17 HMR for coyotes to small?

I have a 17 HMR and i wasnt sure if it was to small for coyotes are not. I know if I can get them to within 50 yards it puts them down pretty good as long as I make a good heart or head shot. I havent tried to shoot one outside a 100 yards with it yet. Just wandering if its to small for any shots outside 50 yards.

Originally Posted By: ditchandgullyriderI have a 17 HMR and i wasnt sure if it was to small for coyotes are not. I know if I can get them to within 50 yards it puts them down pretty good as long as I make a good heart or head shot. I havent tried to shoot one outside a 100 yards with it yet. Just wandering if its to small for any shots outside 50 yards.

What has your experience been so far within 50yds when you don't make a good shot?. Right there's your answer...double the distance won't double the performance. If you have a 17hmr you can trade it for a Savage Axis .223 or .22-250 or just save up for a centerfire to add along side the 17hmr.

Last edited:
This question comes up once a week. Answer is no and it is not humane. 22mag, maybe.

Like said get a savage axis and be done with it.

Last edited:
I used a 17HMR as my truck,4-wheeler, tractor gun for a number of years. I killed about half a dozen coyotes with it....everyone graveyard dead on the spot. I prefer a 223 or bigger, but do not doubt the killing ability of the 17.

Unless you want to recover nothing but 4 feet and a tail id look elsewhere.

(Someone had to say it
smile.gif
)

In reality i once rolled a coyote 3 times with 3 hits at about 100 yards, lost the blood trail and never recovered. 1st last and only time i ever went prairie dogging without at least a 223 as a backup gun.

The 17 HMR is a fine 150 yard prairie dog rifle but the 20 Gr bullet energy level is only 140 ft/lb at 100 yards. Take a look at the 204 Ruger round. The 40 GR bullet has 674 ft/lb from a 26 In barrel at 300 yards. The 53 Gr V-Max from a 223 Rem will still have 716 ft/lb of energy at 300 yards.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98I used a 17HMR as my truck,4-wheeler, tractor gun for a number of years. I killed about half a dozen coyotes with it....everyone graveyard dead on the spot. I prefer a 223 or bigger, but do not doubt the killing ability of the 17.

But how many ran off wounded??

I had one and I used it for fox and otter. Only lost one otter that I hit well, but that was enough for me. I sent it on down the road.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: kymailman98I used a 17HMR as my truck,4-wheeler, tractor gun for a number of years. I killed about half a dozen coyotes with it....everyone graveyard dead on the spot. I prefer a 223 or bigger, but do not doubt the killing ability of the 17.

But how many ran off wounded??

NONE.......ZERO.......NADA.........every single one of them died where they were shot. Granted, none were shot over a 100 yards, but I hit where I aim and an not used to having anything run off wounded. The 17 HMR was not meant to be a long range coyote cartridge, but it will most certainly do the job when the bullet is placed in the right spot at a decent range. Those who say differently fall into one of two categories.....they either have never used a 17, or they are the people who think a 50 BMG is about right for coyotes. I'm not justifying it's use, as I use something bigger and better these days, all I'm doing is just reporting the facts.

The .17 HMR is one fine little round - for it's intended purpose. I love the cartridge. It's as good a light-weight crow sniper as you can get, in my opinion. It's adequate on groundhogs with good shots. No doubt it will kill fox, bobcats and coyotes too, but does that mean that we "go after" them with that tiny round?

A lot of guys on here have proved the HMR works for predators, but also a .22 long rifle has killed many head of deer, as well as some rather large barn yard hogs that I watched my Dad shoot in the head. That doesn't necessarily mean those tiny rounds are ones of choice for the job at hand, although they have proven capable of downing an animal. Would you deliberately go after a grizzly with a .243?

Better to pick a cartridge with reliable power for the specific job.

Just me thinking out loud, and that's not to put down anyone who uses an HMR for such things with success. If that's all I had to hunt coyotes with, or was restricted to it, I would do it, but do it carefully. I just don't like to see wounded game run off, whether shot with an HMR, 6X45 or a 7mm magnum.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: marcoWhen you can put a 17gr.V-max in a coyotes eye at 200 what else do you need?

BS! That's right, I said it.

+1
Even Olympic gold medal winners can't do that. I have known a few and none would even attempt such a shot.

Jack

Back