Best "one size fits all" small varmint/game caliber?

Tytalus

Hi everyone, I'm new here and to hunting in general.

I'm wanting to get my first gun soon and am looking at the small calibers for something that I can plink with and go after small game/varmints in the

Last edited:
For the most part, what is suitable for small game (ie: doesn't destroy it) will be on the small size for predators. A 22wmr might fit the bill but it sounds like 2 rifles are best: 22LR or 22wmr for plinking and small game and 223 for plinking and predators. It also depends what is on your predator hit list, if wolf is on it I'd definitely wouldn't have a rimfire as my predator rifle

The 22lr and 17hmr are great for shooting close range at things like rabbits, squirells and the like. I say close range as in under 50 yards. Probably more like under 25 yards for reliable kills.

If I was limited to one caliber only it would definitely be a .223 plenty of power for any small game out to 150 yards and a wide array of bullet choices. But personally I would make a shotgun as my first gun, you can hunt virtually anything with a nice shotgun. Granted not the same distance shots on things like coyotes but it literally covers everything from deer to waterfowl.

Last edited:
There really isn't a one size fits all. I don't know what kind of small game/varmints you have in British Columbia but from squirrel sized game all the way to fox size game the only cartridge I'd be looking at is the 22 WMR. A .22LR would be a better choice for squirrels/rabbits and such, but IMHO lacks the required energy to anchor raccoons and fox size critters consistently. Here is where the 22mag really shines. Just remember that you will pretty much need to stick to headshots on squirrels and rabbits to avoid excessive meat damage with the 22wmr.

Just my 2 cents...worth exactly what you paid for it.

Originally Posted By: ToryThe 22lr and 17hmr are great for shooting close range at things like rabbits, squirells and the like. I say close range as in under 50 yards. Probably more like under 25 yards for reliable kills.

What are you smoking?.....

Originally Posted By: huntsman22Originally Posted By: ToryThe 22lr and 17hmr are great for shooting close range at things like rabbits, squirells and the like. I say close range as in under 50 yards. Probably more like under 25 yards for reliable kills.

lol.gif
I was wondering the same thing

22 magnum. With the kinda new CCI 40gr. Game point it makes the 22 magnum the best all around small game varmint round. Ive been shooting this round for over a year now it works great on small game with little damage to the meat and gives the penitration needed for coyotes, bobcats.

If you decide on .22 LR, pick up some Aguila Supermaximum ammo. It is available in a 30 grain hollow point and zips down range at 1,750 feet per second, or darn near as fast as the .22 magnum. Bullet weight is lighter, so doesn't have as much knock Down power as the magnum, but will put down Yotes out to 100 yards or so with proper shot placement. I keep both my rifle and pistol loaded with it. Fantastic ammo, but use regular ammo for plinking. With all the controversy in the gun world lately, I would choose a 22-250 over a .223

Originally Posted By: huntsman22Originally Posted By: ToryThe 22lr and 17hmr are great for shooting close range at things like rabbits, squirells and the like. I say close range as in under 50 yards. Probably more like under 25 yards for reliable kills.

I have had more tree rats survive head shots past 25 yards than I care to count. Confirmed hits where they fell out of the tree, I walked up to collect my "bounty" and had to hit them with the but of my gun or snuff them out because there was no penetration. Do excuse my ignorance though, it was not with a 17 it is with a regular ole 22.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tory
I have had more tree rats survive head shots past 25 yards than I care to count.

How do you know they 'survived'?.....

Originally Posted By: huntsman22Originally Posted By: Tory
I have had more tree rats survive head shots past 25 yards than I care to count.

How do you know they 'survived'?.....

I guess they may not have if I would have left them there to suffer? They probably would have eventually died I feel its a bit more humane to end their life. Every one is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that a 22lr is under powered for anything past 25 yards or so.

Seriously?...... If you can't 'reliably' kill past 25 yds with a head shot, why take them in the first place? Are you confined to a wheelchair, and can't get closer? To a range you can hit from?

All of these were taken well past 25yards. With a a lowly 22 none the less.
4186F9A3-4946-4A63-AB92-95671D4BB062-1557-0000017B210DDE9F.jpg

These 12 even fell to the 22short
5e05cf69.jpg

I suppose you would have used a center fire for this guy then? The cci segmented HP seemed to work real well for me. Don't tell the opossum it was just a .22. A 25 yard gun at the most

3c6be6e5.jpg

Originally Posted By: huntsman22Seriously?...... If you can't 'reliably' kill past 25 yds with a head shot, why take them in the first place? Are you confined to a wheelchair, and can't get closer? To a range you can hit from?

Accuracy is not the problem or at least not my problem. The original question (before it was edited only contained the first paragraph) but if you think the 22 is the best platform for all small game out to 150 yards go ahead and think that.

I don't think it's (the 22lr) the best choice out to 150 but I darn sure know it (again the .22lr) and the 17 hmr (even though I'm not too fond of it) are very capable killers well past 25.

There is nothing wrong with the .22lr, if you match your ammunition to the game you're after...

I used to have a 17HMR and sold it for some of the reasons stated,,,too explosive with to few DRT situations at longer ranges...

I'll stick with my .204 and .223 when I have to go longer than 125 yards...My .22lrs can reach out to 100...It's more a matter of knowing your weapon and the ammo used...

Availability of reasonably priced shooting is another factor for the .22lr...If you are going to 'plink', both the .17M2 and .17 HMR, can get pretty expensive, especially for a beginner...I've had over 65 years of shooting a .22 and have no qualms about using it for most game if necessary...

I would look for a nice 222. There are lots out there, and a wide variety of ammo choices, and has the edge on accuracy when compared to other 22 centerfires. People don't go nuts and hoard this caliber like the 223 every time there is a shooting, or an election.
grin.gif

Back