Substituting IMR 4895 for H4895 in .223 Rem

upbvb

Hey guys, I bought some IMR 4895 thinking it was H4895, did some research and it seems like it will be acceptable for the 223 but is there a good rule of thumb for a load? Should I load a certain percent less or more with IMR4895 when using H4895 data? None of my books have IMR4895 listed, only H4895. I'll be using a 55 grain Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boattail, can get 63 grain Sierra Varminter bullets if those would produce better results. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: upbvbHey guys, I bought some IMR 4895 thinking it was H4895, did some research and it seems like it will be acceptable for the 223 but is there a good rule of thumb for a load? Should I load a certain percent less or more with IMR4895 when using H4895 data? None of my books have IMR4895 listed, only H4895. I'll be using a 55 grain Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boattail, can get 63 grain Sierra Varminter bullets if those would produce better results. Thanks.

IMR-4895 and H-4895 are not the same, but very, very close.

Either will work fine with the 55 SGK or the 63gr bullet.

Max for the 55gr bullet is ~26gr of either powder, and max for the 63gr bullet is ~25.5 for either powder.

As usual, drop 10% and work up... and look for the usual suspects.

You can go to the Hodgdon powder site (google it) and get the data for both powders. Powders are not the same so data not exactly the same. Get the data from the maker!

I think H in a touch faster burning than IMR. But. Its best if you get the data from the maker/ website. There is TONS of data on the Hodgdon site. . It's not exhuastive on bullet selection, but is pretty much with their powder.

H and imr are very similar, 2 different companies so its 2 different powders. There are recipes online for both powders for 223. 4895 is one of the most versatile powder like var get and universal.

Originally Posted By: EJ ReichenbachI always thought h4895 was hotter

Whoops...

Yes... IMR-4895 teeny bit slower... or, H-4895 is a teeny bit faster.

Last edited:
I have tried both side by side with the same powder charge and bullet and they were very close...I could tell the difference in my groups but it was very close to same size and same POI.

Back