GRR!!! savage model 340 E!!!!!

Wv hunter

ok guys so i have a savage 340 E in 222... it has got to be one of the worst guns made when it comes to finding a scope that it will tollerate... every scope i have tried to put on the gun either the bell hits (which i have solved this problem with a higher mount) or the bolt hits the scope when you open it up to "shuffle" a shell in... do you guys know of a scope like an older simmons, nikon, really nice bushnell, etc that will work on this gun? a scope like 4.5x12x40 or something like is what im looking for... please help guys im lost and i need help im ready to send this gun through a concrete wall

Last edited:
The exterior shape of most scope don't really differ to awful much. What kind of scope are you trying to put on it now that you are having such fits with?

Dad has one with the same Bushnell Banner on since the 60's/70's?? I had a cheap Bushnell Sportview 4 - 12 on mine when I had it. I recall the bolt knob getting close, but not hitting.

Not that common anymore but a 3-9X32 would have the length and smaller objective. I had an older 6x40 Simmons Prohunter mounted on mine when I sold it.

Find a weaver or leupold without the fast focus feature the ocular bell is smaller than scopes with quick focus.

Weaver 4.5x, weaver side mount and ring set worked well for me, fajen replacement stock stock.

Savage840Rem700attherange008.jpg

Don't get too mad at it these little guys can really shoot once you get them squared away, this one has the barrel bedded full length. With care small groups can be shot with lower power scopes. After 3 shots this one would start to walk a little.

Springfield840001.jpg

Put a bigger scope on it and moved out to 300 yards.

22810300yds003.jpg

Last edited:
i was trying to put a simmons aetec on it but have gave up on it and put it on my 7 mag... i like the couple more powers like 10 and 11 or 12 or even 14, but maby i wont be able to have that luxury? i had a tasco world class somethingx10x40 or something on it but traded it for that simmons i was just talking about. i have a bushnell sport view like was mentioned above but the crosshairs are blurry when it gets out to about 100 yards... i am no gun smith or anything and i dont know why this is? how much do the leupolds you where talking about run? i have never even looked at leupold cause they where always out of my price range so i figured better not temp myself lol. i have never owned any really high end scopes but am trying to convert the give the guns i have a nicer scope. my buddy has a nikon buckmaster something by 14 that he may sell me, what are your guys predictions on how that would work?

Last edited:
You're gonna just have to try them out. The gun was built back when most scopes were less bulky, and only has one scope mounting set-up really - older scopes would probably be more apt to fit better, or maybe one that is longer will move the eyepiece back further to clear the bolt for you.

I have a 340C and was told by a guy that has the same rifle that I would need to use a 32mm objective in order for a proper fit. I have yet to mount anything other than the Williams peep sight on mine.

I have the Savage/Springfield 840 (same thing as the 340) in a 30-30. It was my first centerfire rifle. My dad bought it for me when I was in the 8th grade. Killed my first 5 or 6 deer with it, and my first hog.

It has a 4x32 Bushnell on it and the bolt is very close. I have not even taken it hunting in a long time since I have better rifles now, but may just have to take it out for old times sake.

Originally Posted By: varminter05I have a 340 and I put a mount that has the weaver pictany rail on it. I have a 3.5 x 10 x 50 on it with NO issues at all.... what 3.5x10x50 do you have?

Back