunted Deer, turkey, duck, geese, squrell, and many others ever since I can remember. My dad and uncle took me to binger ok. to call cyotes and quail hunt and shoot prairy dogs, we were at a late evening stand and my dad started ccccalling and in jusst a couple of minutes I hear my uncle shoot . Then again, Then again. He missed all three times at 200 yards. My dad was getting ready for us to go , when another cyote came over a hill in front of us. He was running broad side at about 70 yards. All I had was a 12 ga. with some steel bbs and he was alredy running and I figured why not I shot. The shot must have hit in front of him caose he turned and came straight at me. I shoot again at about 30 yards and miss again he keeps comeing. I finnaly rolled that cyote at about 15 feet. That was my first one and ever since then We have been going with my dad quite a bit and having a great time.

Sounds like you're having too much fun there Shane
biggrin.gif
. Sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your dad and that's worth damn near everything aint it? You're lucky I think, lot's of young men your age haven't got that kind of relationship going. Keep us posted on your hunting adventures!!

Bob

Bob/socal,
Yes me and my dad are very close, and that is worth a whole lot. He has taken me hunting and fishing and tought me how hunt and fish and other skills that I will need to know when i grow up. That is also worth quite a bit.

Shane

well my dad got me started in hunting in general but i learned how to coyote hunt by myself. I first got interested at a turkey seminar where Alex Rutledge was speaking. At the end of his presentation he said ho may of yall predator hunt. Like 2 people in the room held up there hands. Then he showed us some clips of operation predator. That is what hooked me to it. That same night i went and bought my first cal and have gotton worse since. That cal was a lohman dual tone hand call and now i have progressed to a johny stewert model 612 electronic call. I have yet to kill one but i am sure trying. My weekend is well known threw the school, i go hunt on friday saturday and most of the time sundays for yotes and coons. Everyone at schol knows this. I also tought myself how to bowhunt and it am proud to say that aftrer 5 years of getting skunked i got my first oportunity on a deer. My first time i ever got a shot with a bow was at a doe and i missed. Then after about 2 months had passed we had a day off from school. I went bowhunting and shot my first buck ever. I had shot deer with a rifle but never a bow. I had also never killed a legal buck before, just little spikes that count as does. I am getting him mounted and cant wait to see him again. He made my 7th deer that i had killed. If anyone can tell me how to post a pic of him i will. thanks

I'm 19. I guess that makes me "young".

I am a self taught hunter. My uncle hunts a little bit, but he lives too far away to have taken me out. I hunted deer, elk, and birds my first few years, but needed something to pass the winter time.

I moved to a new house as a freshman in highschool, and met kid down the road who was into hunting. His dad publishes Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. Anyway, I went coyote hunting with him a few times, but we never saw a thing. I started going out everyday. I'm one of those people who doesn't accept defeat. I went out 36 times before I finally called a dog in. After that, things started to click.

I'm really glad I stuck with it. Predator hunting offers a great challene and a fun way to spend the winter months.
I took my dad out a few weekends ago. Called in a group of five and shot one. He had fun, but he just doesn't have that hunter instinct that allows us to pull the trigger. Thats ok though. I like hunting by myself most of the time anyway. I think it offers a person a lot better chance at seeing critters.

rojo

[This message has been edited by rojo vapor (edited 02-21-2002).]

I was 5 when my Mom and Dad started taking me out target shooting,of course my dad had to help hold the gun,it was a 22. {My mom has pictures to prove it }. Then I got my first 22 when I was 7. We would go out almost every weekend when it was nice and target practice. Then i started shooting a couple of my Moms pistols. I really like them. Of course I've never shot her 357 mag.Then we started going coyote calling. My dad sure could call them in! My dad and I still went out calling and target shooting till he got sick. I'm lucky my Mom likes to hunt ,shoot,and go calling. My Mom is going to put in for elk this year,I sure hope we get drawn!
Matt

my dad's side of the family started me out with deer. i shot my first deer before i had even shot any rifle but the one i was using, a 30-30. my great grandpa varmint hunts, but no one else does. guess i just got myself interested

Back