M&P Shield Vs. Springfield EMP

I own a M&P Shield and a Springfield EMP, both in 40 S&W. Both guns have a manual safety, and the safety on the Shield is very small in comparison and not very easily felt as the gun is being pulled from the holster and brought into action.

A cocked and lock 1911 variant such as the EMP is extremely easy to find the safety on as its being brought into action. In addition, in the cocked and lock condition with a decent holster it is an extremely safe hand gun.

If weight is a CC concern, the M&P wins that issue between the two pistols mentioned.

As far as which is the better gun for me, the EMP is well worth the extra cha-ching. And don't let the 1911 doubters tell you that you need a PHD in physics with hours of rote training to bring a 1911 into action quickly. Mr. Browning designed the pistol very well from the git go, and they all are very easy to operate.

You don't have to engage the safety of the Shield if you don't want to. Many Shield owners click it OFF and never fool with it at all. Some even remove the safety and don't miss the little lever being gone. Yet, if a person decides they want the safety it is there if that makes one feel more comfortable. Personally, I wish Smith & Wesson would offer the Shield with no safety like they do for most of their M&P line. Six of one - half dozen of another.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GCYou don't have to engage the safety of the Shield if you don't want to. Many Shield owners click it OFF and never fool with it at all. Some even remove the safety and don't miss the little lever being gone. Yet, if a person decides they want the safety it is there if that makes one feel more comfortable. Personally, I wish Smith & Wesson would offer the Shield with no safety like they do for most of their M&P line. Six of one - half dozen of another.
smile.gif

I agree completely with what you said and I was surprised when I looked at the Shield the first time to see that it had a safety.

On the other side of the coin, many unknowing new gun owners should probably use it since its there to keep a wayward finger from causing a pocket surprise as the gun is drawn and snags on something while the shooter is withdrawing the pistol under both external threat pressure and pocket pressure. I recognize it shouldn't be an issue, but it definitely can be with some people.

I guess I was addressing the statement about 1911's being hard to use more than anything. I've tried about any and all of the various newer style pistols and I still prefer the simplicity of the 1911. But, on the flip side of that issue, I've used various 1911's for a lot of years versus time spent using the numerous "wonder-nines" and plastic pistols that are popular today, even though I own a bunch of them, including the 40 S&W Shield that I mentioned earlier.

Just my take on it.

I absolutely hate my M&P, it throws the shells either in my face or top of my head. Nothing like hot brass down your neck to get the blood pumping.

Back