Baiting

I put out a road kill at a new site several days ago, payed it a visit last night, sat until dark no takers. The other bait site still has no takers. Been calling also and no luck as of yet.

6mm06
I cut some cedar logs and sawed them out on a sawmill. I used 2X2’s to frame the walls and ceiling and 2X4’s for the floor 4X6’s for two skids. We notched the 4X6”s and inset the floor joists. ½” cedar board and baton on the outside walls. The door will be going on tomorrow as well as ½” X8” Teflon skies over the skids. I will be covering the inside walls as well. Even thou its cedar its far from light but with the 8” wide Teflon skies my Bear Cat with a 22” wide track will tow it 25 mph on good going.
I am also building 2 smaller shooting shacks. I am building a 4’X8’ frame from 2X2”s 1 foot on center cover the bottom with 1/8” Luann plywood spray foam the frame then cover the floor with ½” plywood. We are framing the walls with 1X2’s and covering with a cotton sheet (for the outside walls). Then we are painting the sheet on the outside walls with epoxy paint then spray foam the inside walls and roof. I will have 1 bunk and a shooting window and a small heater. I am using 2- 2X4’s for skids covered with Teflon. This should be a very light portable hunting blind that will fit between the wheel wells of a truck.
My buddy has a spray foam business so he can spray foam insulation in these in about 5 min and it makes the structure rock solid and very warm and light.

Scalloper,

Sounds like you have it down to a fine art with the buildings. Insulating as you have, and as small as the building is, it should heat really well. Even my 8x12 building heats well with a 10,000 BTU heater. This whole adventure sounds really exciting, though no doubt will be a lot of work involved.

I'm very anxious to see the results of all of this. Keep us posted along the way.

ok well i spent yesterday afternoon setting up my bait site. 1st i took my driveway patrol and did the antenna mod and took 3 sensors and taped them together which i mounted on a piece of reed rod to give me 360 degrees of sensor coverage,then i mounted the reciver in the bedroom with the antenna out the window giving it line of sight.
1356810472560_zps85361ef5.jpg

1356810467324_zpsbb65b851.jpg

1356810469916_zps2be744fe.jpg

then i set up my shooting station aka window out of porch and my shooting bench and set the bait and sensors out in the field.
1356810469438_zpsc7a02c23.jpg

1356810471356_zpsc12b0f52.jpg

last year this set up work very well for me but i had to limit it to 60 yds because the sensor would read past that and alot of the time it would go off but i would find the yote at opposit end of the field ,hopeing the 3 sensor set up will remedy that. i tested with my dog and it seems to work great! now i just need some yotes. i had a pic of one in the field a few days ago so im sure it wont take long

Deerslyr - looks like a good setup, should be GTG. Good luck and keep us posted.

btw, I grew up in Mass (Webster, Southbridge area), whereabouts do you hunt?

Bait site continues to be active, with deer and fox coming regularly after dark most nights. Had a couple trips on the Chamberlain with no camera activity – pretty sure they were hit 'n runs by the lone yote I saw before. Bobcats were back one morning (saw their tracks along a fallen tree) but we had heavy snow overnight and the camera lense was covered so no pics. I taped over the green LEDs on the Chamberlain sensors, seems to do the trick in avoiding spooking. Dropping them lower has really increased sensitivity, even picked up a squirrel yesterday afternoon.

Here's my first daylight customer caught on video - came back multiple times, and appears to be settling down a bit.

Had the crosshairs on it once, going through a dry run, but decided to give a pass for a few days, let him get the word out to others. Figure a few days can't hurt, then “Light's Out” this weekend.

Got my new PVS 14 two days ago, still getting used to it, but my initial impression is just WOW! Even without the IR illuminator, no trouble seeing the bait and critters on a dark and cloudy night with no stars visible. Snow covered ground certainly helps, but I'm quite sure on the darkest of nights with no snow this thing is going to light em up with the IR! I did mount it to my rifle with a 3-10 x 44 scope,
very good picture up to 6x, struggled a bit with focus and diopter adjustments past that.

Looking forward to first blood, hoping to get it on film. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Hey Lefty, that's great. Nice video of the coyote in the snow. Hopefully he will continue coming to the site and you will settle a crosshair on him.

Glad you got the sensors to working well.

I'm anxious to hear about the PVS-14, how you will set it up with your day-time scope etc. Hoping to see some good photos later.

lefty, my camp is in warwick ma, deep/big woods 1/2 mile from the nh border. i just got my mx-160 today gonna take a look at it in a bit (waiting for the girlfriend to leave
smile.gif
)

Had a fox visit the bait a week ago, since then nothing. Somewhat slow , hoping things pick up. Calling has been a bust also, the last action i had was getting booger barked on Chrismas night by a yote downwind where i couldnt see.

Whelp, I just missed my first coyote on my bait for the season. I placed this bait on the edge of the field about two weeks ago. The recent deep snow and colder temp.s finally has them coming in. The bait is about 275 yards from my shooting hide (bedroom window). I rushed the shot and had a stiff wind also. I circled the site in a 100 yard swing and found no signs of a hit, but a lot of fresh tracks in and out of the area. It was at 9:00 am when I shot, this tells me that they are hungry.

very cool greenmountain...they must be hungry last year i only took one yote at my bait during light and that to was right after a snow storm. i'm hoping my bait will produce by end of week its simmering now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: greenmountainboyWhelp, I just missed my first coyote on my bait for the season. I placed this bait on the edge of the field about two weeks ago. The recent deep snow and colder temp.s finally has them coming in. The bait is about 275 yards from my shooting hide (bedroom window). I rushed the shot and had a stiff wind also. I circled the site in a 100 yard swing and found no signs of a hit, but a lot of fresh tracks in and out of the area. It was at 9:00 am when I shot, this tells me that they are hungry.
I was just talking to my buddie who just moved from here to VT. He was watching 2 fox in his feild. Whats the rules on hunting at night? He thought he read that its allowed but without a light. He said he is going to check up on it. Could he use NV?

I had a little activity at the bait site last night. This cat appears to be a rather large one.
He chewed on a deer bone I had wired down to a stake, but didn't seem to touch the loose
chunks I had lying around.

I'm hoping this cat will remain in the area. Maybe I can call him.

Click on the photos to view the video. A light snow was blowing a bit.

Originally Posted By: dog drillercan hunt at night --can not use light -- i believe nv is ok

Lights/Laser Sights
It is illegal to intentionally throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, jack, or other artificial light on any highway, or any field, woodland, or forest, in order to spot, locate, take, or attempt to spot, locate or take any wild animal.

A light may be used to illuminate and shoot raccoon once treed by a dog, or dogs, during the raccoon hunting season. A light may also be used to illuminate a raccoon once treed by a dog, or dogs, during the training season.

Laser sights are illegal for hunting.

You can hunt coyotes 24/7 but no artificial lights. Fox may NOT be hunted after dark. Raccoons are the only exception for using a light. I believe that night vision is legal, but the illuminators, if used are artificial lights.

Last edited:
That clears things up. Thanks

My coyote hunting has taken a sour turn. Sunday we got 20" of powder on top of the 6" we already had. Nearly impossable to get the shooting shack out 2-3 miles back in these conditions. And the coyotes are working the deer yard heavily

Scolloper.....maybe use a sled.and a pop up blind? Not as warm as a shooting shack but might do the trick. I havent had much activity at my bait yet so.saturday im going to take a snowmobile and head to a deer yard and do some calling

Thats about my only option at this time. I dont like to play around with them too much its been my experence that most times they only give you one chance.

Back