******** #186 lbs ******** Story Added

Well , well .....proud of yourself???? Now you will have every one of us jumping and turning to look behind us on stands from now on looking for a huge cat stalking us.......Coyotes numbers will go up for sure. I was fishing (in Iowa) a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if I turned around and saw a lion behind me in the willows , how fast I could get my single shot .22 out of the holster and make a shot. Then a couple of days later I heard of a mountain lion sighting just half a mile from where I was fishing....makes you wonder if I was feeling the eyes on my back???? Great end of your story instead of a bad outcome. Cudos to you my steel nerved friend. Jim

Heck of a hunt and excellent replay. Glad you were able to save YOUR hide from serious damage or worse.

I think I would have got up for a look when I heard the first growl, YIKES. I'm too old and slow to give a lion a head start.

You should get a set of "Rear View Mirrors" for your calling hat.

Great story! That was truly the hunt of a lifetime. Thanks for posting.
thumbup.gif

I would still be shaking....The thought crosses my mind over here not cats but bears....
Unless someone calls in Bigfoot and shoots him with a.17 you got my vote for HOM...

You have lived one of my greatest fears while calling! My father has seen cougars where I usually hunt while I'm home. He's seen the tracks near the barn, which is close to their house. A few years ago I read a post here where someone set up near a ditch and was calling. A female coyote almost ran Him over coming from behind if I remember correctly. I'd mess my pants if a dog came frome behind, but a cougar is different. You usually don't hear the silent hunter!
Great story! As someone else said, you've definitely got us looking over our shoulders now..........
Glad you prevailed, could have been bad.

Glad things worked out, and you are around to tell the story. Not a reporter telling the story of a body found in the desert. The adrenalin really gets flowing when something like that happens. While bow hunting whitetails south Texas, I stepped over what looked like a 10-12" mesquite log in a wet area while stalking, well I noticed some movement just to the right of the path and saw the tongue flicking at me about 3' away. Largest rattle snake I have ever seen. Body was so large the only thing that diameter in the brush are trees that have fallen over. Snake was calm no one messes with them in the refuge. I stepped back as I was straddling the snake, and backed up a few yards. I watched the snake continue on its way. Then the adrenalin hit, took a few minutes to pass. I never got a full view of the snake but was over 11' easy. I have killed 7-9 footers and this one was not even close. Had it bit me, I don't think I would have made it out. No cell phone signal, 4 miles from the truck on foot, could have been a bad day. But ended up with a medium doe after all was said and done.

Back